so here is a new thread, if you guys like it i will continue to post pics of some of the work i do...explanation of pictures. The pegson track jaw was getting new swing jaw bearings and shaft. The other two are of a customer track skidder trans, one of the diff case and the other of the powershift partly disassembled. I didn't get to rebuild this one i disassembled it and gave them a quote it was to high so someone else did it cheaper. Later i got paid again to diagnose that reverse and second gear was leaking by (massive trans heat) i got paid to remove and disassemble again found piston housings for reverse and second had not been replaced as i had found the grooves in them where the seals ride, also two broken shaft seals that the last guy had broken on reassembly he warrantied nothing and the customer found a running take out trans for a third of the money i was going to charge for rebuild. It actually has worked well for them.. Theironoracle
Thanks for the work pictures I enjoy seeing them a lot.
Good pictures .you will probadly get used trans to repair in the near future::drinkup
machine was not worth repairing the first time. it is definately time for this customer to part this thing out, problem is he only puts about 400 hrs on it a year...
i have a few more pictures in forestry equipment section, under "will there ever be a 527 track skidder again?"
nice pics where are you located?
here is a project with lots of photos: Customer says machine does not vibrate. I pulled the hydraulic vibrator motor and shaft was broke because eccentric bearings were completely out in one side due to no oil..i removed drum and when i did the bearing for drum support fell off its shaft they were bad enough they broke the snap ring. I wish i had gotten a picture of installing the eccentric hub i forgot to bring rods to slide it in on so i tipped the drum on its end and lowered the hub down flat being sure i got both eccentrics on the same side of the drum.. Theironoracle
forgot one picture
nothing exciting here just a pump change on a 4300 link belt log loader this logging side had some of the best timber i have ever seen.... The one of the dog is just for fun, stupid thing did this three times!!! The third time she did not go to the vet my dad and i duck taped her feet together rolled here in an old bed comforter and pulled them out with the pliers, she has not done it again....huh........theironoracle
Looks like their lack of PM = your job security.
Lots of companies think its all about gross profit, the result is go, go, go, fix when broken completely!!! I am thankful i have work and enjoy repairing iron...anyone know how to get pics off of my i-phone into hef?
I just posted in another thread about it. Get a photobucket account, and download the app that sends your pics straight to it. Then you can copy the link and post it here, already sized right.
What thread? Thanks, theironoracle
I just gotta say that pic of the dog with porcupine quills is awesome, no disrespect to the dog as I am a dog person, just an awesome pic.
This one: Also, here is a great thread on posting pictures.
http://s1167.photobucket.com/albums/q621/theironoracle/Snapbucket/ thanks jdofmemi, this is my first try from the i-phone, this was earlier this winter motor ran pumps didn't turn we suspected the flex coupler, after disassembly i found the funk drive box was out of oil and had dropped a bearing and ruined all of it, removed motor and funk drive box never once opened up the hydraulic system....beautiful day (or two) in the snow theironoracle
not sure about that, i think i would rather bring them into HEF server than link them, how does everyone else want to see them? theironoracle
sorry trainwreck missed this post, in the gorge theironoracle
http://s1167.photobucket.com/albums/q621/theironoracle/ this is one of the reason i love my job, almost everyday i am in a new beautiful place with stuff to see like this, i can almost smell the steaks on the barbeque...............theironoracle
First off, personally I think these are the best and most interesting threads on the forum so please keep posting ! I love to see the real world, front line repairs done to all types of equipment. Thanks I know it takes time to post and do write-ups but its great to learn from. Since you asked, yes it's a little nicer to be able to see the pictures on the thread instead of clicking to a link but in the end I'll gladly look at either !
You are close. When you get on photobucket, there are 4 different tags on each piture you can use. I think the right one is the direct link. copy it to the manage attachments, and then hit "preview post" If you have the right link, the picture will show, if not, it will show the link like the one you did above. Thanks for posting pictures for us. Life is a learning adventure, and I like to learn all I can, and share what I know as well.
easy day in the shop (to bad it was great weather outside), i installed a reman injectrion pump and turbo on the this 3306 truck engine, bled easy, started easy. I found the turbo had been leaking oil into the air to air cooler when i took things apart to get the injection pump off. The reman guy said the rack had been backed out all the way creating full rack travel by all rights it should have melted down, returned rack to stock, we will see what the customer says....the pictures are reman pump, bare side of block, and completed engine....... Theironoracle
Nice Looks like you got it figured out now.
i showed up because the master pin had busted and to install the two rear rock guards.. What i found was all rock guards missing (very rocky and steep unit) and this crack where the roller attaches. What you can't see is all of the rest of the cracking inside where all of the rollers attach. Besides some other virtical cracking in other areas. Removed and took to the shop to be repaired...the other two rock guards are 6 weeks out we may have to builds some. I will post pictures when project is completed.................theironoracle
Probably should have squared up that blocking!!!!!!didn't notice that till just now. It doesn't look like that from the side just the front. It will probably be sitting on its pans come monday, i'll take a picture if it is....theironoracle
missed a picture........theironoracle
S.Cal any parts left laying on or around the machines disappear…scrape iron thieves!
lets see what this looks like..i haven't been doing any entertaining work lately and in fact been on vacation this week so i went to the archives to find a little show and tell..customer complained of rear locker not working in this skidder and rear diff was overfilling with oil.. i removed axle, removed diff and found that the last guy had missed the hole in the lock ring with the lock bolt, seals were out in the differential locker but the gears and bearings were all good..............theironoracle
I showed up to replace the brake seals and frictions. I tried to remove the frictions but they wouldn't come off the shaft because the final had burnt up due to no oil. I think they got some barbed wire (i removed some from the skidders axle) in the seal and with all the rain they never saw the oil on the track to much mud.................theironoracle
Very good pic/s please keep posting. Thanks
ironoracle where are you based out of?
Excellent images. Thanks for the perform images I appreciate seeing them a lot.
pretty simple project, the bolt that attached the piston to the rod broke and the rod pulled out of the cylinder. I realligned it, got it to the roadside, where i r&red it...........................theironoracle
removed and reinstalled a new head. This is about a 1000 hr factory reman engine in this machine. The injector had come loose right from the start and the company just kept running the machine until the hole that the injector was in was to burnt out to hold a new injector. This is large motor in a small package. Everthing was mounted above it. Air cleaner, muffler, a/c condensor layers of guarding, still (parts of) great couple of days...............................theironoracle
look it lived to fight another day, and it was still on its crooked block when i showed up....................theironoracle
Been to busy to post very often, sometimes you have to work on your stuff YUK!! just an injector and high pressure oil rail gasket ..................theironoracle
came to work monday morning and saw this, just wanted to share them, this is for loading over the back in think?............................theironoracle
just disassembled to be line bored, rear trans seal, among other things, i must have dug at least a 30 gallon garbage can of grease, needles, and branches out of the back end of this thing...........theironoracle.....................have you ever seen a skidderhoe?
Nice thread, keep the pictures coming of what your working on, is the truck cab in the photo your service truck?
Yes Randy88 that is my service truck, the home away from home, i wish i had the time to take care of her better, its been turn the key on in the morning, turn it off at night, work on the weekends or run off somewhere with the family, gotta make hay while the sun shines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................theironoracle
Someone else had taken this apart, then put it back together, then the tranny had a bolt come loose in it and went through everything, they pulled it back apart again, the tranny shop warrantied the parts, then that mechanic was sick of working on it, so after about a year this customer found me to reassemble machine, all works good now, this is the only D 9 i have ever worked on, thats alot of trips up those tracks into the hole and back out.......theironoracle
Glad you got it back together, looks like a nice machine. I bet you coulda used a helper by the end of the job, nothing's light on those tractors. I'm sure that trans shop mechanic was sick about it coming apart, I would be. I noticed it could use a new larger exhaust pipe that will let it breathe right though. Somebody took one off a 318 Detroit and planted it on there it looks like.
d9gdon, i did have a helper, he was from the owners company, he was amazing but a little quirky, he had everything clean all of the bolts organized by size in zip locks, ordered all of the parts and what not. he just lacked the tools and the confidence to do this job himself.
Just out of curiosity, if its the only one you've ever worked on, how did you know what bolts went where and how for sure it went back together again, especailly on a machine that old where someone must have done some modificaitons to it over the years? I've found the need to take pictures as I disassemble things, to know or remember how to put them back together again, I'd be lost to come to a piece that was in parts and didn't have any idea how it was came apart in the first place, to ever get it back together again right in the end. I've also found over the years, service manuals with "pictures" are by far the best manuals ever made, that and parts books that give bolt lengths and sizes, which are rare anymore to come by. I'll have to give two thumbs up for the next generation though, my son uses his cell phone to take pictures, then downloads them onto his laptop, to blow up so I can see them, gosh technology is great once in a while.
Randy88, these dozers are very simple, lots of large parts and bolts make it easy to reassemble, and yes refering to manuals with pics and parts books make me even more confident in my work. Sometimes i get things out of order and have to take something off to install something that runs under it but this thing didn't have to many pieces. I have always approached my work from the perspective that a part is failed therefore i don't want to put it back the way the last guy did, i want to put it back correctly or the way the book tells me to. I came across this one day when i was rebuilding a d6h trans, i had only lasted about 1200 hrs on the dealer rebuild and the forward clutches had looked like they had melted out of the trans!!!! I checked every single part number on that pack and found they had installed one of two parts of an update which allowed a little to much clearance on the forward clutch plates!!!!!!!!...........theironoracle
Yair . . . theironoracle . Is that Mazda ute (pickup) with the canopy in your #41 post a common item in your parts? What engine do they run in the 'States? I agree with D9gdon that stack looks way small. Cheers.
And if your anything like me, the old knees feel it.
SCRUB PULLER, that belongs to a customer, i know a little about those trucks, the model of those trucks is a b2200, which make the engine a 2200 cc gas engine......................theironoracle
Yair . . . Thanks theironoracle , I was just curious thats all, I didn't realise the Mazda's were available in the US . . . I have their three litre turbo/aftercooled diesel and it seems a nice truck so far. Cheers.
Scrub Puller, For some reason the market and the EPA don't like small turbo diesels its has to do with brain damage at an early age I think
Yair . . . stinkycat . I have been told that before, doesn't seem to make sense to us fellers looking in . . . and from your comments it seems you think the same. The little diesels are effective and I'm sure they have a place. Cheers.
Scrub Puller I started playing with diesels in the 50's and loved everyday Detroit from the little 53 series up to 149 series, Cleveland /EMD up to 645, a few Cummings and Cats, and with a Fairbanks Morse or two thrown in just to keep you on your toes. Turbo Diesel is good way to go. But some of the direct injected turbo charged gas engines are getting good with 2000 psi fuel pressure.
here is thursdays little projects, seals were bad and rod was badly pitted so i installed a complete adjuster.............theironoracle
first snow of the year! had to remove this blade control valve to reattach the spring and bolt to the bottom of the tilt spool, also replaced the control handle, bearings were froze up and the handle had been broken off and rewelded in place causing it to stick when angling blade, the quick couplers for the air conditioning were totally rusted had to cut them apart with a die grinder to get the top fender cover off and get new ones...................theironoracle
the clutch plates rusted to the drum had to disassemble clean and reassemble with anti-sieze on splines in and out, this all accured from just condensation the owner always parks it under cover on the farm, nice to be in a shop on this day................theironoracle
keeper bolt backed out of main boom pin!!! i just removed the waratah head, realligned and pounded pin back in to temporary it to get it on a lowboy to send to the shop, both boom cylinder barrels had to be replaced, all bores straightened and line bored, it came back out and i reinstalled the waratah, its days like this i am sure glad i don't own these things, the owner was devistated it had just had all the bores and bearings done, cylinders repacked and the new waratah installed in about June!!!!!!!!.......................theironoracle
The deere looks like a costly mistake for such a simple problem of a loose bolt.
What a shame....Not that this has anything to do with the failure but newer equipment sure looks weak compared to the old stuff. I hope whoever did the previous repair took care of the bill.
Did that John Deere have that phony set crew set up to keep the boom pin in? Outfit I used to work for had the bucket pin work out after only about 500 hours on a brand new 2154 roadbuilder. Pretty mickey mouse way of holding things together.
Bdft, it has 3/4" one bolt with a 3" washer covering a tab welded to the pin, pretty basic either hole is worn or it was not givin a good torque when installed, oldandworn the warranty is a gray area not paid for yet but maybe will be, past any basic warranty period, and these operators don't even check there oils daily they wait for pumps to start whinning, or chains to burn up bars before any action is taken, they probably hadn't even walked over to that side of the machine in weeks, who is really responsible?????....................theironoracle
Great thread theironoracle! only just caught up with it! Will you be doing the repairs to that deere also? Wondering how you would go about it? Aiden
Nice pictures! How many hours on the packer when that happened? Is that common? I've been looking for an affordable packer, and have been worried about the damage done to a high hour machine. Expensive to fix a machine like that? Jerome
thanks CPS. no i did not do the repairs, typically i don't tie myself to week long projects if they can go to a shop. so to go about it. i would have removed boom and cylinders, pull things as straight as possible with thru hole 60 ton ram and rod, weld up broken stuff, call line bore guy to bore. reverse disassembly process, buff out paint lol! farmer3 i don't recall how many hours were on this roller at the time 3-4000hrs probably, yes this is very common, a company i worked for had a bomag 213d we did eccentric bearings and islolators about every 1000 hrs, no other major component failures before we sold it at auction. this repair was $7360.17 parts and labor on site.................................theironoracle
hard to get motivated to pull a camera out in the winter, here's a little coupler project got it done without opening up the hydraulic system at all.......theironoracle
just a few more...........theironoracle
first one is a broken jaw shaft out of a pegson 27?x44? Don't know it is shown earlier in my thread, i think this is the fourth broken shaft in this crusher in about 7000 hrs? The other pics are of a broken delimber knife the customer had me weld back together..........theironoracle
this is a quadco feller head i put new tilter bushings in and extracted 4 or 5 broken bolts, one of which took about 3 hours i ended up using a carbide burr to remove all of the bolt that i couldn't drill and then tapped it out pretty much the threads had become one somehow. The new bushings fit loose inside the grooves and quadco said that was ok..........theironoracle
keep the pics coming! makes me wish I still worked in the woods
this is the first bucket in a group of four bucket repairs and rebuilds. This is the easy one, remove wear plates, install new. The iron on pallets is for all of them. All formalloy 400, 1/2" side and rolled bottom plates, 3/4" bottom strips and misc. Had a fit with the hardface i pulled it off the shelf and tried to use it decided it was 15 years old thru it out and got new we will see if that was the problem on the next bucket................theironoracle
bought a new 45 amp hypertherm plasma cutter, used it to scarf old stuff off amazing control and plenty productive, i highly recommend this, it was my first time scarfing with a plasma. Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where did you get the rolled bottom plates?
mitch504, i use a local steel company in eugene oregon called farwest steel corp, they provide the material, cut and form all in house, its extremely productive to do one stop shopping......theironoracle
Great thread, as a small business owner that does mostly all of my own regular service to my equipment and not being a mechanic, it blows my mind the work that a professional mechanic like yourself gets into and attacks head on and makes it seem like no big deal, weather working in or outdoors to boot! Fantastic pics, please keep em coming.
tags, thanks for the compliment..........theironoracle
a 966gii wheel loader bucket overhaul, seems like i had every issue i could have had, sometimes things don't go as planned. I can't find the picture with the bottom cut out and the side plates removed i will post that when i find it, still have two excavator buckets to replace the bottoms in............theironoracle
I am needing the exact hydr. coupler for my excavator, dealer says it not available in the US. Do you by chance know a part # or what dealer supplied the coupler? Thanks
Jbgash, the dealer that supplied this was cascade trader in chehalis washington. Machine is a 2004 daewoo 300, they stock it in as shown and also with the splinded center pump driver which i didn't need. If they can't get it with that info i will pull invoices and get the part number i ordered that last summer so it is getting kind of deep in the file cabinet...........theironoracle
Thank you ironoracle. I took it to a dealer in Kansas City and they found one for me today. Your picture helped very much.
Great work there!!! Are you self employed?
great thread,looks like you don't get time to even scratch ya-arse
Another bucket started and finished...........theironoracle
All went real well and came out pretty decent.........theironoracle
Nice work, looks excellent. What thickness and metal do you use on the bottom and the cross bars?
JBGASH, thanks. 1/2" faralloy 400 bottom and sides and side bar, 3/4" faralloy 400 on cross bars. this bucket was brand new april of 2012 it probably only has 1000 hrs on it. it will take a little longer to get through the bottom this time............theironoracle
Nice job. Good to see you have the cross strips sussed out. So many still doing them the old way and wrapping them around the roll.
Now that's a top knotch weld. :notworthy
thanks guys, just to be forward about the weld picture it IS of the BEST weld on the project, there are others like it but some of my longest weld was about two feet it is just difficult for me at the end of the day to stay in position that long and keep the puddle smooth. i am having a serious issue with a roll of .052 i will show you pictures of that and maybe someone can confirm what i am doing wrong or if it is just a bad roll of wire..........theironoracle
can you get a bad roll of wire? I was welding pretty good the other day until I changed to a new roll of wire and then I looked like a beginner. that thought crossed my mind but I didn't know. TIO keep posting pics, I like the logging equipment!
a day at the beach
i am trying to figure out a good power source to power my miller suitcase extreme inside the shop. currently i only use it on my gas drive miller 302 works great but i have to park the truck outside and run the power cables thru the door.......theironoracle
Yair . . . redline Where's that at mate . . . it looks a bit like Bribie and what's the go with the little bundwalls? Cheers.
tio on post #81 what is that Vehicle in the back ground?
stinkycat, that is a 53' gmc 1/2 ton 5 window..........theironoracle
hey mate in the fourth pic u can see about 100m out behind the dumper a sand bar, the small bund wall was the start of an access out there for me to us the PC300LC-8 to load the A25E's in the last pic u can see me looking back towards where the fourth pic was taken from, the whole plan was to move the channel from where it can be seen in the last pic too 150m to the left to stop erosion of the headland and the sandy cove that is being utilized for swimming, fishing and fitness clubs to do there training on the sand in the mornings but mother nature does not like the channel being moved lol. it is at lake Currimundi mate, not far from bribie at all.
Yair . . . redline Gotcha mate. Used to be my home turf around that area . . . mostly chasing flathead on home-made lures in the days before it was fashionable. LOL Like you, I reckon the engineers are pi$$ing into the wind if they think they can mess with mother nature just with sand . . . but it would probably be a fair haul to bring in any decent rock. It 'ud be a nice job though . . . apart from the sandflies. Cheers.
tio, what kind of power do you have at the shop? a miller xmt 350 would power your suitcase fine and its fairly compact.
thanks pipelinemech i left a note in tomv's thread and he had the same suggestion using the xmt 350 cc/cv. i guess i will pick one up the next time i have a large project in the shop.......theironoracle
fridays job, replace a rotec bearing in a log grapple. Also new rotator motor and pinion, the pinion was sharp and teeth were missing in some rotec bearing.....theironoracle
sorry pictures got out of order, ask questions if you need further explanation. The project went as planned which rarely happens, 14,000 HARD HOURS OF USE, NOT BAD ........theironoracle
your standard head gasket job, failure (pushing water out radiator) after less than 2000hrs as you can see it failed between cylinders 3&4. I found no other problems explaining why it failed, i.e. Not clean in that area, block was good, head flat, liner protrusion good. It didn't hit me until i was i was torquing the head for the 3rd round that maybe the last guy only torqued twice around? Those are the first two head bolts that get torqued in sequence and i bet they are nearly 50ft/lbs light after the second round, sorry about the picture quality time for a new camera my i-phone takes better pics than my camera.............theironoracle
all done, got new classic exhaust, and pre-cleaner assembly. Just a little more confusion, i found 5 random valves that were like .020 loose and the other 7 were spot on i think maybe the wrong guy at the dealer worked on this thing, who knows.....................theironoracle
please help i have tried everything with this .052 and can't figure it out..........theironoracle
i forgot to share this last bucket with you guys, don't have a picture of it totally completed.......theironoracle
large valve, little hole...........theironoracle
please help i have tried everything with this .052 and can't figure it out..........theironoracle Try cutting back on the volts a bit.Those worm tracks are symptoms of to high a voltage Good pics too!
rayf, thanks for the tip, i may not get to do that much welding for most of the year hopefully i remember..........theironoracle
just a rotary manifold i removed resealed and reinstalled. i now realize i should have snapped a pic when it was in two pieces. oh well enjoy.........theironoracle
a rotec bearing replacement, for more info on this look into thread "slewing ring rotec bearing replacement" if not enjoy here, i love working outside not hard to understand why from these pictures.....theironoracle
I take it Mt Ranier in the background.
not mt ranier, further south, mt adams...tio
Thanks, just a guess on my part, never been in WA state. Nice pic shot.
a john deere 6068t engine i had to completely overhaul i don't usually do anything but inframes because at this point i can't beat factory pricing, on this one i actually met the factory pricing and the customer knows exactly who is going to warranty it if need be..................tio
same motor just more pics, this was the main failure area, and you can see the piston is roached, in fact at least 5 of the pistons had cracks in them, i didn't worry about finding the crack in the 6th one but i am sure it was there!................tio
so here is a 3126e witch as you can see broke the top of the valve stem off, after removing the head i found the inside of the motor looked good, and didn't see anything wrong with the cam followers, amazing luck this time, just installed a reman head from cat and got the machine back to work.............tio
here is a radiator r&r install new core and complete aftercooler, this customer is an owner operator heavyhauler and likes to be involved (very paticullar), he does have a face just don't know if he wants it on hef lol, he said the truck is amazing to drive again, we did a tranny and clutch install on this truck a few months back this is his third truck with a retarder and we install a new cast iron tranny bellhousing which he has the other 11 holes drilled through it so the tranny bolts on with 23 bolts all the way through the retarder housing to the back of the engine, he had a ton of oil leak problems followed by cracked retarder housings and stripped bolts in the engine bellhousing on his first one so this is his remedy ..............tio
Nice pics. Keep em Coming. What was the 3126e in? Currently swapping one out of my service truck. I had so much blow by it covered my frame with oil. Me and the boss figured I could swap it way quicker than rebuilding it.
322 c cat forestry delimber high and wide undercarriage so it's a bit more hike up to the motor and down to the service truck.......tio
Hi Ironoracle, My name is Justin. I heard that you are from the Hood River area. I log on Fir Mt. and many times could use some help. If you could send me your contact info I may have some work for you.
Is that an Arnold machine?
Looks like Pat's?
here is a 660d timberjack skidder trans r&r, the front driveline came loose and broke a hole in the case, I did not do the case swap just removal and reinstall......TIO
just a head gasket in a 3116, not sure haven't found the failure! just process of elimination, head tested good, block is flat, cylinders not cracked! if anyone else has any ideas, all that I can figure is it was operated so little after getting overheated I can't see where the gasket is failed. the machine showed up with combustion in the radiator, no warning lights work, no water pump belt, and oil cooler fins where very plugged........TIO
I like that chain hoist you have supporting the bell housing on the skidder, keep one of those in my service truck, helluva handy hoist. :drinkup
I saw this while driving down the freeway. I really like this set-up, always thought that some sort of version of this weather a curtain side or a dry van style would be great to have here in the northwest for the winter and spring, then to have some nice wide stairs to climb up either side with hand holds would be great. The biggest problem I have with this kind of set-up is the articulated crane, I just like how a telescopic crane works with a winch....any thoughts???...................TIO
willie59, I have a pair that size (1.5ton?) and a pair of 500 pounders, they are great for those 20-100lb pumps and starters and what not you have to put in small holes.................TIO
Why couldn't you have a setup like in that picture and built a pedestal to mount a telescopic crane on?
Mike, I could do that I am just not one to spend a bunch of money to try it my way to then it ends up not working out and I'm stuck with a truck that's all built up with my ideas that no one wants! I know no risk no reward but for now I will put my risk other places until I have to build/buy another service truck..........TIO
I have often thought about building a truck very similar to the curtain truck. I have a former beverage truck that had the frame modified for the beverage body. I've thought of putting a set of tandem drive axles under it and then mount an 8 foot van box between the cab and the drive axles, where the frame is dropped. Install roll up doors on each side and you've got lots of room with the floor low to the ground. Then mount a knuckle boom crane directly over the front drive axle with a short flatbed behind. But I would think that this setup would have alot of weight on the front axle. Maybe thats why they have the crane at the very back?
you can get that crane with a winch!! the only problem I can see with that rig is ground clearance in the middle. I spend a lot of time off road fixin things that never seem to break next to the road!! lol as I get older i think a UTV of some sort would be a nice add on to the truck to save the old knees from the trips back to the truck bout the time you get the truck the way you want it, its wore out & you have to start all over again!!!
I had the privilidge of using a knuckle boom crane here awhile back, its a lot more useful than I thought for removing BIG pins on buckets/booms!! I thought they were useless till I spent a week working on site with another mechanic that had it on his truck. he said he would never go back to a telescopic crane again!!! he had the winch option on his tho..
just a tranny cooler line and hose on d8k. this new one is a cat classic part half price of new o.e. ...............TION
Just some new cutting edges. I thought I would show kind of a how to or at least a how I was taught. 1) use proper blocking procedure 2) remove worn cutting edges and clean mounting surface (grind all "lips" from bottom edge and around bolt holes) 3) remove excess paint from mounting surface of new parts 4) tighten with 1" gun hit around each bolt with 8lb hammer and re-tighten wah-lah done! this seems a bit like overkill at times but 16 years and never had one come loose...........TIO
I need help identifying what all I have here, a catalogue and maybe an operators manual for the final drive bits, it came with an operators manual for the track pin press. I just realized I didn't get any pictures of the final drive pullers laid out doooooh!....TIO
Thank you! I have that all the time as well. I do find turning down the voltage a bit helps. Thought it was my welder. Ken
Usually when I get asked about working on these mechanical unit injectors in these engines I tell the customer to call the dealer, well this time they had a little time for the project so I finally broke down and bought the tools. Now if I said I didn't learn something new here I'd be lying, this was pretty tedious to learn and in fact I had to turn to youtube to help understand the procedure a bit. got through it though and the thing runs like a champ. the motor was a 3116 in a cs563c cat roller. Was also wondering for you guys that do these often how many hours would you charge for all of this 1 rack synchro set 2 valve set 3 injector height set 4 fuel setting I don't think I missed anything there!......TIO
Here is a machine you have seen in my thread before. This time I am removing the cab so it can go to a machine/fab shop. I had to pull the engine out again disassemble it and use the "correct" sealant on the front and rear. There is also pictures of the cab after it came back from the machine/fab shop they didn't even get close the first time, had to haul it back and have them try again.
sorry about the top photos they are right side up before uploading not sure why they are rotating
finished
I have more pictures of work but I am not going to post them until I figure out why they are uploading sideways!............TIO
Try upside down. That will work for me
I have tried every direction they always upload the same way!!!!!!!!!!!TIO
took me a bit to get the joke RAYF. LOL..................TIO
Your camera may have an "orientation sensor" which puts some extra data in the JPG file to tell software how to rotate it so that "up is up". It may look correct in your viewing software, but if you look at the pictures in Windows explorer they might be rotated. If you fix them in Windows explorer, then upload them that might correct your problem. I have seen this happen on Facebook uploads.
Hey Oracle: Great pics. Any chance you have any of a broken loader boom pin? I'm finishing up a textbook on Heavy Equipment and need some good pictures of certain things. Thanks, Scott
Profooky, I will have to look. You are needing a picture of a large 3-4" pin broke in two pieces? I have replaced such things just not sure if I got pictures of it.....TIO
That's a great picture and it's nice to see professionals at work. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Oracle: Sure, that would be great. I have replaced a few, the best/worst being a 992G top boom pin (6-7" dia.), but that was before I thought about writing a book and didn't take any pictures. Whatever you can come up with would be a bonus. If and when you can get a picture, would I be able to use it in my book? Thanks for the Help.
I am going to try a few pictures to see if I have figured out the sideways photo problem... just an undercarriage didn't take many photos just got busy.....TIO
If I only was as smart as this computer I could post pictures that didn't hurt your neck....TIO
Post as many any way you want, we all enjoy them no matter how we have to hold the computer to see them, besides, you have me beat, I have to have my kids load any of mine for me.
A little disassembly job so it could go on the lowboy......TIO
This is a little Allis Chalmers 4 cylinder, the customer said it got hot. I poured water in and it ran out. This was hidden behind the injection pump so I had to remove it to get to the plug. I have never seen freeze plugs rust through, just goes to show I still have lots to learn.........TIO
Had to add another tool box to the new service truck. These boxes are considerably smaller than the old boxes but have some pretty interesting features, one being aluminum. I'm glad I had a crane around to lift it in, even being aluminum there pretty heavy..............TIO
The owner called me up and said he had a hydraulic leak inside the boom of his telehandler. Finally after cutting pieces of cable and hose out I was able to pull the booms apart by anchoring the front boom to the hitch on my truck and backing the telehandler up repeatedly until they pulled apart. As you can see the bearings and shafts in the sheaves hadn't seen grease in forever and had failed causing the cable to slip off causing the havoc.....TIO
This grader is getting the front end overhauled. It was kind of a mess when it came in. The weight bearing surfaces had to be welded and remachined, then I pressed new bearings in it and put it back together. Every bearing seal and pin in the front of this machine was replaced. I still have the blade to tighten up and the brakes to replace, I will post those pictures later.....TIO
The truck and work look good. How you liking the new truck, able to find all your tools when you need them, after moving to the new truck? Sure is a good looking truck.
Yair . . . theironoracle That's interesting, it used to be very common back in the days when we used straight water . . . I usually replaced them with brass ones. There was some series of truck, probably an International that often developed a leaker on the back of the block against the firewall . . . I seem to remember that was how I became acquainted with hole saws. (big grin) We call them Welch or core plugs. You blokes call them freeze plugs. One of our fitters reckoned he'd seen a few frozen engines down in the High Country but had never seen one pop. Cheers.
Not sure why they call them freeze plugs as they don't normally prevent frozen blocks and they are there to get the sand out after casting. Truck looks good. You can't have enough drawers.
so how did you spec out the new truck? 300hp cummins, Allison auto, 33,000 gvw?
"On a quiet night in New York you can hear a Maverick rust" ? They used to say that in these parts. ...don't hear it anymore. Course they quit making Maverick s. They do say that you can ear the corn grow round ear.
Just a few pieces in the hydro return filter from a failed cylinder.....TIO
Just a few cool pictures of shop trucks after a long day on the job. If you look behind them you can see the Link Belt LX700 shown in some of my previous posts. Once again it was disassembled for transport, this time however i had two helpers plus an operator and another machine around to help with the disassembly, the job went way faster....TIO
Nice. I almost forgot what winter looks like in the north.
Mike L, here is some more winter The day started off nice with a good stick in the mud. The motor came out of a Link Belt 240, almost as much blow-by as exhaust something wrong with #6 hole. On the way out of the job the customer wanted me to look at another machine and guess what stuck again, that is probably enough for the year.....TIO
Damn sideways pictures argh!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like that faded edge camera affect? That would be from dropping it in a puddle of hydraulic oil and water.......TIO
That would make a great company Christmas Card.
I miss being in the north but I don't miss being stuck in the snow! How much machine did it take to get you out ? Are these iPhone pics? If they are try using the tapatalk app to post them. If not, I can't help you!
Great thread thanks
Started out the morning burying it up to the box! Then got to extract a motor. Then on the way out the customer wanted me to take a look at another machine and i got stuck there too!.....TIO
It looked like you where checking to see how deep the mud was, with your truck. Sometimes the bottom can be hard to find.
TIO, a good place to test your Charabanc would be in the U.K. those axles would be out of site, my little chariot has constant 4x4 plus a remote controlled winch and I still struggle to plough through the slop. tctractors
Nice track pin press ya got there. :drinkup Ok, clue me in here, looks like you took the final apart with the torque multiplier, then put it back on and locked down the bearing ring with the bohunkin torque wrench, no? And hard to tell just by the pic, but that looks like Hensley XS teeth on that bucket.
I got things way out of order but I will add some explaining. Top picture pulling the track back together with a strap, i am finding this way of doing it is a bit unique people watch real close the first time they see me do it and tend to copy. Second picture, this is the first time i have used my track pin press as a track pin press, the ram itself has been very handy with bushing. Third picture, final torque on the final drive retaining nut, 1300 n/m i think about 950 lb/ft. Pre-torque with 1" 600 lb/ft wrench......TIO
Nice work, I understand perfectly. BTW, that tool you're using on the retaining nut, you fabricate it?
This is the spanner tool I built with the retaining nut. The final drive actually came apart easy due to the seals being failed and the bearings being worn? I used the 26:1 multiplier to put the final torque on the nut......TIO
Very Nice! :drinkup
Customer had me show up with my hydrualic torque wrench to remove the 1000 lb/ft allen socket bolts to remove the upper frame them reinstall a not broken upper frame. I also took the time to drop in the motor/hydro pump as a unit. They will finish it up, when it is running i will come back and torque the bolts on the rotec back down to the 1000 lb/ft............TIO
I invested in a hydo torque wrench a few years ago, thought at first it was a crazy investment BUT it has opened many doors for me once word got out I have it!! looks like the same for you also.. I have 2 shops that their guys do everything, never could even get them to let me quote anything for them, got that & they call quite often now!! BTW good looking work.. I have saw that strap trick for getting the track back together
I haven't seen the strap trick before. Can you explain it?
Look back to post #173 there is a picture, pretty self descriptive. Hope to never need it but will file it away so I can look smarter than I really am some day!
I can see it now that I'm on my laptop. was a little hard to see on a phone.
Just a bit of a patch on the frame rail. For some reason the body prop won't hold the bed up with half a load in it!!!! I will never run out of work.........>TIO
Who woulda thunk that, right? LoL Looks like a Deere/Bell arctic truck, no?
This here is my first ever set of sprockets i have pressed on. Also showing some final drive/track press tools i purchased on craigslist.......TIO
Willie, yes that is a deere 350d...........TIO
Nice mending job. :drinkup
like the saying goes " when you make something foolproof nature evolves better fools" LOL there is job security for all of us mechanics!!
Additionally, it's not uncommon for a mechanic to show up after "**** happens!".
I Love it FS, oh and well done tio on the repair. tctractors
Super duper busy. Got some new stands to pack in the truck (I just copied Tom V). A new idler in my Pegson. Found a little debris in a Hyundai fuel system.
A strut getting resealed on the bumper. The R&R on this thing would have been impossible without the hydraulic torque wrench! How did I ever do repairs without one before? TIO
Checking some liner protrusions on a 3408, D8L application. TIO
I thought you would be outta room in that new truck by now? Or the jack stands go where the passenger seat WAS LOL
15 months now and all I have done is throw my tools in it and went to work. I even installed a tool box in that left front cabinet and only have about 3 drawers used up! I have been super busy couldn't have purchased the truck at a better time........TIO
I couldn't do without my hydraulic torque wrench!! best purchase I made, I thought it was pricey when I bought it but its paid for its self many times over thru the years!! glad you have been staying busy. its been very busy here since January for us also!!
Replacing lower cheeks plates in the crusher. The jaw die was extra stuck and the recent 100 degree weather along with a sledge hammer about did me in.....TIO
A head pulley overhaul. The conveyor is about done....TIO
are theses on your machine?
Mike L, Yes this is my machine. I have put a few hours and parts in it lately.....TIO
TIO, did you pop those jaw plates to rotate them or just get to the side wear plates? the times I have stripped out the jaw plates from these Crushers they have always been easy with no trouble to get out the wedges etc, the Extec C12 still plates are hard to set free needing at least half a brain to strip and re-fit, all that side impacted dirt and stone locks the plate in very well. tctractors
TC, I removed the fixed plate just to do the lower cheek. The wedges popped free just fine with a dozen blows of a 16 pound hammer but the plate itself took lots of pounding and wedging. I must have wedged it out 4"s at the top before it came loose. The fixed plate is 50% one end and 100% on the other. This is my first time with this jaw whomever installed the last set of dies must not have done the cheeks at the same time?...TIO
This old girl got a new carrier roller and stand, new seals in the track adjuster, 4 new pads, a link removed so the adjuster wasn't over extended, oh yeh pretty hot today and the wind was crazy..........happy 4th.....be safe......TIO
Need to give this track press a bunch of praise, it's been getting lots of use this year and has been super reliable. So glad I am not doing it the old fashion way with a torch and hammer! Especially on 109 degree days!!!!!!!TIO
Did I see that right...109 degrees F? Yeah, that's a bit warm.
109 in the northwest? That's unheard of! Only saw that once in 2 years when I was in Texas.
just keep that hot weather up there!!!! i just need some dry weather to get caught up on a few things.. this mud has been slimey the last few weeks!!
A few pics from Friday. Just a quick track adjuster re-seal, everything went real well.......TIO
Hello TIO, what make and model hydraulic torque wrench are you using? The shop I'm working at may be in the market for one and I honestly know nothing about them. What would you recommend? Thanks!
Mine is a Hytorq, search them on eBay. Model XMT? 3/4" square drive. I purchased it used with the power unit. If I were buying new I would go 1" drive, and electric power unit. The air unit is very noisy, messy plus the air compressor noise.....that's what I know I am far from a hydraulic torque wrench guru!!!!!TIO
Hard to take good pictures of this job. A re seal of a rotary manifold in a link belt 75 excavator. I was pretty sure I was going to have to remove the boom but found my arms were just long enough (barely). TIO
I know that felling TIO, I'd rather change a rotary joint on a 300 class excavator than an mini, at least you can get in there on a 300. :yup
The chest hurt from laying on it in for hours and the head hurt from being upside down for to long at times. All in a day's work......TIO
Nice track press. Have you stalled it out yet?
I like the picture you shared. Awesome one.
Going to have a look onto your attached link. Thanks guy!
I stall it out probably 50% of the time I use it. In its defense it's only good for 8500 psi which is 85 tons. Thanks....TIO
Right! I'll check it out.
Repairing a swing boom on a D-5H skidder....TIO
The blade was not functioning on this old D-8H. Had to pull the tank off to get to the control valve and found the problem right off. Took a while to locate the broken pieces floating inside the tank, all better now....TIO
Keep the pictures coming! Pic is worth a thousand words. Either you love it or you hate it.. Wrenching, that is. I love it. Most days. Once in blue moon I have couple days I'll even tell my boss I hate working on tractors. He knows I'll be back in full force.
Removing a generator from a tug boat. Unbolted it from its original spot and hoisted it over to the "sunroof" so it could be hoisted out with a big crane.....TIO
A new brush install....TIO
View attachment 143962 View attachment 143963 The only shade for miles....TIO
What's the problem with the generator ?
Mike, this is the second of a pair identical generators. The first one failed a year ago? With about 30,000 hours it had a valve interfere with a piston. So this one is being removed because it's time.....TIO
Here is my most recent project. D8R trans and diff rebuild. The issue was lots of metal in oil. Found the very last roller bearing in the tranny missing "PTO output". All bearings, seals, both shafts, fractions and some carrier parts. The torque had to many failed parts so that was replaced with a reman. Brake control valve which has aluminum spools inside an aluminum housing was totally wasted because of steel pieces in the system. I am going to have a few hours in this to say the least. Total cost to customer will be near $50k for this part. After it is mobile again it will get new pads and rail sets and maybe some other bits. Enjoy and have a Merry Christmas!!!!!!TIO
I forgot I posted that last picture. Just another "milestone". On the new service truck. I tried to get the picture at 999.9 hours but couldn't stop in time. Ignore the engine light it's just "EGR plugged". It's not causing any performance problems. I will look at it in a while and let you know what I found......TIO
TIO, You have a great variety of work and it looks like never an "uninteresting" day (I did spend a winter rebuilding power broom brushes on the airfield though, not so interesting after the first half dozen or so). Thanks for taking the time to post the pics. Regards, Bob
We had a Rosco Sweeper at the quarry where I worked. Had to replace the brushes on it a couple times. Stood the shaft assembly on end and stacked the individual brushes and spacers on one at a time. Can agree that doing half a dozen or more in a row could get boring big time!
Using the hydraulic torque wrench to loosen the mounting bolts. Removed the final/brake/steering assembly, cleaned rebuilt eith brake frictions and bearings and seals. This was done to clean the metal from the failed transmission...TIO
A few pictures of the undercarriage project which came after the trans and brake job. Should be good for a few years????TIO
Very cool pics of the D8R final drive.
WOW, i bet that is why my case 188D engine is blowing water out radiator.. Nice this helped me alot. On page 7 of picture of head gasket repair
I like the long reaction arm on your torque wrench. Did you make that?
Yes Mike I built that longer reaction arm. I need to rebuild lighter weight, I engineered it with safety in mind and it is really heavy!!....TIO
The iron pictures should make me sick. The dog picture does make me sick. I can't stand suffering in an animal. Even death should be instant for them.
TIO looks like you found a nice warm spot to work on that D8!!! its nice to get a "inside job" when its cold/snowing!! good looking work there!! I love my hydraulic wrench couldn't do without it!!
Thanks F-service. I got some cabin fever working inside that much. I keep thinking of updating that hydraulic torque wrench, it is 3/4" and air drive pump, I want to go to 1" and electric drive, looks be about $5,000 to do it though probably not worth it....TIO
I have looked into this hydraulic Torque Wrench issue to some degree, my thoughts are anything below 1" 1/2 drive is not of any use to me as there is mechanical tooling about for just a few £100 pounds that can cope as good and faster than this oil set up, the price of the kit is very strong for something that is a bit hard to be able to charge the Customer for, so anything under 1"1/2 drive in my mind is not a good investment but I would love to know different??? tctractors
Tio ... you're worth your weight in gold. It's guys like yourself that keep this world running. You should have at least two apprentices working with you, who could learn from your vast knowledge of equipment and do any grunt work for you. Amazing and totally inspiring.
Undercarriage work again? They say things come in 3's which means there must be another one in the near future? A note here for TC about hydraulic torque wrenches, I used one here to remove 400 pad bolts and 80 bottom roller bolts. Most pad bolts took 3000 ft/lbs to bust loose, I was 4 times as productive using the hydraulic torque wrench over using 1" impact and the rose bud. For many reasons the customer wanted pads unbolted not torched off. Many ways to skin a cat (pun intended) hydraulic torque was the fastest and easiest. I was able to remove and install these bottom rollers without removing the rock guards, thank you to CAT for good engineering! And of coarse a pic of the invaluable track press doing its job again.....TIO
TIO, a good job well done and credit to your efforts, its not the common thing in the U.K. now for fitters/mechanics to swap out track plates due to firstly the cost, then the issue with re-using the old bolt hardware on new chains, the Track outfits usually handle the plate swap, I don't mind doing the work on the pads its a bit boring and I have done plenty of it, but its work that I get little of, the track guard job was a sound bit of a dodge. tctractors
How would you break down the types of jobs you do? Mostly undercarriage? Engine ?Hydraulic?
Mikel, It's just hit and mis with everything. What I have posted in my thread is the major stuff you can actually take pictures of. Over the last month what you don't see is, diagnostic of a hydraulic solenoid valve failure keeping a rock hammer on an excavator from working correctly, 2 days finding rat chewed wires in that d8r keeping ripper from working correctly, new feeder belt and fuel transfer pump and some minor welding on a powers teen warrior, half a day a customer hired me to inspect a used log loader he was looking at buying, a few hydraulic cylinder remove and reinstalls, other wiring diagnostics, etc. Also lately I have had my crusher out on rent and of coarse I perform all repairs and maintenance on it plus train operators on how to use it. I just do a little of everything from the owner operator to the large guys with hundreds of employees. I really enjoy different jobs and different customers. I have a great job and a group of real good customers. How about yourself mikel?...TIO
A pump drive coupler replacement on a 330cll. Just enough room to remove coupler pieces and flywheel without losening any hydraulic lines. The flywheel had to be remove to remove a broken bolt. My jobs haven't been much to take pictures of lately......TIO
Lucky you TIO, not often one is able to pull the pump away from the housing and not have to crack open or remove hoses and pipes. Nice. :drinkup
Willie I just do my best to be "priceless". Look at my post #64, i think the saying goes "even a broken clock is right twice a day". Well that's twice for me so next time I guess I'll break the seals! Lol!!!!! TIO
LoL, one thing I'm quite certain of, whether you get to simply pull it back a bit, or whether you have to break the seals...you'll kick it square in the arse, rock on bro! :drinkup
Tough to take good pictures of these projects. Eccentric repair in a roller. Tons of fuel in the oil on the link belt. The weather has been super nice!!!! TIO
Interesting, I've never had the pleasure of pulling the wobbler apart in a roller drum. Pretty cool how you stood the drum on end to do the surgery. :drinkup
I've only had one roller drum apart but life is a lot easier if you stand it on end. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Failed pivot shaft causing heavy contact between sprocket and track frame. Welded up track frame and converted to grease instead of oil. Dry iced new bushings and reinstalled. Reassembled back in the field.....TIO
Nice work TIO! The pivot shaft on my 953 is a grease fitting and with 5K on the clock it's still tight. I've never seen a tracked skidder in person, all the logging outfits in my area run wheeled skidders. Interesting machines.
Nice work TIO, it looks like you had to put down more than a couple of pounds of build-up! I bet those rear idlers take a beating, the little Deere forestry dozers are hard on them. Regards, Bob
I guess the this last picture didn't upload? Thanks guys for the compliments. If you cruise my thread I think you will see pics of numerous undercarriage and other repairs on these Cat track skidders. They are very hard on undercarriages. They don't get used on the "easy" skids mostly when the wheel skidders can't. Pivot shafts on these are oil from the factory and often ruin the seals then get converted to grease......TIO
Its been a bit since I've worked in the woods. Definately my favorite place to work! The second day was windy/cold and a bit of rain but nothing requiring rain gear. It's the best!!!! TIO
Brake repair on an oldee but goodee. Friction material left on one side of one disc!! Seals bad, one piston installed backwards? One broken spring in each side. Used the old hydraulic press to compress the springs for disassembly. Another note here is this ABS tub I'm using I found at Home Depot it's actually a mortar mix tub cheap and available in multiple sizes, good tool..... TIO
Just a standard put the track back on ASAP. Customer would normally do this themselves but I was on the job. I don't think any of the bottom rollers actually move! Pretty well trashed at 5000 hrs? Last job it had was sorting thousands of yards of rip rap from a huge pile of rock in a quarry that was sorted out as oversize for the jaws that crush!!! TIO
A note on this undercarriage: early in its oft the pads were replaced under warranty due to being soft, not heat treated correctly? Anyways I think the entire undercarriage was bad! I have seen plenty of abused undercarriage but failure this bad at 5000 hours in a first for me....TIO
That's the worst UC I've ever seen on an excavator. I'd be talking to my PSSR a long time before it got this bad. That is terrible, the grousers even look like I drew them on with a crayon.
Jaw bearing replacement in a Pegson track jaw. The pieces were a bit of a load for the little red wagon....TIO
Picture of an AFC udjustment, diaphragm was failed so I wanted to take a picture before I backed it out all the way so they could keep working while I ordered parts. What is the correct way to set these up after I repair it? Cat guy said to screw it all the way in but I'm pretty sure he wasn't remembering correctly..however the operator was smiling ear to ear when I found the problem... Dump pup trailer suspension. I have done s lot of this lately very long rough road. The wear was due to someone installing a new track rod and not aligning the axle. It was out 1.5"'s on top of that being overloaded and driven fast over a long rough road broke many springs too. This last month has been full of repairing things other "mechanics" have "fixed incorrectly or incompletely....TIO
This job was a single turbo conversion on a c-15 acert. Been a few weeks now and the owner/operator loves it. This engine has around 600k on it. The reason we did it was the manifold cracked, as we tore it apart we found the second turbo had lots of wear and was nearly failed also most of the hot side plumbing was leaking. Really cleans up the side of the engine....TIO
Nice. That modification should be done to any ACERT engine that's on the road IMO.
On my truck engines I adjust them so that there is as little smoke as possible without hesitation. All the way in (no threads showing on the set screw) gives full fuel before boost pressure comes up, which equals LOTS of smoke. Too far out (more threads showing) and the rack will never fully open even after the boost comes up. It is probably adjusted about right as pictured, and a couple of threads showing should be a good place to start. After that it is just personal preference, but blowing excessive smoke is just wasted fuel in my opinion.
At this point I agree that all acerts should have this done when a large failure occurs. Parts and labor on this job was about $12,000. This seems like a lot but that's what I figure we would have had into it if we had gone back to stock but there would have been used parts still on the truck like the exhaust cooler and #1 turbo to fail later. I am not sure if the dealer will work on this engine now but we will see. I'm not a proponent of messing with things like DPF EGR etc but this isn't a conversion like that. The c-15 was originally produced with only one turbo.....TIO
TIO, I only need two words...you're good. To identify the correct parts required to trash that twin turbo slab act by Cat and get them ordered, then do such a tidy job on the install on the right side of that power plant, brother...you're a damn good mechanic!
Willie59, I appreciate the accolades but they are not deserved in this situation. This is a kit the customer purchased and had me install. The only custom part was how long to cut the flex pipes and the fresh air intake. TIO
Well...I ain't takin it back, that's still a thumbs up job. :drinkup
I'm with Willie on that one, kit or not it takes a craftsman to install it all and make it look factory neat! :notworthy
All laid out and cleaned up. Ready to assemble the transmission control valve and get this tranny job wrapped up....TIO
I love CAT manuals, no guesswork at all. Looks like a fun job!
Yes, whenever I see a component stripped down like that, my thoughts are always for the engineers who developed it. Can't imagine designing a transmission and getting any sleep go together well. Then they've gone to the extra effort of documenting it, boy, it's impressive really. Like the organised way you've laid it all out, TIO, makes a big difference when it comes to reassembling it. Cat would approve.
That transmission looks like a fun project. The guts in the planetary section look just like an old 966C or so but the main case is very different. Probably most of the same kind of parts just stacked together a little different. Wild guess, probably way off, but is that out of a scraper? Best thing to have on the Cat transmissions jobs was lots of room to spread things out and keep some order to them. Always liked having the boss come in when the last part came off and gears and clutches spread out over three benches. They always had a glazed over look on their face trying to figure out if it was ever going back together and actually work.
I did a D7 thirty years ago, G or H not sure... I know what you mean about the "deere in the headlights" look the boss got when he saw that long pile of bits and pieces all laid out! I remember he said "Wow! I've never seen one all apart like that before!" I couldn't resist and promptly responded in a quiet voice "Umm, neither have I..." I don't think he slept too well until the old girl was pushing dollars around again, lol :tong
Sounds just like the time I was working on a' at that time, fairly new 966C Cat. Seems one of the nyloc-nuts for the piston in one of the hyd.cylinders had backed off. Never figured that out unless the factory never tightened it. Any how when the nut hit the bottom of the cylinder it eventually broke off the crimped part that holds the nylon in place. It managed to work it's way up into the control valve and lock things up. As those machines have the valve body inside the tank nothing to do but pull the top and bottom of the tank and start pulling parts. Had it gutted out and found the offending piece of steel. Actually no real damage that would not buff out easy. Well with his machine sitting there in a pile of parts Frenchy, the working group leader asked the question, "How often have you had to do this?" I think he was a bit worried when I replied, "I've never had one of these apart before!" Later that day he was all smiles when the machine pulled out of the shop and went back to loading customer's trucks.
Long day pulling the torque out of an old 46a. Also pulled tilt cylinder and cooler. Found plenty of pieces in the torque suction screen. TIO
Looks like there is no extra room to lift it out. Getting it to that point doesn't look to be much fun at all.
I am no expert but there looks to be a few gears missing from the picture that need roping in to the case as you lift out? did you remove the scavenge pump before removing the case, it's always best to remove both oil coolers to clean out the water side. tctractors
ccccc
Great photos, I think I will start posting my work photos soon.
TC, I can't for the life of me figure out how to PM these pics to you do here they are. Mostly it's just pictures of what I'm pretty sure is not reusable my biggest question is the splines on the inside of the impeller. Not sure if you can tell but they are beginning to fret, this is a rarely used farm tractor but I will still have to warranty it if it fails in the next year. Anyways give me some verbs when you get a chance.....TIO
My diagnosis is the bearings wore out causing pieces to touch but hadn't been ran so long it became catisrophic...TIO
Are king pins suppose to come out in 3 pieces? I guess I work on trucks just to teach me patients? TIO
Hey, sometimes you can't make things up LOL
TIO, in your line of photo's the 1st problem I see is the brass faced bushings that the shaft goes through are incorrectly fitted, well 1 is, so study your Service book on this point as they both should have the groves matching, the torque is showing the thrust wear that can be the result of constant lugging down in the wrong speed, I would also check the crank end float on the engine, if the impeller has no cracks in the outer face I would stuff it back home and make sure the nut is torqued up to the target, I have 2 old Drive Divider gears welded to a flat bar that I hold the Converter with and have the tanged socket (Home Made) that fits the nut to tighten things up with, the main reason for your Torque damage is the incorrect fitting of the bushings. tctractors
Crusher hopper VGF removal. Starting the fab on the new hopper....TIO
VGF re lined. Hopper all welded up and painted. The customer will be able to beat the crap out of it tomorrow.....TIO
Job security TIO. Nice job!:thumbsup
TIO in the pic with the trailer behind your truck it looks like 1 of the doors is missing on the drivers side????? what happened?? BTW very good job on the crusher
F service No doors are missing just an illusion. That's the main tool box door so it's open. Thankfully no accidents...TIO
Thanks for the encouragement, tomorrow I get to pull the swing jaw out and probably install new bearings. Not so exciting because this is my jaw so this expense is on me.....TIO
glad to hear its just open it don't pay as well to work on your own stuff but sometimes it has to be done!!!
Baby it's cold outside. Sometimes I don't feel guilty about getting to work late Monday morning...TIO
You must be up Bellingham way? I see they got it this morning.I'm east King county and we got snow last Friday. Stay warm! DB
'Tis the season. We're getting it here today as well. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What the heck is this failure? This is a 3304TA engine.....TIO
Hollow head sodium filled exhaust valve ??
Crack started at edge. Gas began burning through. As it got further away from the edge (being cooled by contact with the seat) it began to burn worse and the gully continued to propagate. I don't know if this theory is correct but it is an idea. What other problems did it have?
I wonder if valve bent just little only time valve cools is when closed . Three cracks on side that did not close as tite?
I will check the other valves for sodium leakage tomorrow! :falldownlaugh ...tio
Both birken and 8922659 are likely correct i think. Dunno about the sodium, thought by now it was a thing long past. If the valve had any carbon holding it open then it couldn't cool, so bent slightly, got worse as gas cut it. See this alot on natural gassers. I have a few heads in the shop ready for rebuild, valves looked like this or worse.
Nice that it stayed together and did not do other damage.
that pic would make a great xmas card for next year!!!
Reminds me of the Junior Brown tune " I ain't gonna work today "
That has been my song the last week or so. Lots of snow which then turned to constant rain and there is only so much you can do in a yellow slicker with water pouring in all your tools and electronics....
Ain't that the truth!
TIO, Just finished all 22 pages and all I can say is Wow! Inspiring to see all that you can do. I liked the strap trick for track assembly.
We've had 9*F weather then snow now rain. Its just that time of year. I get worried but it seems every year the first warm days of the new spring things seem to start coming together again. I love my job , the ability to start with nothing and make something , the older I get the politics wear on me more.
I actually took my phone out at work today to take pictures for the forum. John Deere haul truck had low oil pressure I removed the oil pan, looked at things in there to find no spun bearings actually everything was super clean. Motor has about 10,000 hours on it. Removed oil pump and inspected it, looks barely broke in. Hmmmmmm. Decided to remove oil filter again and take a better look at it thinking the bypass valve may be stuck open. I looked inside to see a little plastic valve which I decided could be the problem so I called the dealer and explained the scenario and asked if there was a service bulletin to confirm my suspicions. Bammm a few hours later I got the fax I needed!
Just another pic to go with the first ones.....TIO
I'm definitely out of practice all my pics are sideways!!! If you look inside that filter housing that little plastic POS is at 12:00. It opens up when you open the lid to remove the filter so the oil in the housing returns to the pan. Keeps things nice and clean during oil changes but in this case it's going to cost the owner $2000+ in just parts!!! TIO
Let's try this again. This is a rear main seal job today on a mini excavator. I'll get another pic of full disassembly with counter weight off and flywheel off. TIO
Good to see you back! Those little mini-ex are a PITA! If you're careful you might have skin left on a knuckle or two! Junkyard
Nice to see some new posts. always enjoyed your thread.
Agreed, I'd rather work on a 400 class excavator than a mini ex. Mini ex is like 10 lbs of stuff crammed into a 5 pound sack. What model was that Deere haul truck with the oil filter problem, I've got a couple of 300D artic trucks I keep up with, just wondering if they have the same engine.
This machine is a Madill 3200c feller bunched. Motor series 50 detroit. I rebuilt this motor totally from a bare block. After 30 hours the operator says he has kind of low oil pressure at idle. I go to the job and determine his gauge says 7 pounds actual is 20 pounds. He calls 2 days later says warning light is on and machine is shut down. I remove the motor which took only 1 hour 15 minutes because of this amazing designed machine. Took the engine back to the shop and upon removing the oil pan found the counter balance shaft bearings had fallen out! This shaft oil pump assembly was purchased as a rebuilt component from Detroit. They warranted the parts.....TIO
Operator complains of noise. Maybe it was the driveline flailing around? The input shaft was broken off the pump I believe the driveline failed first (u-joint) because I found zero metal in the filter or immediate hoses and no sticky valve issues. I really love these tippy cabs. Does anybody build tippy cabs on wheel loaders?.....TIO
The rock crusher this was in would only run about 1/2 hour then the engine would just shut off!!! That's how long it takes to burn out the coils in a 12 volt relay with 24 volt power. Hoodathunk? TIO
The view at work is sometimes very impressive.....blessed....TIO
Just some seals on an oldy but goody. I forgot to take a picture of the view from this location (huge river canyon) but I'm pretty sure I'll be back to cut a link out of the rails on this machine so the adjuster doesn't come apart again....TIO
Good events. Some Volvo loader cabs tip up such as the 150H?
Ditto on the tippy cabs on artic trucks, not too bad to tip on that Deere 300D. Bonus, takes a bit of acrobat work with right side cab window open, but you can fire 'em right up reaching through that window if need be for checking things.
I've run into the 12 volt relay in a 24 volt application before. I super duper A/C tech put the aftermarket system in the D11 last year and it ran for about 5 min and quit. He was so flustered with it he loaded up and left. After a little poking and prodding I found a 12 volt relay and swapped it out. All was well and that thing would freeze you out! Something like 18,000 btu is what he stuck in there. You could bring a hot 12 pack of pop in there and have a frosty beverage by lunch!
I always seem to take pictures of undercarriage work. The tire on the haul truck nearly came all the way off! It was a bit scetchy climbing under there and getting it all jacked up good thing I had my trusty otc jack stands with me thanks to tomv....all new nuts and tapper locks on that wheel fixed it up not sure how it didn't ruin all of the studs???? TIO
What did you say? I was busy having a beer to you post #333. I love working outdoors, some of the time. LOL
BUMP. Ok, not sure how or why i quit posting on HEF but its a new year so I am going to try to post her more often in 2018. HEF is a great community for sharing information with all of the heavy equipment community and i intend on being a part of that again. I hope everyone is doing well and ready for 2018. God bless, TIO
Glad to hear of your 2018 resolution!
Glad to have you back, always enjoyed the pics and story to go with.
Me too! Always enjoyed your posts.
I have to say I haven't been on here much either... seems a new girlfriend will do that BUT I have got over that now & like you said this is a great place to share info & good people
Punched out a few small hoe track links the other day... caught a few pics just because. I will say, having the press, (admittedly a little large for these small machines) makes life simply enjoyable! Work safe!
Impressive bit of kit!
I agree, nice press! simonsrplant, what is the diameter of the tie-rods? I was wondering because I built a press using 1-3/4" hardened rods and 2" base plates, so far seems to work well with a 50 ton ram...not sure if it would handle heavier cylinders (also works well as a small portable shop press). Regards Bob
Tie rods are 2 1/2 inch I forget the width of the end plate but I can barely lift it to set the press up. Usually takes two trucks to do the job. I think I’ll look into a thinner end plate for smaller equipment just to make set up easier, tho not sure what steel they cut them from to stand 150 ish ton.
Glad you are back
Was it your truck I seen for sale in the truck paper ?
Yup,
ironoracle if you don't mind my askin, why are you selling the truck?? I have been away from here a few months & just saw the post!!
Well Fservice I have decided to hang up the coveralls. I have been at this 22 years and last fall it became very difficult to go to work. I have just had enough of crawling over and under this stuff, the nastiness of the dirt and oil and the anxiety I always had wondering if I got it all back together just right. I think I need a new challenge, something new with the possibility of failure. Cause I know someone is going to ask I am starting a volumetric concrete delivery business. I pray it will be enough to at least make it 22 years? ..............TIO
TIO, Good luck with your new endeavor! I have always enjoyed your posts and hope that you will still pop in here on the forum now and again. Regards Bob
Let me throw in 1.5 cents on the volumetric concrete. We had a guy around here that did it. Trouble was he was priced about the same as calling out an 8yd rear discharge on T&M for a 1.5yd job every time I called on it. We used him once or twice but that stuff seemed so "fresh" it took forever to get to the point where it started to set up and could be shaped and worked. Like standing around for hours sometimes sometimes it seemed like. The mixers that got batched a half an hour ago seemed to set up quicker so you could get on with your life. There must be ways around this but I was not impressed, ended up not using him and just calling for a mixer instead, and now he appears to be completely gone, so be aware of that possibility if you decide to go into the business.
Birken, I do appreciate your $.02 and anyone else regarding volumetric concrete. In regards to fresh concrete This guy you describe either had a bad truck or wasn’t well educated on what he was doing. The only way you can get better concrete is to actually pour at the batch plant because that’s what these things are. My approach is going to be premium product, premium service, for a premium price. I have no intentions of trying to compete with the full load barrel trucks. Volumetric in my business model and most other people’s who do it will be targeted at short load and custom products. TIO
When I lived west or Portland OR. I used a fellow a couple times with a volumetric business. I was very happy with the mix and the service, they were small pours just what they are made to do. He could even drive his truck from the ground, which was pretty darn handy. Good luck on your new endeavor good service with a quality product will keep you busy once the people find out about you.
I hope it works out, I wish you were closer. We order short loads of concrete all the time for woods bridges, woods gates installations and other things. We just paid $1060 for 6 yards of concrete for a gate, seems like a guy could make a buck to me.
I don't doubt the guy must have had problems. Just study your market. Couple of weeks ago we did a job requiring 1.5cy, ordered 2cy to be safe. The only minor annoyance was they sent a 10.5 yard truck when they also have 8 yard trucks but that was just what they had available at that moment. Arrived within 5 minutes of appointment time, driver was very helpful, whole cost was under about $400, exactly what they quoted as I recall, they took back what we did not use. I cannot see how a short load volumetric truck could compete with that. I am always the naysayer in these kind of discussions but I suspect that is why our short load guy is gone now.
I realize your on the opposite side of the country, but this company is close to me. It might be interesting for you to look at... https://www.zimmermanindustries.com/
good luck TIO... I understand bout all of the things mentioned, I have been at it for 29 years now & its not getting any easier either. BUT its all I know!!! so im hoping to keep at it another few years but just start taking the easier jobs instead of all the big jobs.... please keep in touch & post a few pics of the mixer... I think that will be a great business to start homeowners will always want a sidewalk or this decorative landscape curb stuff is very big here lately!!
Back in a service truck fixing things for my customers!! My new to me wore out service truck. Had to go around the top and fix a bunch of leaks. A final drive on a compost turner...don’t see those everyday!
bet that turner smells good
Must be more to the story, of why you are in the old service truck. Darn leaks are a tough one to find, I think I have all mine stopped and a month latter the inside is wet.
New service trucks are a year out if special ordered. TIO
Was that truck at Ritchie Bros? It looks pretty good to me but probably not to you compared to your last one!
Old D-8H. Clutches, brakes, every bearing and all hard parts that had a seal in them and riding on them had to be replaced. The left side flange was a new aftermarket and after I got it pressed on the ring gear didn’t spin anymore. Had to remove it and take the grinder to it to make some clearance. Nearly every time I use aftermarket parts I have a problem. I always prefer used O.E. Over aftermarket...TIO
Love old 8 H's. How did the concrete job work out, did you get involved with mixing the stuff?
Yes I got involved in mixing, delivering, all of it. I talked to owners about it for hundreds of hours and I got about 80% of the cost/production/technical info I needed and after running just a few months I got all of the numbers together I realized it was not going to work out the way I needed it to for my pocket book and lifestyle so I bagged it. But now that’s out of my system and the only thing I lost was a few dollars and gained some knowledge...I know now where the grass is not greener for me.... TIO
Yes it was at Ritchie’s. It did not sell because of a title issue but the Ritchie salesman gave me the customers name so I was able to buy it direct...it is a pretty nice truck it just has lots of hours and miles on it...not what I’m used to....from a cash flow point of view a truck like this is a good place to start but from a cost point of view new is by far the only way to go....TIO
That air intake on the side of the hood looks special. Wonder what the story is behind that?
On the side of the service truck?
Yes, normally that grille has a lot of smaller holes. Either somebody made that one or the outer small hole one is missing maybe? Never took one off to see what is behind it.
Yeah that’s some aftermarket chrome crap. It’s on the both sides. They chromed out the dash which I’m starting to pick at slowly. Surprised they didn’t put a drop visor on it too. It’s got blinky lights, rotating lights, 3 different switches on the dash for work lights it’s kind of obnoxious to me but some people like....TIO
I see now. It looked painted white to me because I never zoomed in on it.
I have followed your thread for quite some time and read the entire thing several times. You do some outstanding work. I am curious to what you mean about cash flow vs cost on your service truck.
Zrupp, Cash flow is the amount of your monthly payments. Cost is calculated by taking the gross cost of ownership usually during the finance period. These numbers include, (1) total payments including down payment or trade in and a reasonable percentage of return on that money. (2) all oil changes, tires, upgrades, repairs and improvements. (3) subtract the resale or residual value (4) divide this by whatever you want to know the cost of I.E. hours, miles...In this equation there is depreciation which I don’t understand well enough to explain. What I am pretty sure of is that it has a positive (lowering) affect on cost. I enjoy talking about this stuff so feel free to ask more questions if you need to. Other people may want to chime in on this too? TIO
I find your formula very interesting. I have been having issues deciding on how to handle my current service truck woes and this calculation might help me decide. I have been kicking around the idea of ordering a new rig to spec or continue to rebuild the 07 4400 I bought. What is your stance on buying new vs leasing new with a buyout at the end with a 30% residual? the way it was explained to me was buying you pay the down payment on the front and with a lease you pay the down payment on the back side. and the obvious differences in the tax advantages on both plans.
I hate leases. I hate leases. I have a perfect example of how bad they can be. So I have always been told to stay away from leases. Last year I was experimenting with a new business. I located a truck in Canada from a Ritchie Bros auction. I was pre approved for financing (specifically standard purchase and term) and all people involved knew what truck I was interested in and where it was.. After I became the successful bidder they said there was going to be problem doing an international purchase.. They offered me a lease as the only option and I excepted. After a few short months I realized the business was not going to work as planned and I sold the assets. Since it was a lease ALL of the interest for the entire term was due....about $40,000!!! If it had been a standard outright purchase contract at worst its outstanding principal plus a small fee usually under half a percent of the original purchase price.... So in the cash flow vs cost example that would be to compare the difference in a new truck in both examples. I hope you see how this works. TIO
It has been a long while since I posted on HEF. Posting mostly in different Facebook groups. Does HEF have a Facebook group? This is a pretty nice 470 hitachi. It was ran for a bit with a bent thumb cylinder. TIO
I sure enjoy seeing your work pictures and you sharing your experiences. Hope keep sharing with us!
Me to ! Nice to see you posting again TIO ! Don't forget to post some landscape images of that beautiful part of the world you are in.
I don't know about Facebook because I don't have it or want it but sure nice to see you post here, I always enjoyed this thread!
which groups on facebook do you post in? im trying to match the truck but its not working well.
Great to see you post again
I purchased the interstate battery truck to build up for mostly welding and small repairs. The blade got flipped over to repair cracks in the push beams and then plate over them. Replaced the cutting edges while it was that way. The last is a N-14 out of frame overhaul. TIO
I have a simple information page on Facebook but haven't started a group, the Facebook page directs people here. The intent of this site was to build a reference source for heavy equipment operators where members can search for an issue they might be having with their machine immediately from past posts, you can't do that on Facebook. We all appreciate having you here!!
Steve, what is it called? I have looked on Facebook for it and haven’t located it. Tio
I don’t think I posted pictures of my new service truck. The other pictures are of me straightening the end of a link belt LX 700 boom. After it was straightened with the press and some heat it got some minor cracks welded up then linebored by a subcontractor. TIO
Nice ride.
Put Heavy Equipment Forums.com in your Facebook search bar. Like I said, there's not much going on there, it's simply intended to direct new members here where our network is already established.