Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Allis Chalmers Dozer

tractormech ยท 2021-10-28 17:20

Hello all- have a question/ need advice/direction. This guy I know has an old Allis Chalmers HD21-P dozer. About like a D7. The turbo started making noise and although there's really very little play in the impeller shaft it started making a high shrill noise. It has been sitting up but it was idling for about 20 minutes with no noise. The turbo has an Allis Chalmers part number on it 4394363 and below that a KH 0189 and then a T1818. The tractor is about a 1965. My question is this-it has an AC engine in it. Are there any parts available to R and R the turbo? Gaskets and such. There's an exhaust housing that's right in the end of the turbo and I'm sure there's seal rings or packing or......? that has to be replaced when remounting the turbo. Also, is there anyone who repairs these turbos? Parts for it is what scares me. Maybe a good used turbo if all the mounting gaskets can be obtained. This thing is old and obsolete with no dealer support available so I'm concerned. I don't want him to waste money on a lost cause. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies11
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-10-28 19:33

    https://www.spencerdiesel.com/product/?part=SDT404760-0021&mfg=ACI&model=460

  2. #2tractormech2021-10-28 19:45

    Thank you! I'll get in touch with them.

  3. #3epirbalex2021-10-30 19:18

    https://contractormag.co.nz/classic-machines/allis-chalmers/hd-21-tractor Lot bigger than a D7 , as powerful or more than D8 h's . I;ve only seen one , kitted out for bush work . It was a monster .

  4. #4thepumpguysc2021-10-31 00:54

    Most rebuilt turbos come w exhaust and oil gaskets.. Btw, the turbo is squealing because of no oil.. If u decide to get a new or reman, u need to pull the stop or disconnect the shut off solenoid and crank the engine until oil is AT THE TURBO... THEN, hook up the lines.. Good luck

  5. #5DMiller2021-10-31 06:31

    A great deal of the old Allis turbos have been long discontinued, found that with my 7G loader, Some ag equipment continued to use Air Research turbos that would interchange to HE models. Parts are at misery low levels for much of Allis machines these days.

  6. #6tractormech2021-10-31 11:37

    Yes Sir you are right. But what has me concerned is there's a heavy cast 90 degree elbow shoved in the end of the turbo that's bolted down solid (of course) and the exhaust pipe pushes down over it. I have no idea how that seals up and I'm really worried I won't be able to get the steel seal rings or whatever they used to make the connection. I didn't want to touch it if the parts to put it back together aren't available any more. That's my biggest concern. He has a parts book so maybe that will help hunt parts. I'm almost scared to touch it.

  7. #7tractormech2021-10-31 11:45

    Yes Sir that is for sure the truth. I put a steering brake drum in it a few years ago. I had to scrounge boneyards to find a used one. This stuff is practically beyond obsolete. Any breakdown can be fatal. A 55 year old tractor with NO dealers or parts support to speak of and a fast dwindling used parts supply is a juggling act to keep running. I think the steering pump may be going out. That may be the end of the old girl. We'll see. I hope not.

  8. #81693TA2021-10-31 12:03

    Look anything like this? I have an old Mack truck and it uses the elbow shoved into the turbo setup. I used an asbestos cord I'd purchased from Mcmaster-Carr out of Chicago to assemble this back together but it was a "force fit" being careful to not break anything.

  9. #9tractormech2021-10-31 22:19

    I believe it does. I'll have to check on that cord. Thank you so much!

  10. #101693TA2021-11-01 07:46

    My Mack had two metal sealing rings that were kind of a mimic to piston rings. Both were broken from age. The beveled edge of the turbocharger casting compressed them slightly as the elbow was forced into the turbine housing. That asbestos cord I mentioned is kind of like an old rear main seal in an antique engine and very soft so I lubed it up well with petroleum jelly just prior to clamping it down with a wide band "Torq-Tite" hose clamp to compress the cord. I then slid it into the housing through the clamping action holding the cord compressed. It took a bit of force via a plastic faced hammer while the turbocharger was still mounted to the engine but it did slide in, and bolted up. No leaks so far. This is the replacement for what I used from Mcmaster: They no longer seem to carry "asbestos" containing products; imagine that.

  11. #11tractormech2021-11-01 11:04

    I thank you for the information. I may wind up not needing it. He went out there and cranked it up and put oil in the transmission and moved it and said it didn't make any noise. So take that for what it's worth. I wanted to check it before it was cranked again so I guess that's out the window. It is what it is. Again, I sincerely appreciate the information.