Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air Ride Conversion on an Aluminum Frame

72hayes ยท 2022-01-21 10:57

We are going to change from a Rubber Block to a Neway Air-Ride on an Aluminum Frame. Are there any tricks or tips that we should do? we are planning on using the cross members from the Neway.

Replies9
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-01-21 17:31

    No tricks, actually pretty straight forward. The control arms should hang right on the existing hangers on the drive housings.

  2. #21693TA2022-01-22 09:58

    I concur with Truck Shop on this one and have done many myself. Actually have an ARD-244 to go under a Mack RL797LST in the near future. What I would suggest is ensure your bored holes through the frame are straight meaning from a mag drill of something like that. I typically clamp a piece of 3/4" plate to the frame to attach my mag drill to. I actually went one step further and bored a plate to the correct hole and dimension layout for this suspension so it becomes a pattern requiring only clamping four times for a tandem assembly. I simply align with the bottom of the frame rail, clamp it where needed on the frame, and drill. I then use grade 8, 5/8" fine threaded fasteners and washers to assemble on this suspension. Seldom did I ever reuse old fasteners unless specialty types.

  3. #3Old Doug2022-01-22 10:12

    If a guy wanted to convert a single axle truck that wasnt offered with air ride what would be a good setup to use?

  4. #41693TA2022-01-22 10:30

    Neway, Hendrickson, and Peterbilt systems were individual meaning you could use the rear rear from a tandem truck for use as a single axle. I typically purchased the suspension with the desired rear rear axle and as mentioned earlier it's not difficult. You would need some driveline work also, and precise in measurements/boring. A truck using hydraulic brakes would be a bit different and I've never done that myself. Some of the air ride suspensions bolt or clamp to the drive axles, some are welded so would need approached appropriately.

  5. #5Old Doug2022-01-22 11:02

    Its has air brakes but is gas so i would need to find a axle my 3rd member would work in or use my rear end.

  6. #61693TA2022-01-22 11:04

    Mounts are fairly easy to come by. I've modified several after cutting them free from donors. Air brakes opens your options quite a bit.

  7. #7Truck Shop2022-01-22 17:19

    For a universal air ride The Reyco AR102 is a good one. All four hangers are the same as what's used on the front of spring ride 102, It's also low ride air ride. Pete and others basically copied it to some degree.

  8. #81693TA2022-01-22 18:56
  9. #9Truck Shop2022-01-22 19:03

    Correcto, even uses the same torque arms.