I joined this forum recently to find some help on a CAT 955L that I had purchased, but I thought I could share some of my other equipment. I have an old Allis Chalmers D that was my Dad's. He bought it rough, but running. He never did like the thing, but it NEVER ran right. I had torn the head off years ago to find the miss that never was consistent. I had the head redone, thinking that it was a burnt valve, but the problem was always there. Compression was good and consistent. It was always parked outside, and I had to change the oil every time I wanted to try and fix it (way back in my teens). I cannot believe how much water I dumped out of the pan every time... (Hard to believe the bearings were not completely washed out.) The machine was parked for quite a while. I finally decided to try again at getting it going. The manifold was good, so I tried a different carb. I went to a old-time bone yard and got a carb off of a WD45. The carb was rough, but I was able to get it built. I slapped that thing on there and I could not believe the difference!!! I rebuilt that old carb countless times and always the same. This completely changed my outlook on this machine. It could actually drive in 3rd gear. It FLEW in fourth! I used it a few times and grew to enjoy it. Dad was not interested in it, so it really never got used much. He passed away a few years ago, and after he died, my brother and I got the wild hair to see what we could do with it. It was shortly after he died, we cleaned up the shop a bit, and we commenced to shine the old gal back up. It was nice to come back home and turn wrenches a few evenings a week. Kinda therapeutic. Here are some of the pictures of the process. It was an adventure, but we were proud of it when it was done.
Nice resto job. Looks great
Cool grader! are you going to build a ROPS for it?
Honestly, I never thought about one, but it would be nice to have a canopy for a little shade! The machine does not get exercised all that often, but it is handy this fall for reshaping some field waterways. My wife and I are getting ready to build close to the farm where I grew up, and I have been using it to shape our yard and driveway. Sounds a little much, but our drive is about 1/8 of a mile long. We lived in town for 5 years, and the neighborhood probably would not have approved of me running around with a backhoe digging holes for fun
Don't put a ROPS on it. It's too nice. Leave it original. Great looking!
I am thinking about getting the old Allis out today. We have some good snow fall and I might have to try it out on rolling some snow off of the campground. Tractor and blade may be a little quicker, but this is easier on the gravel. And its fun to run Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Well... I found out that I need some chains! But it did do great when I had traction. A little chilly though, but it would roll the snow! Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Yeah throw a set of chains on and she should walk rite though it. Great job on the restoration kb9tci ! Does the Grader use the same 226 engine as the Allis WD-45 tractor ?
Hi!! Congratulations on the outstanding job restoring that old boy and giving it his pride back!! Awesome job!! You got yourself a nice collectible item. One good thing with those old Allis Chalmers graders is that so many were built over such a long period of time that you'll never have any problems finding spare parts. Really Nice!! Max.
Beautiful job bring the old critter back like that. Those grader tires are about less than useful on snow at best. .learned that on an old Galion. But in hilly country, they can make for some interesting rides downhill in snow and ice.
I think it is the same engine. I'm not 100% sure, but I have always assumed as much and was always told it was the same. I need to run some numbers and check sometime. It has been a stout little engine since I put a WD-45 carb on it!
It can get a little interesting. I had my brother on standby and had to have his assistance a few times when I couldn't get going. Gave it a nudge with the backhoe and off I went. I had to swap off tires and modify my rims to run traction tires off a truck. It had 7.50-20 grader tires, but they were beyond shot. I slotted the valve stem holes and put 8.25-20 truck tires on it. They fit fine, but it does not leave much room for chains. That was a heck of an ordeal getting those rims off the machine. Rusted on was an understatement. If I did not have a hoe, they would still be on there... One rim was flat out junk. I lucked out by talking to an old iron peddler, and friend of the family. He told me that I could find rims off an old Gleaner combine and cut out the centers to replace the bad rim. He even had a pair. I bought both. I was quite skeptical, but the old man was spot on! I don't even know which rim I changed after they were painted and mounted. I have a set of 6 almost new-looking military style tires I picked up on a sale that I have ready to swap out if I get ambitious... Now to find a set of chains!
It sure looks like a WD engine . We have a 1953 WD-45. Pretty good puller with a snappy governor. I also found a picture of a D grader with a cab. My scan is not the best . Dad was at an Allis- Chalmers meet and spotted a WD grader.
I can't quite read that scan. Does it say the engine size? I have read on other forums that it is the G-226 engine. I am on my phone right now. I will have to look on the computer later to see if I can read that sheet. I'd love to know what it says! That cab would have sure been nice, but I will give the old beast credit, since it fired right up at 0F. That WD grader might be a little easier to turn around! That is the one thing that this grader struggles with. One will build some upper body strength after a few times in the seat.
Yeah sorry kb9tci about the scan. It came from a book titled www.barneandnoble.com/w/allis-chalmers-story-charls-h-wendel/1000064935?ean=9780879388287 Great book for any Allis fan. It stated the D model was built from 1949 to 1965 and used the G- 226 for the gas engine. Yes.... They start great in cold weather. We also have a 1973 Allis Chalmers 170 tractor that uses the 226 gas. Both it and the WD will fire rite up in the cold stuff. Another random thought...... An older model combine cab might not be to bad to adapt to the Allis D-grader?
Nice restoration job. In the first picture it looks as if the serial number plate is there. If you post the serial number I can tell you what year it is. It will have the G226 engine and depending on year it will either be the same as a WD45 or D17 engine. I could be the older one as the starter appears to be on the top of the bell housing. Mine is a 1959 and has the starter on the left side beside the engine. The wheels also appear to be drop centre style as opposed to the flat rims with the snap ring. They are great little machine but mine is very much in it's working clothes and I have added power steering and a foot controlled throttle to make it more user friendly to operate.
Model D grader, My dad started up in earthmoving in New Zealand in 1947. His first new machine was an A-C Model D grader. He only ran it for about 12 months before selling it off to a Speedway Association for track maintenance. I believe it was either a problem machine or possibly under powered for the task intended. The replacement was a Cat N#10 which he ran for a number of years. The same year he purchased a new M-D TD-9 bulldozer, so things must have been going pretty well as the following year he bought a new Ford 4 yard tip truck. Best regards, dozeron.
I finally made it over to look at the serial number plate this morning. Here is a picture of it. Does anybody know how to find out what year it is? It says D-1982
That makes it a 1952 model. my information shows that 1200 were made that year.
Thanks, DonBC! I've always wondered. Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
I concur with DonBC. My book also has the 1982 serial number built in 1952. You sure have the D grader looking good kb9tic. 1950's era equipment is my favorite. Built to stand the test of time.
I seem to enjoy working on that era equipment as well. My family used to have an old HD5-B straight blade that was a late 40s model. Ended up selling it to my Father-in-law and he finished wearing the tracks out. I was looking all over for undercarriage parts and ended up finding one parted out south of Louisville KY 100 miles. We just about went for it, and I ended up buying an entire running machine with an awesome undercarriage for less than the tracks and rollers from the junkyard! Not to mention that it was MUCH closer. We have not brought it home yet, but we are planning on picking it up on Groundhog day. I will be tackling it as soon as the 955L is out of the shop. I will have to start a thread for it, too. The sad part is, I think the '52 model parts machine is in better shape!
kb9ci, I was on the other thread where I saw the address for this thread. I thought I would check out your restoration. Such a good looking job. I am disciplining myself to only clean and paint what needs fixing. When I get my Galion in good working order, then I can think about painting her. The hydraulics have been rebuilt and I am in the process of tightening up all her "joints". I need tires but finances are not right yet and tires are expensive! Are you finished restoring, except for power steering?
So far, it's only Armstrong steering. Not really thought about changing it. It has been wearing its work clothes for a few seasons now. It's been reshaping a sod runway and helping restructure the hillside around our new house. I did finally take it to a show this last year. Actually,, my family's airport & restaurant location is now the home of a new and rapidly growing AC tractor and equipment club, so we brought up the grader to show off. It did get a few looks, especially when shaping the tractor pulling track!
Sounds like great fun, shaping the runway and track. Do you pull a drag behind you to cover you tire tracks? Are you the inspiration starting the club? Are you in a well populated area to support club or must people travel distance?
The ground around here is pretty much clay, so the ground will shine pretty easily. Not a lot of tire tracks to worry about (and not that particular) 2014 was the first year of the club, and I was not behind the founding of it (not my color of choice). I am more of an Oliver guy, myself. A great group of people got together and started the club and came to us about a home for the club. It has been a great venture for the for all of us, and the turnout was fantastic for the show. There were people from adjoining states as well as farther distances make the journey to the middle of the sticks to play and check out all the equipment. The grounds were a bit wet for the tractor pull, but still a good run. I'm looking forward to what next year brings!
[QUOTE=kb9tci 2014 was the first year of the club, and I was not behind the founding of it (not my color of choice). I am more of an Oliver guy, myself. Oliver guy?! That's a surprise! Your avatar had me thinking you were solid AC orange! Amusing. A couple of weeks ago I began to wonder about the meaning of "avatar". The dictionary indicated that an avatar is a representation of who we are. So you are really a mean green machine (Oliver)? I am a Galion guy just because that is the grader I found at a good price two years ago. So the engine and trans are IH red and I am not sure of the exact Galion color. Right now Ole Gal has layers of green, yellow and orange with a lot of brown (rust).
What did you use for a power steering unit? Pictures?
Nice Job, Has to be nice to restore a bit of family history with your brother. ..
I assume that you are referring to me as I had mentioned that I had retrofitted power steering to my grader. When they first introduced power steering to the D graders they used a system that mounted on the steering shaft from the steering wheel. This was a system that was also used when a power steering option was first made available to farm tractors and these systems are still available. My concern with that system after knowing the force required to steer the grader manually that adding hydraulic power to the input of the steering box could shorten the life of the steering box. One grader that I saw took a steering box with integral power steering from a Ford pickup truck and mounted it in place of the grader's steering box. About the time that the D grader became the M65 grader they switch to a fully hydraulic system with the steering wheel mounted on a rotary control valve controlling a hydraulic cylinder on the steering axle. I have seen a couple of D graders converted that way. The system that I used maintained the mechanical linkage to the front axle but has a control valve mounted on the drag link between the arm on the steering box and the front axle. This control valve controls a hydraulic cylinder mounted between the front axle and the tie rod to assist the steering. This system is effective enough that my 3 year old granddaughter could steer the front axle lock to lock with the grader sitting still and the engine idling. Some retrofitted systems took their hydraulic source from the grader's hydraulic system. I was told that this didn't work all that well. I, as well as others, mounted an independent power steering pump with better success. I moved my main pump to drive off the end of the crankshaft as I had trouble keeping the belts from slipping so I mounted my power steering pump were the old pump had been. I source my parts from a farm equipment salvage yard. Self propelled combines are a good source of parts for the pure hydraulic systems and the power assist systems.
Old gal is still chugging along.
Great to see your grader working, you have made a good job on your grader