Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Alternate Battery for CAT 259D

cpjohns · 2024-09-30 15:53

Just bought a used 2018 Cat 259D and battery is has gone bad between when I paid and when it got delivered, battery in it is a CAT battery that is only a year and half old. It's making a cycling sound like a solenoid tripping and parking brake does not want to go off. Wondering if there is any issue using an Interstate to replace or are the Cat batteries very specific to the machine? Anyone have luck with different band?

Replies29
  1. #192U 34062024-09-30 21:19

    Find the battery group number on the battery that's in there and buy the same size from an aftermarket supplier.

  2. #2cpjohns2024-10-01 09:53

    Thanks, CAT does not have the group on their battery but I think its a 65. Turns out its not the battery but a drain that pretty bad, once I took it out and charged it it held but when hooked up it drains pretty fast, whole other issue

  3. #3Nige2024-10-01 10:13

    If you want an electrical schematic to help trace your parasitic draw then post a machine Serial Number.

  4. #4ozarkag2024-10-01 10:59

    That is correct to my knowledge. FORD truck battery.

  5. #5Nige2024-10-01 11:45

    If the Part Number marked on it is 9X-5408 or 230-6368 it's a BCI Group 65, 850CCA.

  6. #6cpjohns2024-10-01 19:35

    Seems I have a bigger problem using the main cutoff for power drain but when I turn the key on it’s making a clicking sound before I start it and stops I think once started, the problem also is after about 2-3 minutes the parking brake just come on and it it stops suddenly. Have to shut it off and restart brake will come of but again after about 2-3 minutes brake back on while moving. Any ideas what this could be? It did not do this when I test drove it and not sure if the clicking is supposed to be happening, I did a video of the clicking

  7. #7cpjohns2024-10-01 20:22

    Well can’t figure out how to post the video but just a constant clicking coming from left rear side

  8. #8Cliffy2024-10-02 00:31

    Put video on YouTube, then link it on here

  9. #9cpjohns2024-10-02 06:39
  10. #10Nige2024-10-02 06:51

    If an electrical schematic would help in diagnosing you’re welcome to one if you post a Serial Number.

  11. #11cpjohns2024-10-02 07:09

    Any chance you know what that sound is? I assume it’s not supposed to do that when you turn the key on? New to Cat and skid steers and just bought it a week ago

  12. #12Nige2024-10-02 07:36

    You assume correctly. No idea I'm afraid. It sounds a bit like an air compressor but your machine doesn't have one.......... Unless you can identify the exact component that is producing that sound by looking in the engine compartment then the only way to narrow it down is by disconnecting the power supply to various electrical/electronic components in turn until you disconnect the one that stops the noise. That will require an electrical schematic - see my post above. It may seem a silly question but how many volts are you measuring across the battery terminals with the key OFF.?

  13. #13cpjohns2024-10-02 07:57

    13.1 which I thought was high but I checked it when I shut it off

  14. #14Nige2024-10-02 08:15

    13.1 is high. A fully charged battery should only get up to 12.6-ish. What happens to the voltage when you turn the key on and it's making that noise.?

  15. #1592U 34062024-10-02 08:28

    That noise sounds like the electric fuel pump. Its a bit louder than normal but its supposed to activate when the key is turned on.

  16. #16cpjohns2024-10-02 08:52

    It’s awfully loud for a fuel pump and I have to think it’s something to do with hydrolics because it started the same time as the parking brake issue, parking broke coming on while moving

  17. #17Nige2024-10-02 08:54

    Good call. Never heard one sound quite as loud as that. To the OP - pull the fuse for the fuel pump then turn the key ON and see if the noise goes away. The fuse is #17. With that much noise is it possible that the lines to the tank from the pump, or the pump itself, could be stopped up with sediment.? I would suggest to treat them as two separate issues for now until proved otherwise.

  18. #1892U 34062024-10-02 09:22

    Its definitely the electric lift pump making that sound. It sounds a bit louder than normal though. Is it moving fuel? They quiet down when they have fuel inside them. That pump is also something that I've noticed fails a bit more often than I think it should. Would not be a bad idea to pick up a spare to have on the shelf. You usually won't have an issue if it fails - until you replace the fuel filter.

  19. #19cpjohns2024-10-02 09:54

    Seems to be running fine as far as fuel just not sure why the parking brake keeps turning on while driving

  20. #20Nige2024-10-02 10:14

    Have you done any maintenance at all to the fuel system since you took possession of the machine.? The fuel system on this type of machine tends to be somewhat (actually a lot) neglected as a general rule.

  21. #21cpjohns2024-10-06 13:25

    Looks like the parking brake issue was a bad parking brake switch, replaced it and no issue after an hour of use, clicking is for sure the fuel pump and appears to be normal, thanks for all the responses Thea forums are a huge help. I will also say the CAT dealer in Memphis was awesome mechanic there offered all the advice I wanted when picking up parts, great group there

  22. #22Nige2024-10-06 13:43

    Not when it sounds as loud as it does your video it isn't.......... I would suggest you should take a close look at the condition of the inline fuel screen that is part of the fuel transfer pump. NOTE: The illustration below may not accurately reflect your actual machine but without a Serial Number it's the best I can do.

  23. #23cpjohns2024-10-07 09:45

    Thanks I do remember that being a bit dirty, can that filter be replaced or does it disconnect so I can clean it?

  24. #24Tyler d4c2024-10-07 10:25

    Replace it

  25. #25Nige2024-10-07 10:37

    It is available separately. Part Number is 416-5884. Have you checked for water in the main separator bowl recently.?

  26. #26cpjohns2024-10-07 10:54

    I have not just got it about a week ago

  27. #27Nige2024-10-07 11:29

    I would also suggest you need to (carefully) pull the drain plug in the fuel tank and check for the presence of water or sediment. Poor refuelling practices in these machines can cause all sorts of fuel system problems of the expensive variety……. If you haven’t got a manual yet then you really should make it a priority. Post a Serial Number and I can probably direct you to the correct one.

  28. #28cpjohns2024-10-07 13:34

    Luckily the manual was in plastic on the back of the seat

  29. #29Nige2024-10-07 13:56

    That's good. So it will have the procedure to access the tank to drain the water, if there is any. The best time to do that is first thing in the monirng after the machine has sat overnight.