My daily driver F250, is nickel and diming to death. Time to move it on well it's still worth something. I am stuck on ford's...so is there any reason to wait for 2015 or save few bucks and get 2014 at end of product year? Currently tow 10k lbs either float with mini or dumptrailer with fill/gravel. Likely going with f350 crew long box diesel. Thxs
Daully? I keep up with fords less than the other 2, is there any big changes from the 2014 to the 2015?. If there's not something you like better about the 2015 I would certainly save a little and buy a 2014.
Single wheel f350 is on shopping list. Does anyone know if ford is making any changes to superduty series that would help make my decision on which year to buy? Thxs
Big increase in horsepower and torque due to a different turbo and some other changes to the same 6.7. I think most of the big chassis changes are on the F-450 though, but I could be wrong. I was a Ford man all my life, but the last powerstroke that tried to bankrupt me scared me away from the brand altogether. But mainly because my dealers are useless.
I have been on Chevy and am now looking at Dodges, Although I no longer believe in buying brand new fleet trucks. I probably pay for it in maintenance but am trying to upgrade my front line excavation equipment. Regards, CD
When that 6.7 comes out of warranty it won't be nickel and diming you it will send you right to bankruptcy. Buy a Dodge
I've got a 2,000, 2007, and a 2009 F-350. The 09 model has been in the shop more than its been on the road. If I get it running it is getting traded in. I'm done with Ford
I agree, buy dodge! I just read that the 2015 ford has 400hp and 800lbs of torque, I don't know what it was but I guess that's an increase. I garuntee you a dodge will get better mileage and and run longer with less engine and all around truck issues.
I drive a 2012 with a 6.7 and it is awesome. Not a glitch or issue yet. Great power, quiet and overall a great truck. Personally if the trucks look the same on the outside and no major cosmetic changes then I would get the 2014 and save some money.
Sorry to say guys, another buddy has same truck as mine 4x4, crew, longbox but 2012 Dodge and he just spent big $$ money to chip it and do exaust because it was only getting 23L/100kms (10 mpg) AND he is the Boss! As his guys will tell you, that truck does not have transfer tank and never pulls any real trailers. He has very heavy foot! Mine truck might as well be a road tractor, as it very rarely is bobtailing (ie not pulling Atleast 10k load intown) and I am get 24L (9.8mpg) AND his Dodge was continually was in shop for throwing codes and sensors! I think all the stuff today is disposable and we're not going to get 1/2 million miles like we did with old diesels! I am really Looking at leasing for next truck for 3 or 4yrs and dropping it off at dealer. Would have known monthly expenses and just bill that out with jobs and move on. If 2015 ford is getting stupid horse power and torque are they simply "chipping the trucks" in factory as those are the numbers I here after chipping. Is this a major change that will take a year to work out bugs?
They are actually going to be 424 h,p/850 torque. Like I said, they changed the turbo and some other components, but same engine. They've had issues since they came out....can't wait to see what they do with all the extra power. I don't think you can anything good anymore anyway. Not pickups or class 8 trucks anyway. They all seem to be junk now. Like my $180,000 hand crafted one at a time premium Western Star (as THEY describe them) Has more build quality flaws than I can list here.
These types of threads always seem to devolve into Ford/Dodge/Chevy sucks and my cousins, father-in-law's dog catcher has one and it's cost him a zillion dollars. Let's keep on topic and provide real life experience. Do you have a 6.7 out of warranty that has drove you into bankruptcy? With the emission requirements, all these new engines have the potential to be money pits as they rack up the miles because this technology is not added to extend the life or performance of the engine.
actually YES YES I DO HAVE A 6.7 LITER FORD THAT HAS COST ME A MINT!!!! Ford has actually bought it back from me Friday afternoon & reimbursed me for all the $$$$$$ that I have had to pay outa my pocket for all the repairs.. it shoulda been painted yellow from the factory,(no one buy a red F250 in Indiana with 35000 miles on it) im just happy to get rid of it & IM going to go to a chevy GAS MOTOR
Bottom line is they all suck! Thank you EPA! When it comes to new trucks I think dealer service is more important than the actual brand.
That's the kind of information that pertains to the discussion, as I said all these new motors are going to have issues. With only 35K miles, why wasn't it covered under warranty? That doesn't excuse you getting a lemon, just curious. BTW - There's no reason to yell...:cool2
Bottom line is: no matter what brand or piece of equipment, you can get a "lemon" and be haunted with problems until it is gone. FYI- My Bobcat service manager was telling me that after every RB auction their shop is overloaded with machines that went to auction for various reasons..
I would wait for the new turbo and added power. Price shouldn't be a huge difference just beat them down to invoice. I just feel ford has a good reason for going back the the old turbo they used in the 6.0L. Although more power don't mean **** if they use torque management to put that power where it doesn't do any good to save the trans and engine life. I'm a Chevy guy. I think they build the best all around trucks. That doesn't mean others don't have their advantages and they all have there issues and lemons.
sorry bout the yelling im still worked up over that POS!!!!! the first thing that went wrong the first week I had it was the 3rd brake light leaked & ran water down the headliner back seat!! at 10000 miles was the transfer case was basically cut in half by the mainshaft, leaking oil & making a awful racket... service mgr said that he thought it was abuse on my part cause I had a gooseneck ball in the bed!!! I showed him the trailer not even dual tandem.. said I would have to pay labor they would take care of the parts. (ok hurry up get it fixed) the next thing at like 12000 miles the trans started shifting odd like from 2 to 4 or downshift to first while u were movin way to fast for it to b in first gear!!! took it back said some speed sensor was bad, again thought I was abusing it so had to pay labor (see the trend here) I can go on but the ford dealer put more miles on it test driving it than I did!!! unless you need the towing capitacy of a diesel I would go with gas, I bought a 2005 chevy & am loving it so far
In 2011 I bought a F350 crew long single,,,, in 2012 I bought a pair of F250 cab and a 1/2s... total repairs to the 3 trucks to date, a urea tank (the nipple broke off at -40f), broken auto hub, a new seat( was coming unsewn). All covered by warranty with no problems. One engine detuned due to low fuel pressure issue,,,,, turned out the primary fuel filter was not being tightened till it came against the stop. A little bit of a learning curve on that. Total miles at this time on the 3 trucks is 214K miles.
That sucks. Sounds like the dealer sucks too. My 350 has a Ford Factory gooseneck hitch in the back, wonder what the dealer would say about that?:cool2 Glad they bought it back and made it right. Was the dealer trying to pull a fast one? Charge you labor and collect labor from Ford too for warranty work? I had a new '03 F250 that the trans. grenade'd at 3K miles, traveling up the HWY. Dealer had new trans. installed and truck back in 3 days, warranted.
I had a very similar experience with a 2005 F-250 6.0. They charged me for the fact that the intake was plugging up due to soot underneath! The truck was under warranty at the time and was 300 miles from home. I said the same thing "do whatever it takes". Next week the injection pump went out and i took it to my local dealer for repair. They said they would do the labor but i had to buy the pump....... It was out of warranty by 2-3 days!!! And i say it was probably on its way out when it got repaired the week before, but you know how that went.... I wrote a letter to Ford and told them my situation and they never even replied! That was the straw that broke my back with Ford...... I think they build a good "truck chassis" but it would take some major convincing to show me they build a good engine! I have still been buying used fords though, they are way cheaper than a dodge or chevy and i feel that with the 6.0 and 6.4 there are aftermarket ways of making them reliable. Sorry to get a little off topic but i dont have any experience with the new engines yet...... still out of my price zone!
I did a stint for 2 years delivering new travel trailers from the factories in Indiana to all over Canada. The one thing I did notice was Dodge seems to dominate that industry. There were also a lot of Ford's, but mine and the other guys brokered to the company I hauled for, were blowing up constantly. This covers 6.0, 6.4, 6.7. Everything from turbo's to dropped valves, STC fittings, head gaskets. I'm not saying Dodges don't break (they were horrible for front end suspension and steering failures) but at least the front ends were cheaper to rebuild than engines. The company I brokered for owned their own fleet and about 5 different chains of RV and auto dealers across Canada (Ford dealers mainly)and they said they would buy nothing but Dodge. What does that tell you? but I had my blind love for Ford still, so I paid the price. Over and over. I will say mine were pretty reliable until they hit 159,000 km's (warranty runs out at 160,000.) There were only a few guys I encountered with GM products in that industry so I can't say how they were. But those guys never really complained about anything except for injectors and egr valves in the early Duramax's.
I feel anymore that all manufacturers have their own problems. I have had nothing but fords,granted all 1/2 tons. And all used, so I knew what problems the trucks could commonly develop before i bought them. When anything is mass produced, you get good ones and bad ones. I have seen 6.0s go thousands of miles with no problems. We had one at work and it was an 07 6.0, supposed to have been the most reliable, that had two long blocks in it by 20,000 miles. Finally traded it in couple weeks ago with 60,000 miles, the whole wiring and computer system went crazy. The ford dealer actually came to the shop to look at it because it wouldnt move, barely run. They hooked it up to their computer and it was throwing around 125 different codes. It got loaded and dropped off for a new 6.7 the next day. We have 2011, 2012, and now 2013, all have been trouble free. Just think about this next time you look at a chevy, round wheels, round tires, and square wheel wells. They have been doing it since 1973, and it bugs the crap out of me. Thats why I wont buy one, I know its pitiful, but I hate it.
Another win for GM HD's http://www.trucknews.com/news/road-...N&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TN-EN05022014
If you want a nice engine and trans they are hard to beat. The body and chassis.... no thanks
I looked hard at Chevy/GM when I was looking for a truck last year. The main thing I didn't like about the trucks was the plastic DEF that is located on the outside frame rail on the passenger side and hangs just a little below the frame rail. I saw myself high centering something and crushing the tank.
Yes, and I also don't like how you have to go under the hood to fill that DEF tank. I wish they would change that.
I am a Ford Superduty Guy with f350's, with Diesels and 6 speed standards. Won't be any new ones of any kind here any more. I have heard nothing but bad about all of the newer ones of all kinds due to the emissions things. No power, poor mileage, automatic transmission problems, the list goes on and on. The fellow who works on mine is an independent shop who's whole business is Ford, Dodge and Chevy pickups with Diesels. I thought about a new Ford 2011 when the 6.7 came out and backed off because of no standard transmission available. Added a 2005 with a 6.0 liter that I had worked over and it is doing fine as are my trusty 7.3's. Next one I will look for will be a 2010 or older that I can work over like the 6.0 liter. Thank God I won't be at it that much longer that I will have to worry about it much longer.
The 2013 6.7 I have is the strongest diesel I have ever had in a pickup and that includes a chipped, tuned and exhausted 2000 7.3 that would smoke it's tires and pull the house off the foundation. I am sure the GM and Dodge guys say the same about their newer respective engines. Mileage is 17-8 on the HWY, if I keep it 60 it goes up to 20. 15-6 around town and 11-12 pulling 15K lbs. Don't know about auto trans problems but like I posted above, had a brand new 2003 that grenade'd at 3K miles. As far as the list goes on and on - Currently at 20K, only been back to the dealer because the drivers side seat belt wouldn't re-tract all the way. So far it's been the best Ford I have owned out of 4- 7.3's and 4- 6.0's. I still have 1- 7.3. The emissions crap sucks, no doubt about it. My pickup is the only diesel I have with the crap on it. I am young enough to have to deal with it eventually with equipment but old enough to bitch about it and remember the good old days without it. I figured I would try it out on a pickup with an extended warranty to get my feet wet.
This is an observation that, in my opinion, is pertinent to the conversation. It is also like a knife in my heart. I was a loyal GM fan until they went bankrupt and made off with tens of billions of dollars from the government; and are back asking for more despite 'claiming' they had record profits in the 4th quarter of last year! Personally, I had over $50,000 of GM stock drop to zero when they went bankrupt. I, for some strange reason, thought GM would somehow take care of those who placed their hard earned money with GM in their investments. No way! If you think "Too bad dude, I didn't lose anything to them", you are wrong. First, if you have any mutual funds in your 401k, you lost money in GM's bankruptcy. If you pay taxes, you lost enough to cover a huge downpayment on a new truck to GM (who are still paying their execs tens of millions of dollars each year to run their company - very poorly). The only way I'd consider another GM product in the future is if GM dropped off a fully loaded diesel 4X4 crew cab at my house and handed me the title and the keys. Since that's never going to happen, I'm sticking with the old saying "Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me!". Being that GM is currently lobbying our government for more money makes me extremely upset. I've been in and around the auto industry for over 30 years now. GM went down in flames because they depended on blindly loyal customers to buy their over-priced and poor quality products for decades all the while paying the average UAW worker around $150k a year (including benefits) to do a subpar job because the union refused to allow GM to get rid of the bad workers. Sure, some were fantastic workers, but it didn't take long for the majority to get paid for a full year's work while only working an average of 10 months each year and having unbelievable benefits while building a sub-par product. Eventually the public wised up and stopped buying GM products on blind loyalty and GM went belly up and our government lost roughly a hundred billion dollars in money flat out given to them and investors, like me, lost over 200 billion dollars to GM when they went bankrupt. If you're still in trouble after getting a free 300 Billion dollars, you have problems. I predict that GM will go under and their assets will be picked up by other companies. Those who think that can't happen probably thought there was no way GM could go bankrupt either. With GM having no plans to even attempt to repay the government or those of us who trusted them with our money via our investments, bad blood will eventually sink the company their current employees refer to as "General Morons". Personally, I would not want a truck that likely will be orphaned and, at least for a while, will likely be difficult to get replacement parts for and likely have any existing factory warranty voided. Please understand, this is difficult for me since my family has been loyal to GM since the late 30's. It took a while to be awoken by the facts, but I've been awoken. I simply feel sorry for the good workers at GM who will have to re-apply for jobs with whatever company(s) that take over what is left after they go under for good. Again, this is NOT political or vengeful, just the facts. Clearly Dodge, um, I mean 'Ram', has responded to criticism and has created a much better product that is selling extremely well with a very high satisfaction rating. Ford never bankrupted people investing in their company nor took billions from those of us who pay taxes and also got the message that they need to really abide by their slogan that 'Quality is number one". Personally, I wish Nissan and Toyota would enter the 1 ton diesel pickup market to give us more choices and keep competition high. With high competition, the consumers win. Based on these facts, I'd go drive a Ford and a Dodge and simply decide which you prefer and see how the bottom line prices compare and pick one of them. I'm in it for the long haul and I rather strongly prefer the manufacturer of my pickup truck to also be in it for the long haul. Good luck with whatever you buy!
^^^ Sad but true. I was a GM fan for a lot of years but their build quality is so bad now I wouldn't want one.
Allgood, Is GM in a death spiral? Let see here, first it was good bye to Oldsmobile. Then all in one swoop there was Pontiac, Saturn and Hummer. Prior to that the heavy truck division got sold off to Volvo. Electromotive Diesel Locomotives I believe was sold off also. Several parts subsidaries got spun off too. Delco Remy became Delfi I believe, a spun off company. I don't know if GM still owns Frigidair or not. GM has been one of the poorest run companies in this country for generations. The old GM attitude and mentality continues because there is never any new blood at the top. Every CEO has been with GM for thrity years prior to getting the top job and has learned the GM way from the bottom of the management ranks on up. I once had a GM management guy tell me "At General Motors we build what we want and it is up to our marketing, sales and advertising departments to convince people to buy it." What a stinking arrogant attitude. Will GM fall by the boards and the vultures pick over the bones? I don't see it happening in the near future. What inspired the government rescue this last time is the tremendous influence that the UAW has with the sitting adminestration in Washington DC. The clown currently occupying the White House is owned by the unions, UAW and otherwise. The terms of the bail out show that. Not an orderly bankrupcy but a back room deal where a few benefited and a lot lost just like you did. Don't forget the GM Bond Holders, they got hammered just like you did. As I understand it the UAW did not loose it pension benefits like it always happens with other unions when the company goes belly up. Just ask all of the various airline company employees who have seen their employer declare bankrupcy not once but multiple time. I was talking to a stewardess on a shuttle bus one time who was just going out. I asked how long she had been with her airline employer, answer was 36 years. Have to keep working because pension went to zero not once, but twice while she has worked there. I won't say which airline it was, but they were just envolved in a mega merger a few months ago. I have been a Ford truck guy since I learned to drive in 1950 F3 when I was a little guy and will no doubt stay that way. However the days of buying new ones over are over the the reasons listed above in my previous post. I want a six speed stick, I want some power and I want mileage. Can't seem to get any of those anymore from what I am told and what others have experienced.
A word of caution on the subject of GM and the bailout - From the rules - Now this thread is on a slippery slope and I would hate to have to lock it down - but I will if need be. Now let's get back on the topic of the thread which is about a 2104 or 2015 F350.
Hey CM........ Have you driven a Ford Lately? :falldownlaugh
Honest, I am not trying to ruffle any feathers and certainly not trying to get into politics. It's just not possible to include GM pickups with the past, and very likely, potential future issues. Most likely every one reading this contributed to keeping GM in business. I was careful to insert my opinion about the politics of that action. I simply pointed out current facts that could very well important to guys considering the purchase of a new truck. I think there are certain facts that definitely would be important to someone looking to buy a new pickup. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't think I offended anyone with the facts. I simply hate to lose money because of things I cannot control and I don't think others would either. Regardless, I'll drop bringing up current facts about a company if it offends anyone. It's all good. I'll do whatever is asked. I just hate seeing guys lose money.
The comment wasn't directed at you Allgood but rather an at general warning as these threads can go downhill quickly when politics or unions enter the discussion.:cool2 I am disgusted that GM bond holders took it in the shorts. Sorry that you lost on that one. I am very vocal when it comes to politics but not here. There are other avenues to discuss this and we Mods try our damnedest to keep HEF a place one can go to in order to discuss HE and related business - and also get a break from the constant political bombardment that comes from 24 hour news channels, the internet, etc.
Very funny.:cool2 Nope. I drive the wife's Bimmer to work, she hates it when I bring it back muddy..
Ugh, typing on a phone. In my last post I intended to say "I was careful to NOT insert my opinion about the politics of that action". I tried to just stick to established facts, not opinions of which brand would be better, bla, bla, bla.
my wife is always drives a nice clean inspected vehicle. ive never had a nice truck much less a 2013
LOL, my wife has always driven a new (or at least only 2 year old) vehicle with all the whistles and bells to boot. Me, I have a 1975 GMC 6500, 1992 Dodge D350 SRW and a 1999 F550 in my name now. Her oldest vehicle is a 2011 Mazda Miata convertible I bought her for an anniversary present a few years ago. It ALWAYS sits inside clean, covered up with a battery tender on it. It has a whopping 2800 miles on it now. My old 1975 GMC only has 40,*** miles on it, but it's just not as nice as her cars. Oh well, at least I get to pay for them, pay for the insurance, taxes and plates for them. Sometimes I even get to drive one of her cars if it needs gas; then it's straight to the gas station and back with them. Now that I think about it, she has never washed a vehicle nor cleaned the interior of one in her life. Someday I'm going to shock her and drive home a brand new totally loaded Dodge 4X4 dually with the new Cummins in it and just dare her to complain. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
I was recently asked my opinion by a business owner who decided he wanted a new diesel powered pickup and he wanted to take advantage of the depreciation rules - so the decision had to be made quickly. That 2014 Ford purchases at then end of '13 is doing fine. The 2015 will be a second generation of their engine, so I am thinking do you keep the 'honed' version of the previous production, or do you get the first of the revised version? Wonder if either will be a difference onto which will hold resale?? As to the scorpion engine, it seems they really were given the budget and the company backing to make up for the previous engines (from what my research showed). * As to all the big dollar horror stories, it makes me ask if the lease concept should be re-visited. Sometimes in business we have to move away from things as opposed to moving toward. Could it work similarly to where I rent a tractor and it breaks, they either quickly fix it or swap it for another one? If the lease is a good idea, isn't a lease a little bit cheaper when one buys the 'older' new truck? This lease cost could be a point in the decision if you decide this. Ownership cost may be less if you pick the 2014 since the 2015 will likely be a price increase.
I do see alot of these 6.7 on the road. Usually only a couple a week on the side. But the company's that have them are buying more so they can't be too bad? I suppose being informed by the dealer mechanic he may be a bit negative LOL
I talk to just about EVERY person I can who has a new truck. Last week, a landscaper with a 2014 F550, 6.7 diesel. I asked hows it running? He replied good this week, we'll see about next week. I'd say I talk to about 6-8 people with horror stories to the one person who is tickled pink. I have to ask, how is your truck "nickel and dimeing you to death"? I'd spend 25k on a low mileage 7.3 truck any day before I went and spent 40-65k on a new one. If you already have a 7.3 truck, you can get a 500hp 7.3 crate engine complete with computer for 5 grand and an ATS automatic trans for 5 grand that carries a 5 year/500,000 warranty so for 10k you have a new engine and trans. The transfer case and rears seldom go bad. Replace the ENTIRE cooling system and add a coolant filter for about a grand, 1,500 for a complete front end, 1,000 for new brakes, 7,000 for paint, body work and sprucing up the interior. $20-21,000 you have an overhauled 7.3 that is WAY more reliable than anything new, will blow the doors off of a new one and has a good warranty to back the engine and trans.
This pretty much outlines my plan for our 1999 F350 4x4 Crewcab that just turned over 300k. I got lucky last year and found a low mileage '05 Dodge 3500 flatbed. A lot of buyers had passed over it since it lacked cruise control and power windows. Perfect for me as an everyday work truck. My wife had been towing her BP horse trailer with a typically gutless 5.4 F150. She wanted a GN horse trailer, so I gave her the F350. I basically drove the thing into the ground hauling equipment and round bales, so I figured I'd be getting her a newer truck at some point. The only decent low mileage trucks available around here are 6.0 and 6.4's. No thanks! Anything Cummins typically has a ton of miles, so that's out too. Chevy's are very scarce. I not the kind to spend 50k+ on any new pickup truck. It makes more sense to use that money to purchase things that actually make money for my business. She absolutely loves our F350 and it still runs like a scalded dog even though its had a programmer in it since 2004, but it is a bit ragged. I'm about to start the turn-it-back-to-new plan, but I'll run this engine and trans til they blow. First on the list is to seal up a couple of annoying oil leaks, then a complete front end rebuild and switching out the 3.73 gears for 4.10's for better towing. I have some funds set aside for it. For the rest I'm pretending I have a $600 a month payment on the truck and filling the coffee can.
I have had the exact opposite experience with my '13 F350 6.7 and of the few folks I know who have have one, haven't had any problems either.