Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Allison 3340 trans

mog5858 ยท 2019-11-30 21:14

I working on my 3340 CT out of my S7 scraper. when I tight down the end bearing support as the book said I get .050 gap but the trans is bond up I can turn it but with the help of a strap wrench but very tight and over twice what the book said. where should I look for my stack up error?? I know this is a vague question but this projet is getting old and help I take it.

Replies4
  1. #1RZucker2019-12-01 14:14

    I don't have any experience with 3300's, but I would study the cross section view in the manual and see what may be out of position. Can you tell by the feel if it's plates dragging or pressure on a bearing? I put a clutch piston in a 6061 backwards once and it made the plates drag, lucky I found it before it went back in the machine by doing the turn test.

  2. #2mog58582019-12-02 19:17

    thanks, I ended up just taking all apart Sunday and staring back a square one didn't find anything that I had put in the wrong spot. things went back together way faster the second time. I just got to reassemble the torque converter and then I guess we see if I know what I was doing.

  3. #356wrench2019-12-02 23:00

    I assume you pre-soaked all the friction discs with atf? one of the common causes of excessive drag or binding besides components installed backwards is a thrust washer somewhere that is not seated properly

  4. #4mog58582020-01-01 12:18

    thanks for the help all the frictions where used so they were still wet. everything is back together now just have to reinstall in the machine now.