Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Air Vaccuum?….

inthedirt ยท 2011-05-03 20:37

So ATCO had the genius to introduce us to the suck bucket, and I'm not taking away from that, but has anyone ever tried these air powered vaccuums? Just so I'm being clear these are roughly pistol shaped and have a shop air coupler in the handle and use a venturi to suck throught the "barrel" and spit it out the back, normally through a hose into a bag. A shop vac works good, but what twigged me to this is a refernce by Cummins in one of their "official" procedures to a "chip removal tool." When I looked up the tool it is one of these, but with a necked down adapter and a skinny pipe. The idea is that you use this down an injector hole to remove "chips" from a cylinder. Haven't tried this yet. I guess what appealed to me is if there is any oil, it would have no effect on the vac. I was wondering if you guys had any advise.... just use a suck bucket, a regular shop vac, or.... don't create "chips" in a cylinder in the first place?:cool2

Replies9
  1. #1willie592011-05-03 20:44

    LoL, yeah, I'm kinda partial to "don't create the chips in the first place" I haven't seen one of those gizmos that you describe, got a pic of one perchance?

  2. #2Water Doc2011-05-03 20:59

    I think this is what your referring to.. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...&group_ID=1844&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog I have used one and they work alright, but there's not that much suction. For $80 i would just go and buy a cheap shop vac or make a suck bucket.

  3. #3willie592011-05-03 21:10

    OMG, and it's made in China! Good grief. Yeah, 80 bucks, that made my wallet turn a flip in my back pocket. LoL :tong

  4. #4smittysrepair2011-05-03 21:41

    Here are some photos for you atco. I have used some like these before and they where okay in my opinion. You can buy one like I have photos of on line for around $40.00 but I still don't think they are worth it. I am glad to see I am not the only one to use a bucket on a shop vac for liquids. I just never thought of a snazzy name like you did atco. I do have an option for the suck bucket that I use and it works pretty good. I sometimes use an air powered ac vacuum pump attached to a bucket instead of the shop vac when I don't have one handy. It will get the job done just not as fast as a shop vac.

  5. #5Dad52011-05-14 19:58

    Cat has one like that in the C9 injector sleeve kit.

  6. #6Greg2011-05-17 00:14

    Since the one in WaterDoc's link comes from china I will stick with ATCO's suck bucket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  7. #7jimrr2011-05-18 09:03

    or you can make one with random pipe/tubing fittings and some gas or air line. its' just a venturi and in theory works better than a vacume machine, just takes more energy. some pumps on the ships i worked on used them, like in the chain locker and such as they woulnd't plug up, if you have a 2'' suction pipe, the discharge is the same size (equiv) and nothing in there to plug it !

  8. #8heavylift2011-05-18 09:35

    I have a little vacuum thing, it's a 1/2" tee with a piece of copper tubing/rubber vacuum hose. worked pretty good. but it's in the land of misplaced tools at the moment. One company that worked at refineries had made ones that fit in the 2" bung of a 55 gallon drum, 1" plant air, and then NOISE . the used it to suck the dried up junk and scale from towers. Bad thing is when they got close to being full , it blew the debris into the air,

  9. #9nickbowers2011-05-20 06:24

    whats wrong with a dyson?