Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air filter turning black

Welder Dave · 2024-08-03 21:58

What would cause an air filter to turn black? Could it just be from sucking the black exhaust when the engine is first started and cold? The air intake is aways away from the exhaust but across from it and lower.

Replies7
  1. #1MarshallPowerGen2024-08-04 09:43

    Your area deal with much wildfire smoke? That seems to be the primary cause I keep running into lately. Only other is usually exhaust leaks nearby or years of neglect.

  2. #2funwithfuel2024-08-04 10:01

    Is your exhaust tied into your pre cleaner.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2024-08-04 10:10

    Usually exhaust leaks

  4. #4Welder Dave2024-08-04 11:10

    I'm thinking it's from exhaust when first starting. It's falling enough the air intake sucks it up.

  5. #5Kat excavating services2024-08-04 20:53

    check and make sure you have the baffles in the exhaust stack that the precleaner tube sets between

  6. #6thepumpguysc2024-08-04 23:12

    Yup, I to would say Exhaust Smoke.. I worked on an old 580 that the muffler was broken off under the hood and was just a “slip fit”.. That filter was solid black..

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-08-04 23:47

    Don't have a precleaner. The exhaust sticks up on the back right side. The air intake is just above a cover over the engine on the back left side. I think sometimes when it's cold the black soot falls enough it gets sucked in when trying to start it. I don't think it hurts anything but I was a little surprised how much the filter had a black tinge. I think I might have a glow plug not working properly that makes for a little more black smoke when starting.