Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat symbols

partsandservice · 2019-11-30 11:21

Can any of you CAT gurus tell what this symbol is?

Replies25
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-11-30 12:39

    Pic is upside down.?? Do u have a "thumb" on the machine.?? How about steering wheel alignment.??

  2. #2Danny L. Thomas2019-11-30 12:45

    On page 20 of 82 of this list, https://www.numeralkod.com/cross/symbology.pdf , it says grapple basic g00695237

  3. #3partsandservice2019-11-30 13:18

    Thanks for the link! So it is a grapple skidder and thought that might be what is was. Crazy issue going on ,will go into when I get back to machine and have the serial number.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2019-11-30 13:20

    It could also be the hieroglyphic that states "nobody has learned to read anymore so we will just print pictures on everything"

  5. #5JD955SC2019-11-30 14:45

    You joke but the new Cat service literature format is all symbols that you have to look up in a key that is in your language for the meaning

  6. #6Birken Vogt2019-11-30 15:36

    The worst is the new digital controllers that have a hieroglyphic for every fault they encounter and no words, the display is low resolution LCD, the customers call me saying it won't run and there is this symbol they can't understand because it is just a blob of meaningless pixels, unless they can send me a photo it is useless information.

  7. #7partsandservice2019-11-30 16:29

    This grapple relay clicks in time with the temp gauge going up and down, the fuel supply pump going off and on , the glow plug relay clicking on and off, also when monitoring the data the engine parameters switch from not available to there. Again all these things are happening in time. The engine will not start. I need a wiring schematic if anyone has access to one. Thanks

  8. #8Nige2019-11-30 17:29

    Of course you would pick the one time when I’m working from a “not-so-smart” phone and not a computer..... If I can get to a PC, would tomorrow be good enough.? Can you get at the Diagnostic Codes.?

  9. #9partsandservice2019-11-30 17:48

    Well the skidder picked the time not me, anyhow tommorow would just fine, it's not going anywhere and try not to ever rush a favor. I can access the codes all active codes are not engine related , transmission codes. I am sure I will be getting into that as soon as the engine runs. However, I did not pay any attention to the stored codes. I will get a complete listing of all the codes Monday, I am done with machinery for the week!

  10. #10Cmark2019-11-30 18:14

    Here you go.

  11. #11Mike L2019-12-01 06:03

    Parts and service, Have you called cat? Up here I can call a tech support line and they have been extremely helpful as a sounding board or to email me schematics or info. Not that HEF isn’t helpful but you can’t have too many connections.

  12. #12thepumpguysc2019-12-01 06:40

    Grapple.. was the word I was looking for..{thumb} Duh..

  13. #13thepumpguysc2019-12-01 06:44

    Maybe somebody put a "Blinker Relay" in it.. hahaha

  14. #14check2019-12-01 07:22

    Cat sells a gazillion machines to US buyers and other English speaking countries, yet they are too arrogant to provide us with readouts in English. Welcome to the New World Order.

  15. #15Nige2019-12-01 07:38

    How about - “Cat sells far more machines to non English-speaking countries than it does to English-speaking ones.” So what exactly makes the English-speaking market deserving of special treatment..?

  16. #16MarshallPowerGen2019-12-01 11:57

    Just from that comment my WAG would be to start looking for a short to ground somewhere. Make sure to bring your jumper cables with and see if it goes away grounding engine to frame, cab to frame, cab to engine, etc. to help narrow it down.

  17. #17partsandservice2019-12-01 12:51

    Thanks for all the help with the schematics . According to the schematic the relay marked general grapple is the fuel supply pump relay and is activated by ground signal from the ecu. As is the intake heater relay. There are two unswitched voltage supply wires to the ecu but are routed into one wire prior to supply source in fuse box. The two ground supply wire also tee and are connected to frame. I have already made sure that ground point is clean. Then there is key switch input to ECU. My first plan of attack is to unplug the ecu connection and load test the ecu supply voltage/ground to ECU. Then check key switch input. If all that checks out then I will remove ECU from sister unit to verify before purchase of new unit and Cat service call to program. Cat thinks I take business from them and offer little help. It is just me and a helper in the shop these days as I wind it down so how much business could I be taking from them?

  18. #18RZucker2019-12-01 12:56

    I'm thinking more along the lines of a weak connection between the batteries and ignition switch. I had a D6M doing the same thing, checked all the battery cable connections first and didn't find anything, then traced the power from the starter to the switch and found a bad connection on the main 60 amp breaker. When the air heater cycled it made the rest of the system starve for power.

  19. #19partsandservice2019-12-01 13:01

    Thanks, I will check that circuit out as well.

  20. #20check2019-12-01 13:30

    The size of the market and the relative low cost of doing so.

  21. #21John C.2019-12-01 14:39

    I think Mr. RZucker is where I would start the problem process. Model year of the machine is 2007. All the dead bugs in the photo indicates possible wiring harness problems along with all the prior suggestions. In the past, I've used an ohm meter on the highest setting probing harness connections looking for cross connectivity between wires caused by oil breaking down the insulation inside the harness.

  22. #22partsandservice2019-12-01 16:11

    Customer install new injector engine harness ( left side ecu connecter). I installed used harness (right side)with identical part # and nothing changed. I did back probe the ground signal wire to fuel supply pump relay. I only checked that wire to frame ground, when the relay is activated there is high resistance to frame ground and no resistance when it kicks out. So I got it stuck in my head that the ecu has a ground issue. But I am going to use all advise given.

  23. #23partsandservice2019-12-02 11:04

    So this morning I load checked the voltage and ground supply to ECU. Ok Load check key switch input wire ok. Check all ground points and straps. Installed known good ecu . Key switch on , all clicking gone. Engine fired right up. Thanks again for the help.

  24. #24Mike L2019-12-02 19:20

    Do you use a load pro to load check your circuits?

  25. #25partsandservice2019-12-02 19:40

    Yes I used a load pro to emulate the ecu draw. When load checking the ecu voltage supply circuit it showed minute voltage drop between the positive and negative supply wires to ECU. Voltage drop was the same when checking positive ecu supply to frame ground. Which told me that circuit was good. Most probably know this but you should never use load pro to check ecu inputs. When ever I think that there is a wiring issue with an ecu input wire I disconnect the both ends , the sensor and ecu connecter, and use a light bulb to load test that wire.