Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Al Legault, Gyppo Logger

Vigilant ยท 2011-01-17 04:44

Al Legault was a top notch Gyppo logger who lived up around Sequim, WA in the Sixties and Seventies. My dad knew him professionally. Mr. Legault thought a lot of my dad, and offered him his friendship. Unfortunately, Dad was pretty much a loner outside of work, as am I. Dad's family was all that mattered to him, and we mattered a lot. Nothing wrong with that. I met Mr. Legault several times, and thought a lot of him. So did my folks. He was a rugged man, but also a true gentleman, good as gold. Picture the character Boris Batternoff from the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon series in logger's attire and with an honorable heart, and you are pretty much there. Of all the folks we knew out West, he and his family are the ones I wish the most that we had kept up with. Does anyone here have any info on Mr. Legault, or perhaps some photos? Thanks in advance.

Replies2
  1. #1gypodog2013-08-07 10:22

    hi this is gypodog did you know some fallers named timmons elmer & imer i was at stewerts meat shop about a week ago for some elk jerkey i usesd go deer hunting up in vail a long timeago i here now you have to pay to get in there now

  2. #2Vigilant2013-08-07 22:03

    I did not know either of those gents. I recall one logger out towards the coast named Williamson. Just below Aloha, I believe, and further inland. He was crippled in a logging accident, got a settlement for it, and he financed a logging outfit which his wife ran for him. They ran a good outfit from what my late father said. She took him moose hunting up north every year. I talked with Miss Dorothy at Stewart's when I was at Stewart's in 2002. She was a fine woman, God bless her. She remembered my father well. Vail has changed so much since the old days. When I came back in '02, I was shocked to see that the bastards had leveled all but one side of the big old shop building. But I did get a chance to walk through it one last time when I took my Dad out there in '95. I had forgotten all about the sound of the swallows chirping all day long. It really brought back memories. You would probably enjoy the thread here about Roy Filla and other contractors. Lots of history in that thread. If you look back far enough, you will find a thread on Weyerhaeuser operations out your way, and another about the aftermath of St. Helens, which my father said was the beginning of the end for Weyco. Bringing all the stinking MBAs on board with Weyco did not help either.