As graders go,how big is a 777 wabco 29000lbs.I have one,that I'm working on restoring to good working condition.It has been upgraded to 300hp,and has oversize rubber,also is a newer one,with tork converter.what size newer machines are in that size group?
A 16M is 300 to 337 hp and would weigh twice as much. Your probably going to spin the wheels real easy.
Be VERY careful with that extra power! I have a 666 that the previous owner sheared the splines right off the axle at one time. They are impossible to find these days and they just welded them up and cut new splines in. So far it's holding up well but I am very careful about spinning tires and as an added precaution I will not put tire chains on it unless it's absolutely necessary... One of these days I hope to restore mine as well, but that's still a long ways off in the future. What engine does yours have, the Cummins or Detroit?
Thanks for the reply,I've been looking for some spare axles.Mine is a Detroit,it was blown when I bought it,I replaced it with a 671 turbo out of a OTR truck.
Nice! Does it have a jake in it too? That'd be cool when you're roading it... You can try John Parks at www.tractorparts.com , he may have an axle kicking around, he's very knowledgeable and has given me great advice about my machine!
There is an Adams with a Detroit living about ten miles from me that will never run again.Im going to get a look see if there the same!
Even if it's a 666 most parts interchange from what I understand....
I had a Adams with a cummins in it, don't know what year it was, chain drive coupling on injection pump with locked up motor, drug it around with the A35C till it broke loose and then we graded roadway a couple times. It was not hydraulic and it would bite REAL hard when using about every function, no brakes, I finally sent it for scrap before I ended up with wrist problems.
The Main reason the axles break are that Wabco used the same axles on all their graders. Another thing to check for is water in the chain cases, if the gaskets are poor on the inspection covers water, salt etc can get in inside & damage the axle brgs as was the case in Spitzairs triple 6, 1 other thing that break these axles is shockloading, happens when snow plowing at High speed hitting a manhole cover with chains on all 4 tires, hard on the guts too !
Mention "knuckle buster" to an old grader man and he will say "dam wabcos" I have converted most functions on mine to hydraulic motors.