Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Allis 706 with perkins – need a starter

crane operator ยท 2021-03-08 19:56

I've got a allis 706c "backwards tractor" forklift. Its a perkins 4-236 diesel (I think). Its not the greatest cold starter- and the cold weather this winter did it in. The starter in it looks like this one with the flat bar transfer, is it possible to change to the gear reduction starters? I'm assuming I'm going to need a tooth count on my old starter, but the mounting should be standard. Are the gear reduction starters "clockable" to mounting locations, like the multiposition delcos where you just unbolt and turn the nose cone?

Replies1
  1. #1Delmer2021-03-08 22:11

    I don't believe they are clock able, the nose is one piece with the solenoid mount. From what I've read, Mahle/Iskra/Letrika are all the same company in Eastern Europe and produce the best value gear reduction starters, not the cheapest, you know where to get the cheapest. Find the number of the one you have, cross it to the Mahle part number and the Mahle catalog will usually have a note "recommend #xxxx gear reduction starter for this application". Then you just have to find if that's available in the US or if you want to wait for shipping from Latvia or wherever.