I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if this is the wrong area I apologize. This is my Allis Chalmers WD45 that has been reversed and has a Farmhand F11 loader on it. This is a very handy machine, the steering axle is out of a International 915 combine and it has the steering valve out of the combine also. I am planning on painting it this winter, I will post more picture when I get it finished. Thanks, Coyote Green
You should send those pics to "Farm Show" magazine. How high will it reach?
Ingenious, what you putting on there for operator safety? Phil
Like Phil said "Ingenious". But it looks like a really bad accident perhaps even a death waiting to happen to the operator.
I am planing on building a crash cab for it but I haven't had the time or metal to do it yet, I would like to build one were I could enclose it for the winter for moving snow. I am also thinking about putting a seat belt in it so the operator can't be thrown out. I have thought about sending it in to farm show, maybe I will do that this week! I haven't measured the height but when I bought it the guy said it lifts 20 feet! I do know it lifts up to the top of the power poll but I don't know how high that is? Thanks for the replies, Coyote Green
I would not use a seat belt. When the hay bale rolls off backward, I would want to make a quick exit. Please do make yourself a hard roof.
Death, looking for a place to happen. My best friends dad is a paraplegic due to a mishap with a loader similar to this. Do not use this until you have some kind of substantial cab protecting the operator. If you are not an experienced fabricator have someone that is inspect what you plan to build and check the finished product. I am not trying to discourage you, that looks cool but it is not complete and it is not safe to use yet .
On second thought do not worry about the seat belt or hardened cab. Just sick it into the power line. Its a lot quicker and will work most every time.
Looks like an interesting project Burns-Tractors.I like the farmhand loader.Farmhand made some of the bigger loaders back in the 1960's.Like Mitch504 said you should send it to Farm Show magazine.Did you add a hudraulic pump to run the loader ,I thought I noticed a hyd reservior on the rear.Evcellent work Burns taking different parts To fabricate something usefull.
It has a added hydraulic pump on the rear that runs the loader and the steering. I need to put in a regulator for the steering because it is running at the same presser as the loader and if I steer to sharp I blow out the seals in the steering valve. I am going to send it in to farm show I but I haven't got that far yet, keep a look out you never know when you will see it in there.
tippy ? I would find four 8 bolt combine wheels/tires and have duals on the drives. The wider the machines stance, the better . You probably won't always operate on smooth .level ground. Looks tippy to me.
It is a lot more stable then it looks, it is 7 1/2' wide and I could widen the steering axle some more. I was going to replace the drive wheels with combine wheels but with the loader on it they don't fit, I am never on any inclines or slopes, I have a Case Industrial with loader and I use it on slopes. I never raise the loader up to it's full height, I only raise it up that high when I take a picture or if I am lifting something with a chain. Thanks for the reply
Allis actually made a machine like that, it was a WD45 turned around backwards, i had a freind that had one....it's been several years ago and I dont remember much about it tho Pj
I know Allis Chalmers made a forklift that looked like a reversed WD45, there is one in a nearby town.
My grandfather had a WD or WD45 that was turned this way. He sent the tractor from Minnesota to some place out in Kansas back in the 60s to have the conversion done. He put a Koyker K5 loader on his though. His tractor remained narrow front in the rear, had massive weight in the back, and had tires chains on the drives for probably 20 years, and yes, they were worn flat. If I remember correctly, his steering unit came off a Case combine because he actually had a steering console, all hydraulic of course. You did not enter it from the front as you do with your's due to the loader frame, rather entered from the back and from the side. It was a daily user and simply a beast to clean out the cattle feedlots and also push snow around. He nor I ever had an accident with it, nor even a close call, probably because we didn't use it like the big farm tractor loader. It was the mid-range loader beings we had a small skid steer to get into the smaller barns and then the 986 loader to do the big jobs. The tractor was great but after 30+ years of daily service, it didn't look like much when it got sold at his estate auction. I will try to look around to try to find picutres of the machine. Pretty cool if you ask me.