Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D4H, need a little input

Alan ยท 2007-08-28 11:12

Next week I may need to get in a little seat time doing some grading with a D4H Series 3. Never been so much as close to one! I've got a fair dose of seat time on various Deere 450s, Case 450-850-1150 and one lonely Cat D3 Hystat. It's going to be a question of necessity, the machine is on a project and it's looking like I may be the only one there who has any dozer time at all. What's the drivetrain/control layout on this one? It would be nice if I could at least manage to start and stop the engine and make a few basic moves while I'm figuring it out.

Replies1
  1. #1Prep2007-08-28 14:41

    Alan, Should be no proplem at all. The control layout places the blade in your right hand and your left hand controls the transmission (3 speeds forward and 3 speeds reverse in a "U" shaped pattern).Your steerring is also with your left hand (2 Levers next to each other). The floor has a foot rest , a brake (center pedal) and a decelerator. Imho the high track 4's and 5's are good finish grade machines with excellent visiblity to the blade. You may find the blade to be a little slower to respond the the D3 that you had mentioned. The master switch and the dip stick for the transmission are in the compartment above the sprocket. Good luck and good dozing to you!