Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air Disc Brake Caliper Installed On The Wrong Side

Hunter013 · 2025-07-28 08:52

Needed a new caliper on the p/s. Called Kenworth, used their part number and went to the local truck parts store and they had an aftermarket in stock. After I installed the new caliper, I saw it said it was for the left side. Everything fit up as it should and I couldn't see anything super obvious that would cause a problem. Will this affect anything?

Replies11
  1. #1Truck Shop2025-07-28 23:05

    @ 5:52 am and no one replied all day. Probably because it wasn't a allison Q. * Bendix or Wabco? Air disc calipers have been superseded ump-teen times. In case like this, photos would be good. Normally not swappable because of bolt mounting pattern, plus where brake chamber mounts, but with that said some could be flipped side to side, although I never tried. All Wabco and Bendix are marked left and right, personally-----I wouldn't do it, liability.

  2. #2Coaldust2025-07-28 23:32

    Didn’t think it was possible to flip them right or left. That’s interesting.

  3. #3Cliffy2025-07-28 23:44

    Run into this before on a quad dog trailer. It depends if the calliper is mounted in front or behind the axle. Seamed to function normally.

  4. #4Truck Shop2025-07-29 07:41

    Most trailer are to the rear, most drive are to the front. Mostly depends on vertical or horizontal bolting, but since intro of design it's changed countless times too. On the drive axle it's the area where air chamber mounts that if flipped would interfere with suspension/mounting, it's steer that could be swapped possibly, but op didn't say which position he was working on. {clocking position} * Now about those allison's.

  5. #5Hunter0132025-07-29 14:12

    It was the p/s drive axle. It was in front of the axle. All mounting holes seemed to be symmetrical. Truck is running fine so ill let it be.

  6. #6Hunter0132025-07-29 14:15

    Bendix ADB22X. I saw a "L" on it after i just finished tightening all the mounting bolts down. It was also one of those situations where it was Saturday morning, parts stores are about to close and we needed the truck first thing Monday. Everything fit fine, so I figured it was fine to run.

  7. #7Hunter0132025-07-29 14:18

    I didn't think that question would have gotten that much attention. lol

  8. #8Truck Shop2025-07-29 22:40

    Ah some others learned.

  9. #9cfherrman2025-07-30 13:18

    Yeah here you go again putting others down on this forum. I'm hope your glad with the chilling effect it creates and people end not trying to help others here.

  10. #10Truck Shop2025-07-30 22:17

    No that's not so---It was good info for others, so others learned. Who pulled your chain?

  11. #11Welder Dave2025-07-31 16:35

    Did I miss something? I don't see where Truck Shop was putting anybody down. As far as trucks I doubt there are many with his level of experience. He's helped a lot of people on the forum including myself. I'd still be fighting an annoying loss of prime issue nobody else could solve if it weren't for him. I wish he lived closer. I'm sure he could help with some other issues on my dump truck.