I am in central Alabama bought an Allis Chalmers HD7G not sure of year the serial plate is behind counterweight, it is a 4 cylinder turbo. Everything was working great then something came apart in transmission. So I am looking for a transmission or I am thinking of parting out. Motor, hydraulics work great I hate to run it across scales. The bucket is the multipurpose I have video just can not download. If anyone knows someone in central al that deals in AC I would appreciate the information
Try these guys, they're good to deal with and they have one they're dismantling: http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...ID=3&Manu=ALLIS-CHALMERS&Mdltxt=7G&mdlx=exact Hope you get it going.
I have some HD7G used transmission parts but no complet one
Thanks I will check them out
I was always buying bits and pieces to keep mine running/moving. I went the next alternate route and bought a tractor not running for my spare parts especially the transmission which mine is slowly dying. A good determiner for year range on yours is the type air cleaner it has, the later units used a square dry filter mounted in front of the operator, earlier units had a round housing under hood with a snorkel thru the hood. That model change is around unit s/n 23003 with the next big change around 24080 with converters/transmissions.
The air cleaner is round plastic, it is one of those deals the machine is in too good of shape to scrap / scale for scrap. hopefully I can find a good trans for a reasonable price or at least the parts once I get it apart. Solid unit hate to see it be scrapped.
You have a early unit, look on the top left side of the trans when you pull the floor pans while seated in the seat area and see if it has a device bolted to the trans ear, that will be a speed governor, check all your linkages to this and the rest of the controls. Before you pull the trans, remove the panel under the seat under the steering valve control, drain the final oils and inspect the bevel gear/drive pinion as you may have lost the final and not the transmission. There is also the off chance you lost the transmission pump at the right rear of the torque converter housing if you lost all gears at once, if it locked up or just failed you will have no oil pressure to the trans to shift it. As a final inspection pull all the steering and the trans filters/screens, look for debris that will tell you what did fail so it can be cleared before installing and trashing another trans.
Thanks for the info, I pulled the transmission screen and I found metal pieces there along with what looks like a bearing race pieces. there are little rollers I am assuming that came out of a bearing. It has clutch pressure and trans pressure when it is on and it pulls in reverse. It showed no signs of any trans issues until all at once pulled great and pushed great.
Must have dropped a shaft bearing and locked engaged for a bit, may be able to open the trans up and repair if the clutches were operating well before. May want to try that first even as it will take a little longer.
can I do that with trans in machine?
You might also try John Parks at General Gear. His website is www.tractorparts.com , and he is VERY knowledgeable. If he doesn't have one I'm sure he'll be able to help find you one... Good luck!
Thanks I will look them up
Willie at Chartrand Equipment in Redbud Illinois has a full trans but no idea the internal conditions offered it to me for $500 a year ago(not including shipping). He may or should still have it and did have a pair of 7G's in the yard last count.
Thanks I will check
Just saw the other post, the trans will have to come out, this as the entire face plate is the shaft retainers and the pinion for the bevel gear comes in from the back side. There are fitup specs that will need to be checked if just a bearing failure and it can be repaired not replaced. MINNPAR in Minneapolis has some pieces for these, many of the gaskets and seals are no longer available thru them.
Found a trans for $3000.00 not sure what I am going to do.
Found trans the company want $3000.00 I am not sure what I am going to do I will keep you posted I wish someone had a good trans that needs a good loader for it to go in
Have you checked over on the allis forum?? ( http://www.allischalmers.com ) Someone there may know of one. Andrew
I have looked there a hydraulic company that builds cylinders said they would look at it if I got it to them no promises, it is great shape just broke a bearing in trans I just hate to see it go to scrap but no way I would pay 3000 for a trans
Just read the thread over again. It sounds like a bearing problem. If a trans is $3000, I'd be REALLY tempted to pull yours out and open 'er up. A few bearings and seals and you're back in the game. Do you have a parts book for the 7G? Andrew
That is the plan at present then I can see if anything else is messed up then go from there
After checking into the parts available I am afraid that if there are other parts damaged they may not be available. I really hate it because this is a solid track loader the tracks have been built up the bucket bushings redone, the sprockets look very go and the bottom rollers look like they were replaced. I have placed it for sale with pictures on the sale page if I could find someone that was interested and had a transmission this would be a good project. My work hours just does not allow a lot of time to spend on it.