I have an old 1970 352. Looking into putting air bags in front and removing 2 of the 4 spring leafs. The rear is updated to airleaf. Looking for a better ride up front. Anyone have any experience with these kits?
I've just seen them on the newer trucks. Can't really see why you couldn't adapt one to that model. Just curious, does it have a Detroit in it?
Nope, it has a 3406.
I built a air ride setup this summer and was a should have done it ten years ago thing. Its under the slammed 379 post.
Does that mean it was money will spent? Lol.
There used to be a front air bag kit for those some years ago. But not many 352s running anymore so the kit might be deleted. Although KW, Pete and Frtlnr all use air bag front axles these days and there's not that much to them. The only thing that's necessary is using two leveling valves.
I already have a adjustable pressure valve an gauge on the dash, I believe the previous owner had a lift axle on the truck at one time. Do the kits separate the left and right air bags? I wonder if I could simply install a pair of bags and T them together. Maybe install a very small restrictive orifice in the cross line to keep the truck from rolling in corners?
The air supply to the left and right air bags has to run through there own separate ride height control valve. Plus you need to install a pressure protection valve at the supply air tank. Barksdale is the brand of height control valve to use. If you just tee the bags together- when going through a corner one bag will depress and the other expand. Causing it to stay jacked on the expanded side the bags and will not equalize fast enough.
Hey, I like your idea. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I can tell you what I did and what I learned along the way. You can set the front end up anyway you want by using separate switches, valves, leveling valves, etc... I think the only problem you're going to have is, well it's not even really a problem, but you're probably going to have to fabricate some brackets or other pieces to make it work on your truck. The kit I purchased was from 12 gauge customs and it was for my model truck. It went on pretty easy and it works well. There are other kits available. As far as I know 12 Gauge, Dickerson Custom trucks and possibly Pickett Custom Trucks all sell air ride kits. With that being said, I know of several people who built their own and they work great. I'm more than happy to help with this cause I had a really hard time finding good information about it when I was looking for it. I put the website links below for 12 Gauge, Dickerson and Pickett trucks. Dickerson's website is not up yet, but they have a Facebook page. Hope this helps... http://www.12gacustoms.com/parts/air-ride-gen-ii/ https://www.facebook.com/dickersoncustomtrucks http://www.pickettcustomtrucks.com/
can you get me the part number of the air bags that were used in your kit
I looked on my bags and I don't see the part number anywhere. It's probably on top where I can't see cause the frame rail is in the way. A buddy of mine made his own kit and he used the same bags as well so I asked him if he could dig up the part number, but he's not having any luck. I would just call 12 gauge and ask them.
Look in to Canadian load share
Yeah, I just feel bad asking then not buying from them. The numbers should be molded into the rubber on the side of the bag.
I didn't have any luck finding numbers, but I did some internet surfing and I think I found the bag. I would bet five bucks this is the bag 12 gauge is using All the specs look right to me and just from looking at it, it looks the same. Here is a link to the website I found it on: http://www.truckspring.com/products/Firestone-Reversible-Sleeve-Air-Spring__W01-358-9547.aspx
I used a old style kw ag 100 bag. Mr horse uses em with a 379 shock to keep everything over the counter simple.
Awesome, thank you! Greatly appreciate your effort!
First thing you need to figure out the distance from the bottom of the frame to top of axle. That is your ride height. Now figure out how you are going to build your top bracket over the u bolts and where that height comes out at. Time to go bag shopping.