Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Allis Chalmers D15 auction buy

wlhequipment · 2021-11-08 17:36

So I bought something. A 1960 (or maybe ‘61) Allis Chalmers D15 Industrial. I got it cheap at an auction, and I’m bringing it back to life. I don’t know if I’m gonna keep it or sell it honestly. Here’s progress so far:

Replies8
  1. #1Ben House2021-11-08 21:52

    Nice. Quite a project you have there, I look forward to seeing the rest of it. Are you planning on finding a backhoe for it?

  2. #2wlhequipment2021-11-08 23:52

    I’d love to, but they’re kind of a unicorn. I’ll just have to keep an eye on the auctions.

  3. #3DMiller2021-11-09 06:06

    Parts are the issue on the Industrial Versions, not a true D15 but a 160 or 1600, differences include shuttle shift instead of power director, some did not have live PTO, gear train is odd to the industrial series. Engine had minor variations to farm tractor engines.

  4. #4wlhequipment2021-11-09 07:42

    that’s what someone on another forum suggested, but it’s a D15. The i60 and i600 had one piece hoods. D15 has 2 piece. The serial number for i60 starts with “i60” then goes from 1005 -2340. Mine is “D15-4781”, which makes it a ‘61. They then suggested that someone swapped in a torque housing from a D15. I pointed out that’s where the shuttle shifter lives, so that can’t be. We tried a few other details that didn’t reach a conclusion, so we just decided it was a D15 with a shuttle shift.

  5. #5wlhequipment2021-11-09 11:13

    It was too nice a weekend not to get 'er running! My video processing is a bit delayed

  6. #6DMiller2021-11-09 17:57

    Could be the factory had more industrial orders and commandeered a farm frame, seen that before.

  7. #7wlhequipment2021-11-13 19:34

    At least it moves under it’s own power now.

  8. #8DMiller2021-11-14 07:13

    You have Calcium Filled tubes, need to drain those off, clean and prime the wheels after repair the valve stem area and any deep corrosion internally then replace the tubes then refill with Methanol (WS WASH Fluid ballast, available from most tire sales shops. Takes a special valve stem tool but again are available at most smaller tire shops.