Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Binders come in handy

RobVG ยท 2012-06-02 23:29

This grapple half had a 1" gap where it tore apart on both sides. A little grinding and the binder sucked it in to where there's no gap. Also used a binder to bring frame rails back to a cross member they had torn off of. Just a nice tool in the arsenal.

Replies4
  1. #1willie592012-06-03 00:06

    Nice work Rob, I've used ratchet binders on several occasions to do heavy pulling.

  2. #2Water Doc2012-06-03 14:23

    Good work, adapt and overcome. I always have some ratchet straps in my tool box. They come in handy for many things, like shifting and axle slightly to get the spring pins to line up.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2012-06-03 14:23

    Binders are good for many functions. I have used 2 break over type binders and a chain like a winch. Pull one tight, then hook a second over it and pull it tight. This loosens the first one, and you hook it over and pull again. You can get 3 or 4 inches each pull usually, unless it is really tight, then you might only get one link at a time. I have had to do this to jack the gooseneck back onto my lowbed when I messed up and dropped it on the ground, without a machine in sight to pick it up with. It was no fun. but better than calling a boom truck. I have used ratchet binders like above to pull machines back together when the hitch broke, and held it to load on a truck that way. Many uses, and they are limited only by your imagination

  4. #42stickbill2012-06-03 17:28

    They work good to bind loads on trucks too.But some still use rope.