Hi Everyone! Great forum, looking forward to learning and maybe offering assistance once and awhile. I am in need of some wisdom. A good client of mine has an Allu ds3-17 mounted to a JD 544K Wheel loader that they use regularly for remediation purposes. They own the Allu and the Loader, however they are getting busy enough that they have needed some equipment to be brought in more and more. They asked if we would be interested in purchasing an excavator that we could mount their Allu to. I am new to big Excavators, but have owned 2 minis (Kubota 131-3 and an old New Holland machine) in the past. I downsized my equipment fleet at the right time (Alberta is in a big recession I have a line on an 07 Cat 324DL with low hours thats been well taken care of. However, i am a bit concerned that a 24 ton machine isn't going to be heavy enough for an Allu that size. The wheel loader is JUST barely big enough as is. I like this size of machine because i can mobilize with my current tractors and trailers, if i go to a 30+ i'll need to find a trailer to haul it. Do any of you have experience operating an Allu? Any tips and help picking a machine would be very helpful. I am having trouble finding too many folks in my area that have the experience. Thank you!
Welcome to the Forums Candianbacon! I don't have any experience with Allu screening bucket but if the 544 is just barely big enough to handle it a 324DL will have a problem handling it and making any production.
I have one tore apart in the shop as we speak. SMH 4-17. We run two of them in shovel configuration on a Volvo ec380. We have 2 so we can keep up on maintenance. We previously ran them on 330 and 350 high and wide undercarriage. You really ought to have a 30 tonner, even if it doesn't have the larger undercarriage. We use them to aerate hydrocarbon contaminated soil to aid in decontamination.
This is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Thanks you both! The application is the same as yours Ben46a. Although I will be a sub contractor using their Allu. After my post I had a discussion with the client. The budget (like everything in Alberta currently) is disappointing. I'm not sure if I should I gamble and buy the hoe, or play it safe and just set up a rental.
Thank you! I also just read the new members guidelines linked in your signature. Very helpful. i was wondering why i was a probationary member.
Glad to have you. You've got 3 posts so you're good to go. The reason we require that is to help keep the spammers at bay that we get hounded by on a daily basis.