Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Altec cranes

John H ยท 2009-10-31 10:32

Were looking at getting another crane and I was wondering how good they hold up.:beatsme

Replies14
  1. #1willie592009-10-31 11:17

    What model Altec are you looking at?

  2. #2John H2009-10-31 11:32

    We have 4 cranes now and were looking at adding another one. Size wise around 16-18 ton with 60-70' of main boom. But I want know how they are across the board.

  3. #3willie592009-10-31 11:50

    I'm trying to figure out what type of crane your are referring to. I have worked on Altec machines, their bucket booms as well as digger derrick booms, I haven't seen an Altec crane in my area.

  4. #4John H2009-10-31 12:15

    here are there cranes. http://www.altec.com/pages/Products/Product_List.php?t=3

  5. #5td25c2009-10-31 12:24

    I've never ran an altec.Our rural electric power company uses altec's on there boom & digger derrick trucks.They like them.Some of them have an operators station so the operator is seated beside the boom and swings with it.

  6. #6willie592009-10-31 12:40

    Wow, thanks for the link. I have never seen an Altec boom truck in my area much less worked on one, so can't advise much on them. But from my experience working on numerous Altec bucket booms and digger derricks, I can say Altec builds good equipment. They use quality components on their equipment, and their design and fabrication is top notch. Parts can be obtained through Altec Direct. I wouldn't think twice about trying one of their booms. Keep us posted what you decide.

  7. #7liebherr11602009-11-02 19:31

    Well ..Its a boom truck ..your always gonna have that useless piece of radius behind ya ..called a deck ... The LMI ..looks every bit like a Greer system ..bet my bottom dollar on it ..reliable ,accurate pilot controls ..mean smooth .. Personally ..Id watch for trigger throttle running a piston pump ..bad ...cant throttle in or out .. and to slow for a BT... get foot throttle and a displacement pump Outrigger controls should be at the Operators station ..not on the side ... removable outrigger pans just waste time ..I mean if you have to re&re the pans ..may as well get a crane ..waste of time in a boom truck ... Get the front jack Go for out and down outrigger's over the swing frame...allot more set up option's The charts are not that bad ..for a boom truck .. And put a engine under the hood ...these model trucks are just as underpowered as they are cheap ...short term gain for long term pain ..in the *** Diff locks ,axle locks ..get them ... Make sure it a deck ..and not a spine with fender's back there ..useless Make sure the hydraulic tank is mounted opposite the jib ...gets tipsy ..pucker factor increase going down the road .. Put a Sterling, Mack , or Western Star carrier underneath it ...to hell with those Freightliner delivery truck's they use as carriers ..the Daimler engines are garbage..chassis light ..useless..

  8. #8crane operator2009-11-03 21:01

    Worked for a guy who purchased a 26-103 swing seat brand new. Ran it a couple of times. Good- Pilot controls have a pretty good feel. Greer LMI system is robust/easy to get parts for. If you're going to run it much/ trusses all day, go for a swing seat, foot throttle. Bad- Not a great chart/ its a boom truck, wide outrigger spread (pretty hilly here and tough to set up) with out and down outriggers. Seemed to have a lot of frame flex also. This was one of the early Altec boom truck cranes (they've only made boom trucks 3-4 yrs.) and maybe the newest ones are better, but I wasn't impressed with the build quality. I'll be specific- the welds on the outrigger beams were simply poorly done. Also the plates on the top of the box of the beams looked like they were flame cut by a poorly set up torch. I can't see how it got past quality control. These guys make great bucket trucks, I think they were still learning. Guy sold it at a loss with low hours. National makes a better boom truck.

  9. #9murphybrothers2009-12-15 21:56

    Altec 26-103 Hello, I am looking at a new Altec 26-103 right now, I have never used a Altec crane before. The unit seems very solid and has some nice features. I have only used all National cranes before from a 580, 1295,9103A and a 14127a. I am looking a National cranes as well but the Altec has a little better chart and is about 40k less expensive. A few friends of mine have purchased Nationals over the past few years and they have said that the quality has decreased in their opinion... I am looking for any imput good or bad. Thanks in advance, Linus

  10. #10maquinariaw2010-01-15 18:16

    I have an 91' Altec Digger Derrick but I do not have the control/ monitor that plugs into the back, there is a 16 prong outlet were I need to plug a control box or monitor that controls the crane itself. where would I be able to find the control box Model: D842-BR Serial: 0291-T1412

  11. #11willie592010-01-15 18:33

    Welcome to the forum maquinariaw. :usa Sounds like you've got a bit of a problem with that box missing, if it's the box I think it is. Altec calls that the H-O-P control box (hydraulic operation protection), it controls all the safety devices of the unit. With box removed, machine should be inoperable. I have seen yahoos wire around that control box to make the machine operate, I advise not doing that. With a digger derrick operating without the safety devices, you can actually dig a hole with the auger and put enough down pressure on the boom to break the boom or possibly break slew ring bolts, very dangerous. You'll probably have to obtain one from Altec. There might be a used one out there, have no idea where.

  12. #12SW Equipment2010-10-12 11:29

    For that H-O-P control box, you might be able to get that from us. Call Jeff at 1-877-436-2256. We service and sell parts for bucket trucks, digger derricks, pressure diggers, and boom trucks. More than likely if we don't have it in stock we know where you can find it.

  13. #13SW Equipment2010-10-12 11:32

    guess I should have gone advanced... anyway, here's a link to our website: Southwest Equipment Bucket Trucks, Boom Trucks, Digger Derricks, Pressure Diggers

  14. #14AlanKh2021-11-05 12:38

    you should look at the performance of a truck aerial platform rather than a crane or a derrick. High reach for sure