I have a Allmand 425 backhoe with a Kubota diesel engine. I was moving some dirt and all of sudden the engine started pulling down and died. I looked over everything and didn't see anything. I started it back up and it runs fine as long as its sitting still. When I turn steering right and left you can hear noise like power steer i low on my truck. If i run it with the forward pedal mashed all the way it will pull engine down. If I let up on the pedal a little it will go on. Any idea what might be going on? It has all new filters for fuel and Hydraulic.
TLB-425TLB-425SPECIFICATIONS Engine Diesel: Kubota D1105, 25 hp, liquid-cooled Transmission Eaton HD servo-controlled hydrostatic (65 hp rated) Drive Motor Ross ME series Power Steering Load-sensing hydraulic steering with balanced steering cylinder Differential Limited slip Speed Range 0 to 5.0 mph (0 to 8.0 km/h) Front Drive Gilchrist hydraulic assist (optional) Aux. Hyd. Output 8 gpm @ 2,400 psi A little copy and paste if anybody else hasn't heard of allmand, but knows what the components are. The steering doesn't sound good, but that's not what's causing it to stall is it? Does the engine ever smoke enough to see besides when it first starts up cold? does it blow any smoke when it pulls down?
Thanks for your response. No the engine doesn't smoke and it doesn't stall with the steering. The engine pulls down if I have the forward pedal mash wide open and will stall the engine. I can back off the pedal a little and it will pick back up. This started when I was working on a drive way, bringing dirt from a pile to fix a washout. It was not low on fuel, engine temp was about 175, I had been working about 2 hrs with a couple stops for a few min when I needed to go in the house. All filters are new. Im lost,,Gonna check air filter today,,just reaching now
In my thinking a 25HP Kubota is about as simple as it gets. If the air filter were causing it to bog down, then it would be blowing black smoke. If the hydraulic pump/hydrostat were causing it to bog down, then it would be blowing visible smoke at least. Is this a inline injection pump that bolts into the engine block? or a rotary injection pump? or something else? I'm assuming it's old enough and small enough there's no electronics on the injection system besides one, two or three wires for a stop solenoid. The fuel supply is the first suspect, you could try blowing back into the tank for a quick test to see if it changes temporarily. Look into the tank, if there's a drain petcock on the tank, drain some fuel into a jar to see if it's clean. If that doesn't help, I'd take apart the fittings on the fuel supply, starting with the one from the tank into the transfer pump, and then into the injection pump, looking for trash or debris that shouldn't be there.
Sounds like it’s either low on hydraulic fluid or a valve is sticking. Is the PTO shut off?
Its full of Hydraulic fluid,, there is no pto shut off as it is a full time backhoe. im new to all this as ive never had any problems with it in the 5 years Ive had it
Its an 2005 year model. The engine runs good . Ill have to look and see where the pump hooks up. All I ever done to engine was change glow plugs and a new water pump. beside oil changes,, . Im a 70 year old female and Im kinda lost with this. Thanks for your responce
Here are some pictures of what Im working on.
Ok,,, I went out and took some pictures,,, It does puff a small amount of smoke when it pulls down just before it would stall the motor if I kept mashing the forward pedal
I took some pictures,,, not sure what kind of pump it is. looks like its attached to motor
That bit of smoke argues against it being a fuel supply issue, but that's still where I'd start. Basically you have two options, either it's the engine losing power (most likely fuel supply), or it's something in the hydraulic pumps, which is more complicated and more potentially expensive. That's a simple inline injection pump that's been used for decades, and as reliable an engine you'll find in that size, but any engine can have fuel issues, especially if the fuel sits, like it uses only a few tanks a year or the fuel gets old. You could remove the fuel line to that transfer pump and blow back to the tank, see if fuel flows freely out of the hose if the tank is higher, and stick that hose in a bottle of fuel to see if it still stalls. Otherwise, to look into the transmission hydraulics, I'd start at the filter or drain plug, but that's probably a mess. If you could find a manual, then pressure testing might be next, but that's not cheap or easy.
Thank you for your ideas,,, Ill check it out
Sounds like your hydraulic pump is straining. If fluid is fine, when was filter changed last?
Usually, with the hydrostatic drives, if fluid is low or blocked in any way, as soon as you use the drive pedal or use any of the hydraulics it’s really strains the engine. It very well could be your pump.
From a dead stop if you mash the pedal you can expect it to stall. I am not saying you do not have a problem if it stalls with the hydraulic or steering but with a hydro you control speed and motion with a pedal and only use as much pedal movement as the speed you want to go and you use the pedal to gradually work up to speed if you want to go fast. If steering and hydraulics both cause a bo it would seem the engine power is down but now days systems are so intertwined it's hard to tell.
I replaced the filters,,, they are new
I was moving some dirt ,working on a washout, I noticed the steering made a little noise and got hard a couple times and then as I was bringing the last bucket of dirt the engine started pulling down as i turned into my driveway . I shut it off and checked everything. Then started it back up and it ran fine as long as I didn't mash forward pedal all the way. I had it for 5 or 6 years ,,first time Ive ever had any problems like his
I'm very impressed. A 70 year old female running and maintaining a backhoe who is more articulate in explaining a problem than half the people on the forum. There should be an award for her. Bravo!
Thank you,,, I guess ya do what ya gotta do. Looks like my next step is try to hook up a gauge somewhere to see how much pressure my pump is pumping. Also find out what it should be be. Im learning.
Does the engine pull down with any other hydraulic functions? Try bottoming out the bucket and boom. If it does, then it may be a fueling problem.
I have extended the bucket and boom and didn't notice any pull down . I didn't try any digging as its sitting on concrete. The engine seems to run good. Starts easy,, Ill try and put some preasure on the bucket and boom,,, Thanks for your response
Do you still have the old hydraulic filter to cut open and examine? that would be a gold mine of information. How many tanks of fuel does this go through in a year? and how often do you buy fuel for it? I'm still betting on fuel even though a lot points elsewhere.
Yes, I still have the filters,, . As for fuel ,it get filled up regularly as I use it for a lot of different things here on 5 acres. it get used at least once a week and I start it every couple of days if Im not useing it. It doesn't have a big tank and 5 gallons will fill it most times
Good Day,,, I had someone else get on it and come up a hill and when it pulled down it put out more smoke than i had thought it was. I drained the fuel tank and the fuel was very clean. Guess it time to dig into the hydraulics'.
Well I got my backhoe fixed today. turned out an O ring on a relief valve on the gear pump behind the Hydrostat had broke. It is a hard O ring. Replaced it and everything is working once again. Just amazing what a mess an O ring can cause.
I got my backhoe fixed. It was a broken O ring on a relief valve on the gear pump which is on the back of the hydrostat. Replaced the Oring and everything works good again. Amazing what a broke O ring can cause.
Glad you got it fixed.