Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dayton hubs vs Budd hubs – use same length axleshafts?

JBI ยท 2015-12-12 22:59

Working on an older Eaton 18.5K rear end, replacing the single-speed pumpkin with a 2-speed lower-geared pumpkin for use in a forklift. It's a long story that I'll tell if you want to hear it, but the gist of it is that the original double-reduction 9.97 axle was torn out of it a long time ago and I'm converting the replacement axle back into what it should be. Basically I'm changing a 17101 axle with 5.29 ratio into a 17201 with 7.17 high / 9.97 low ratio and then locking it into low. The forklift has Budd wheels but all of the donor rears I'm finding have Dayton / spoke wheels. I know I need the 2-speed axleshafts...my question is am I going to run into a length problem putting shafts from Dayton hubs into a differential using Budd hubs? Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies4
  1. #1Old Doug2015-12-13 10:51

    I dont have a yes or no answer but the best way to find out is to tear them apart and see. Why dont you stay with the better Daytons? If i had a forklift with budds and i could i would switch to Daytons.

  2. #2JBI2015-12-13 12:46

    Doug, thanks for your reply. I was told that the axleshafts from a 2-speed rear are going to be different lengths and spline counts than the ones in my single-speed pumpkin. I use this machine daily so once I pull it down I need to already know I have the right parts so I can get it right back up and running. I just figured that since there were so many mechanics here, someone had done a Dayton-to-Budd wheel swap on a drive axle before and would know the answer to the axleshaft length question. As far as the wheels go, I prefer Budds, and the recaps on the Budds are basically new. However, if you were closer by, I'd have been happy to give you the used take-off Dayton hubs if you wanted them. I believe you're the only person I've ever heard say they preferred the Dayton wheel setup.

  3. #3Shimmy12015-12-13 14:23

    Second that. Grew up screwing with Dayton wheels on trucks. While they could be considered slightly(!!) better than stud-pilot Budds, no way can I say they are better than hub-pilot.

  4. #4Old Doug2015-12-13 18:39

    The one of the reasons i like daytons and i would want them on a forklift is with hand tools you can easyly change a tire and in rough use you want have cracked rims. I think why most guys dont like Daytons is there not shiny. I have looked at alot of axles in the past and i dont think there are many single speeds that use the same houseing as the 2 speeds do.If the hubs and pumpkin will interchange i would think the axles would work because most trucks and rear axles are the same with. I have 4 older fords that all have 2speeds every one has a diffrent center section or pumpkin but there axles are all the same and their hubs and brakes are the same.