I have been working on a 2010 KW that was just bought. The air dryer that is mounted behind the bumper on the Right side leaks air out after the engine is shut off. It will blow for some time and then stop. Is this normal? It also has the Govener mounted on it. Is their a book on air brakes that i can get? I have been working on trucks on and off for 40 years and the newer trucks have more stuff than they need.
bendix or meritor ? it should only "spit" a short time after governor cut-out go to the website of manufacturer, they usually have all kinds of tech sheets you can print. I would guess it is the same as my 2010 pete, a bendix AD-IS http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=2850 http://www.bendix.com/en/servicessupport/documentlibrary/doclib_1.jsp 525
Thats what it has a Bendix AD-I5. It dosent just spit it blows air for maybe 1 minute after the engine is shut off.
sounds like maybe an issue with the governor,maybe. they have a trouble shooting page http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=4956 try that maybe. good luck! 525
My money is that there is some problem with the purge valve in the bottom that is supposed to blast loudly when it unloads. They work very similarly to the good old AD-9 and AD-4 that we were all used to. Except the purge volume is not a big shell around the cartridge any more, it is that small pancake reservoir next to it. So when the compressor unloads the purge valve is supposed to open quickly and blow out any water and oil in the bottom, then slowly trickle out the air remaining in the purge volume reservoir to dry out the cartridge. Same as it ever was just that things are in a different place now. They are supposed to drain air for a minute after blasting but the lack of initial blast is concerning. So I surmise that the purge valve is opening only a tiny bit causing the air to leak out slow instead of blasting and leaking out slow. I remember I did a purge valve kit on one of them once but I don't remember why I thought it was necessary or what the failure was.
I havent looked at it agin but it seams like sometimes it would blow off then leak a little air for a minute and stop then some times it would leak air for a minute. Their was some shop drama over it being in the shop to long so it went out before i could look at it agin.
If the governor seems to be functioning correctly (cut in at about 100 and out at about 130 on a 2010 truck) then I would just throw a purge valve kit on it. It is a half to one hour job if you haven't done it before and pretty self explanatory. It should exhaust sharply when it cuts out, like any air dryer, and then slowly trickle air for about a minute, like any air dryer, but the post purge is normally so quiet that you can't even hear it unless you turn off the engine.
You need to put on a new air dryer. That one is gonna fail in one day or one year either way if you don't change it , it will leave you stranded.