Hi guys am new to this forum,and I really need some help.Am hoping to move up to fort mcmurray in april or may to hopefully get a job in the oilsands either as a long haul 797 operator or a heavy equipment operator,This is not a short time move am hoping to stay their for maybe 10-15years,I have no ties to where I currently live,no family,girlfriend etc and the town I live in hasn’t much going for it as in work or job oppurunties.I think fort mcmurray has lots going for it,and this where i want to start a career.My dream would to get a job as a long haul operator or in heavy equipment operator and work my way up and live in camp maybe with cnrl or syncrude.Is their anybody that could give me some information how I could possibly do this,I have no liesence or certs at the moment,so what do i need to get to improve my chances,I have looked into joining kenayo college but I cant afford it,Is there any other company that provides heavy equipment or long haul 797 training courses,Also is their any other courses like first aid that could improve my resume that would help me get a better job,when i move to fort mcmurray am just going to start pounding the pavements look for work,where is the best places to go to,and which oil sand companies are the best to work for.I would appreciate any information that would help me,thanks guys.
You will need WHMIS and H2S certification at least. Level 1 First Aid never hurts. If I were you I would try other locations as well. There are mines all over BC and Alberta and none of them can get enough operators. `Drive a 777 or 785 for a while. Lots of oil and gas work in northeastern BC as well. Fort Mcmurray isn`t he only place for work and sometimes its easier to get started in a smaller centre.
Thompson Bros. might be a place to start just google them they have a camp up there. The best ticket to get before going there is the CSTS ticket which you can get online I think it's about $65.00 Can. I was about to start working there but there is an illness in the family that won't get better so I came home. Good luck on your venture there, and remember be extra cautious on Highway #63 they don't call it the highway of tears for nothing.
thanks very much for the infomation mate,any advice where to get training on heavy equipment
thanks for the reply dude,any infomation where to get training on heavy equipment
There are a number of HEO schools in BC and AB. Google is your friend. You are probably going to start with a shovel in your hands or carrying heavy unpleasant things in unpleasant conditions though. Don't expect to waltz into the seat of a 797 with no experience. You will probably start driving old wore out little trucks that no one else wants to drive and work your way up. I recently started work at a local mine with years of experience under my belt running hoe, cat and grader and guess what, I'm driving a 777 with 100,000 hours on it.
Jackjones, First off, you do not require WHIMIS or H2S training as BDFT suggests. If you want to work directly for one of the oil companies, you will need CSTS and a high school diploma, or your GED. Your best bet is to try and get on with a contractor first. Thompson Brothers is one of them, North American Construction, KMC Mining, Graham Construction, Aecon, Neegan, Fort McKay, and Kiewit are some others. Clear Stream Energy is a labour contractor and hires green people too. I would suggest searching out their websites, and applying online before you come up here. You can't apply at the oil companies in person, only online, and it's pretty expensive to just come up here and try and find work. Arrange something before hand, then look to upgrade once you're here. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I may not be able to reply right away, but I will get back to you as soon as I can.
No sir I don't know where to get heavy equipment operator training like what your thinking about. I do know that those courses are expensive and that the tickets they give you when you complete the courses don't really mean a thing as there is no proper apprenticeship program in any of the western provinces like there is for electricians, plumbers, mechanics. etc. But there is enough of a demand for equipment operators of all types in Alberta that you'll shouldn't have much problem getting onto some of the more mundane equipment like articulated dump trucks, compaction equipment etc.