Was looking at hd6 dozer today,serial no. is 20784,can any one tell me what year model this would be? thanks
I think the HD6 was built from 1955 to about 1965 sorry I can't be of more help. I'll look at some of manuals and see if I can get a little closer for ya.
Here's a little something I think may be of interest on the HD6. Allis Chalmers HD6 General tractor information: Manufacturer: Allis Chalmers Model: HD6 Years produced: 1955 - 1965 Total built: Factory: Springfield, IL Original price: Tractor power: Drawbar (rated): 39 hp [29.1 kW] Drawbar (max): 50 hp [37.3 kW] Belt: 54 hp [40.3 kW] Engine: Manufacturer: Allis-Chalmers Fuel: diesel Type: vertical I-head Cylinders: 4 Bore/Stroke: 4.4375x5.5626 inches [113 x 141 mm] Displacement: 344 ci [5.6 L] Compression: 15.0:1 Rated RPMs: 1800 Cooling: Torque: Firing order: Engine: Manufacturer: Allis-Chalmers Fuel: diesel Aspiration: turbo Type: vertical I-head Cylinders: 4 Bore/Stroke: 4.4375x5.5626 inches [113 x 141 mm] Displacement: 344 ci [5.6 L] Compression: 16.25:1 Rated RPMs: 1800 Cooling: Torque: Firing order: Comments: Turbocharged version available on the HD6AG, produced 90HP Transmission: Type: sliding gear Forward: 5 Reverse: 1 Mechanical: MFWD: crawler Steering: Brakes: Capacity: Fuel: 37 gal [140 L] Coolant: 15 qts [14 L] Power Take-off (PTO): Tires: Ag front: tracks Ag rear: tracks Dimensions: Weight: 13,400 lbs [6078 kg] Wheelbase: Length: 127 inches [322 cm] Width: Height: 66 inches [167 cm] Ground clearance: Electrical: Ground: Starter volts: 24 Battery: Number: 2 Cold-cranking amps: Volts: 12 Nebraska Tractor Test 552: Test Date: July 1956 Engine: Belt (max): 60.5 hp [45.1 kW] Drawbar (max): 50 hp [37.3 kW]
hd6 Thanks,this machine has a turbo and power shift,i was told it was a 1980 model.I think it might be considerably older.
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I did find out the serial # show's it was built after 1961. I found a manual that stated it was for HD6's 1961+, serial#'s 13322 and up. Wrenchbender, in your manual did it show any other HD6's, perhaps with other suffixes (HD6A, HD6B, etc.) being built after 1965? I'd looked at a HD6 once. The owner said it had a Buda diesel in it. I thought I'd found it was a 1966 somehow, but if they weren't built after 1965 that doesn't make sense. I don't remeber where I'd gotton my info, so it may easily be wrong. I was under the impression some HD6's had Detroit's too, but again, not positive. I'm not up on Allis Chalmers dozers at all, but my gut feeling was it was a pretty decent machine, considering it's age. Would've been a nice size for my uses. I'd not heard much bad about them when I was looking at the HD6, other than possible problems locating parts for it. Good luck with it nawsd.
Jeff that's the only info listed that I have. I'm not sure about those suffixes they may be outside of the regular production dates. So please don't take my other post as being the only info ya need.
year of build that sn was built in 1967 they started that year with 20304 and ended with 20808 that was a very common machine in our area and dealership we sold a ton of them
hd6 Thanks dirthog and all else who responded.I didn`t think this machine was a 1980 model.
Hd6 Hi Nawsd. That s/n should have read in full HD6EP 20748, is that right ? Interesting about it being turbocharged, I know they never came out standard like that ? It should run quite good. Allis Chalmers made a total of 25271 HD6,s from 1955 to 1974 in A .B .E .EP . and G versions They originally had Buda engines but changed to the new direct injection Allis Chalmers 6000 series engines at s/n 13322. Dirthog if you worked for a dealer, Id be interested on what your thoughts were on them. Thanks Merv
I don't know anything about the dozers but if they ran the same engines as the loaders, The late model HD 6 and HD 7 ran the same engine. The only diference was the turbo and fueling. Easy swap with possible cooling issues as the 7 was marginal even with bigger radiator.
hd6 Thanks all for the info.This machine has got too many ailments,i will just keep looking.
A friend of mine has an HD6G trackloader and its got a 2-71 detroit in it.
Dad bought his first HD6 around 1959 or so. That machine was at least a couple of years old and it had the 4 cyl. ex Buda engine. Sometime back in that time period Allis and Detroit got into a snit and Allis bought out Buda and quit using Detroits when they could. The early HD6 looked a lot closer to the HD5 than the latter machines. I didn't know they had ever put the 2-71 in it.
Maybe its an HD5 then i cant quite remember. So the detroit powered AC's are the oldest ones then?
Allis engines The HD 5 had a 2-71,HD7 a 3-71, HD 9&10 a4-71, the HD 14,15 & 19 had the 6-71 and the HD20 came with the 6-110 engine.
Komatsu 150, I've not seen a HD5, but have earlier HD7's. Were the early hd6's similairly designed to the HD7 at all, with the arms that lift the blade, etc., like the one in this pic?:
We never had any dozers just loaders. I've never seen a machine like the one in the link. The local Allis Chalmers dealer made their business selling lots of HD5s in the fifties when Cat's smaller loader still had a mast and cable dump. The picture is an HD6 I found on the web. It's a pretty old machine, late fifties early sixties I think and it's hydraulic. I ran our last HD6G for years (maybe 10 !). We put an HD7G bucket on it which it handled with no problem and it had a ripper. The bucket pinned on with no modifications. It was a terrific machine, just about bullet proof, but too darned slow for today's production work. We ran the last set of tracks out and it got sold. Last I heard it was still being used by the company I sold it to. They put tracks on it and put it in their subdivision to load topsoil and such.
There was a old man round here that was a friend of the family who was a logger he had a HD 19 A/C Dozer it had a 671 in it it sounded like my granddad's lowboy truck but only w/ a blade in the woods pushing & pulling logs out later Bulldog
Dirthog had mentioned the existance of an AC HD41 dozer in an earlier thread. I sure gotta wonder what kind of monster that thing was ............atleast back in the day? Being it's 20 #'s bigger than an HD21, it must be just HUGE !!
I remember it being a really big deal when it came out. AC had a dozer bigger than Cat, although I would think there was something bigger out there from somebody but back then Cat and AC were really in competition. Somewhere Dad has a picture of himself and a bunch of guys standing in front of the blade at heavy equipment show in Chicago.
Hello I have a HD6 EP Hydro Trans The number on the back of the transmission housing is 88Y24867 The Dozer mover forward and backwards then froze. Dose the Hydraulic pump control the trans or is their a converter inside the housing? It seems to be over filled with Transmission fluid is this a sine of the screen is possibly block not letting the flow of fluid to the pump making the clutches stick. The fluid is what make the clutches open which makes the machine work right? Also the Where is the the screen located ? If their is clutch problem will the fluid smell burnt! Dip stick is under the seat and look to be over full would this make it not move ?? Any Ides on the diagram, Clutches, and pump ? Do they sell parts to fix these and where ? Also parts for the main converter pump ?This was the future design for New Holland Dozer and Hitachi Dozer seems that they should have part available! Any one have idea on where I could get a ripper or winch set up and how to make a third valve for it ?
Hi I'm new here, this question is not on Allis,,,,, But I was wondering if anyone knows whether a 1988 Cat3406 turbo would fit in a CatD7G that is missing the engine? the 3406 only has about 670 hrs I apologise for busting up the thread but I cant post any thread untill I have gone through the hazing proceedure thank you
if you dont mind i would like to ask a question about an hd6 i recently purchased i bought an hd6 this wiinter and the left foot pedal is stuck to the floor i cannot roll the machine,so am assuming it is a brake?also what are the two levers that are behind my feet on the floor on either side of the seat?
I don't know for sure, but those levers you are talking about could be for locking the brake on either side. Check the left one see if when you hold the brake pedal down you can wiggle that lever and the brake will come loose. FWD
A fellow in Castleton VT has one. I haven't seen it yet. He's very taken with its function, and has done a lot with restoration, including undercarriage, engine, seals all over the place, and paint. He is into snowmobile trail work, and since the great flood of 2012 he's been very busy.
ty for that info have already tried that guess i will have to go into the trans housing and see what it actually does
I own manuals for all my machines. They aren't much good if I can't fix them.
i just bought it will get a manual off ebay as soon as i find one,i have repaired many small dozers like these and smaller,the manual for this one seems to be eluding me,was hoping for a quick note on what could get that left foot pedal loose as i believe it could be the clutch....
Help with brake stuck on an hd6 The rod that holds the brake on is not even in the slot and the brake pedal is stuck to the floor, please guys i am no dummy to big equipment, and this thing is on private property and i may lose it if i have to tear it totally down, if there is a simple solution i would like very much to hear it :O ointhead