Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air pollution issues,Diesels and the state.

Reel hip ยท 2011-01-17 19:21

In California we are being hit hard with regulations for our off road equipment and our on road trucks. Even air compressors and concrete pumps are effected. Our diesel pick up trucks have to be smogged every two years.We have to register our equipment with the state to be compliant. Later down the road they will expect us to get rid of the older machines,even if they run good. Does anyone else have these same regulations? Has anyone heard talk of this in other states or are we just the (unlucky) ones!

Replies27
  1. #1sick&tired2011-01-18 17:38

    Get out while you can!! Run!! I was contacted a few years ago by carb about my business equipment. I couldnt afford to smog and register and insure the international ramp truck i had. So i had to sell it. Then I didnt want to comply with the new restictions on equipment so i sold my Case 580K 4x4 hoe. Now i am down to a Tak TL126 skid steer which is still over the HP, but it is not being used for business so they cant mess with me there. I did purchase a Komatsu track loader at an auction but it will be for private use as well, and wont matter because it is being shipped to my No. Idaho property this summer. Im preparing to leave this commie liberal anti gun tax and spend police state. Good luck.

  2. #2Yepblaze2011-01-18 18:41

    I left California last may. Now in Vermont. Before I left I was at a smallish local contractors yard sale (he was selling out) and in a pile he had for sale all the nearly brand shiny new catalytic converters and associated emissions components he had just recently removed from his fleet of shiny new trucks. I suppose he was really feeling proud when he told all his buddies how bitchin it was without them. I'd like to have seen the estimate to bring them back into compliance when they initiated the testing program. I was going to grab the cats they were giant size and like new. He wanted like $25 ea.

  3. #3Reel hip2011-01-19 09:33

    I have been up on the modifications of the controls. The Vdecs (verified diesel emission control systems) are pricey. Depending on the motor they can be well over $10,000. Those parts could have been resold at a nice profit. The state is requiring you to use the bact (best applied control technology) What that means however is if you bought a vdec and installed it now they may require you to buy a newer one a few years from now. Most fleets are waiting until it is required. Depending on fleet size it can be up to 6 years from now.

  4. #4Yepblaze2011-01-19 09:47

    It is illegal in California to sell used catalytic converters. Except for scrap. They are not to be purchased for use used! So the poor stiff that bought his hotrod POS trucks would if not supplied with the parts removed at the time of sale need to source new. He had a pile of all the ancillary parts. I'd seen all this before with gas rigs as long ago as the very late 60's. They'd pull off the smog pump and toss all the plumbing. For a while there were no aftermarket replacements available (or certified for sale) I also held a Calif smog inspector, and unlimited mechanic's ticket. Expired just a few years back. Here in Vermont it's like the wild wild east with very little governmental oversight for much of anything. They say they are $150-180M short for the state budget. I wouldn't hesitate to guess that's about the annual budget for late night session pizzas in Sacramento.

  5. #5tootalltimmy2011-01-19 11:31

    This is where we are in B.C. right now. I am interested because of my 1989 Ford dump truck. There are not enough filters available that are approved by CARB. This has been a total screwup. There are other manufacturers but they would not be "approved". The politicians and bureaucrats have to do something to look good to the enviromentalists. Other than make a lot of people mad and cost much money, I don't believe this will accomplish anything.

  6. #6Reel hip2011-01-20 10:44

    I know what you mean. The technology and production hasn't caught up with what the states are requiring. I have attended meetings here and the ladies sitting behind the table couldn't understand why we wouldn't want to replace a piece of equipment every couple of years. She had no idea what they cost. These are the same people telling us how to run our business. There has been some update and new rules coming, easing up on some of these restrictions. With our economy the way it is alot of equipment owners were just going to give up. Keep up on as much info as you can. maybe they will ease up in B.C. Good luck

  7. #7Sharky2011-01-29 05:52

    California is the worst, however it is becoming the same everywhere. I know one thing, we were running the 2009 Isx cummings 600 engines in our trucks on the north slope in sub zero temps, where they had to run 24/7 and they were nothing but problems. The diesel particulate regeneration filter would clog on a daily basis and require a half hour "Cleanout" before you could get moving again.. Or it would go into fail safe mode. These were BRAND NEW trucks too. On their first and second oil changes. BSL and some other outfits are still able to get by with glider kits, New trucks w/o engines and powering them with older remanned engines. Still legal for now, but I doubt much longer..

  8. #82stickbill2011-01-29 09:35

    When people and Companys stop buying every time the EPA said update maybe it will stop.Start bidding jobs higher to pay for updates but somebody will bid lower.The EPA is ruining the econmy just like the big O himself.I guess when there is no Companys lft but wait then Forien Companys will come over get our tax money to work here.

  9. #9Reel hip2011-01-30 02:16

    Sharky, We have been running into the same problems here. The techs say that they haven't worked out all the bugs yet. The state pushed to make it happen ,but the parts didn't get field tested much. Now we are paying the price of down time.

  10. #10Reel hip2011-01-30 02:19

    A lot of companies were staring at penalties if we didn't comply. No need to bid any lower here, there's no work!

  11. #112stickbill2011-01-30 16:29

    I have all ways wondered what would happen to the EPA if all the Petroleum Plants shut down.Do you think it would help or hurt ?It might let people see just how much they depend on Petroleum Products in every day life.

  12. #12Dozerboy2011-01-30 18:41

    Never going to happen with the way the media and politicians rag on big oil.

  13. #132stickbill2011-01-30 19:41

    Your right about that.It's bad when the EPA starts putting people out of jobs though.But they don't care they are making Billions.

  14. #14Greg2011-01-30 21:22

    Nothing will happen until everyone wakes up and realizes that they are freezing and starving IN THE DARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh ya, solar and wind ain't gonna be our salavation either.

  15. #152stickbill2011-01-31 09:50

    Some State not as bad as California.YET but the way things are going might be soon.But here we have certain Construction company's in big city's doing all the state work.Funny thing in Houston the company doing state jobs has old equipment that has no pollution controls at all. The city's that have the no idle law have exemptions on certain vehicles.U don't agree with this because there is no need for some of them to idle.

  16. #16Yepblaze2011-01-31 10:05

    I had the old Sa200 in the shop running some big rod reconstructing an attachment apparatus. It ran a little rich as always. I looked over on the shelf and saw a 4" cat(alytic converter) leftover from a indoors job. I jammed it over the small weather cap on the welder and tacked it down with a few spotwelds from the mig machine. When I restarted it that cat lit off with all the fresh oxygen sucked in at it's loose fitting attachment and made a roar that was music to my plugged ears for the rest of the job. Sorta like a 4cylinder rocket/jet engine

  17. #17Reel hip2011-01-31 10:36

    Our no idle policy is workable. No more than 5 minutes, except while being in use. They don't want trucks idling while waiting to get loaded if 3 trucks are in front of them. Parked trucks can idle if the truck has a sleeper and it's being used for heat. Equipment can idle if they need to warm up, they just don't want them running all day if they are just sitting.I have to remember to shut my truck down when I fuel up.

  18. #182stickbill2011-01-31 13:28

    The larger and some small cities in Texas has the no idling law too.

  19. #19Reel hip2011-01-31 23:57

    That's the only regulation there? You don't have to register your equipment with the state?

  20. #202stickbill2011-02-01 09:28

    As far as I know you don't.But there were some that got on the TARP band wagon to replace wore out junk.

  21. #21Reel hip2011-02-01 10:17

    Thats good. In Californa the "powers to be" required all this bs but they did a really bad job of getting the information out. The big companies could afford to keep up on all the changes. A lot of the small companies and owner operators had no idea this was even going on. The guys that don't own a computer haven't heard of it until they get fined.

  22. #222stickbill2011-02-01 20:19

    And this EPA regulation hurts the little companys the most.Sometimes it makes you think thats what they want.Big companys give bigger bribes oops I mean bonuses.

  23. #23Dozerboy2011-02-05 10:19

    Except all the water trucks we had a auto shut down after 5 mins. Big PITA if your working a small area with a hose out of a truck to go restart the truck every 5 mins. I did a road job in Encinitas and this old hag across the street from our lay down area would come out of her house and shut down our trucks if they where running and no one was close by. One of the companies I worked for was doing pretty good on CARBs BS. They ran mostly old Detroit power Iron and with the grants they where getting to repower with modern engines them they came out pretty good. Now our Cats was another story.

  24. #24Reel hip2011-02-07 17:21

    I hear you! I'm just around the corner from Encinitas. The way I read the regulation is if the machine is in use it doesn't need to be shut down. I think that might have been the same job where a couple of end dumps where fined for idling while waiting to get loaded. I'm old school I was taught it is better to keep a diesel idiling than to start and stop it all day. I have a thought about the old hag but don't want to say.... She will probley get smashed on a tree that she is hugging anyway

  25. #252stickbill2011-02-07 20:26

    What gets me is all these no idling laws only cover a certain group.Any Government group can idle all day.Take your City,County and State they have gas and diesel.Most will sit and idle till quitting time

  26. #26Reel hip2011-02-08 15:26

    Copy that! our sheriffs car never get shut off. I can see that, I was told by an officer that their dispatch computer is left running. But the other services I don't see why.. I also can't get an answer from the school district, all their diesel buses run on red dye.

  27. #272stickbill2011-02-08 20:43

    Schools might be exempt on fuel tax.So they can run red fuel.