Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best snowplow for skid steer

IceHole · 2024-09-30 17:50

Have a Bobcat (Erskine) snowblower and an 84" bucket. Both have pros and cons. My dooryard is probably 1/4 acre, maybe a bit more. Driveway is maybe 50ft and then it opens up for around 200ft, maybe 60-70ft wide. Snow goes in a few areas in the downhill side. The blower can't shoot it far enough so end up picking it up 2, 3 times. Bucket is ok, just doesn't hold that much. Have a 9ft wide plow for a Unimog but it's not skid steer ready, and lot of other things going on. (Unimog also not ready, needs an engine) Sort of looking at 8ft wide snow boxes (pushers). Most I'm finding though are rubber cutting edge, which i can't imagine would last on dirt.

Replies28
  1. #1Columbo2024-09-30 19:18

    I’m currently running an HLA 2000 series snow blade on a utility tractor for my personal driveway. My brother has an HLA 3000 series on a compact front end loader, used commercially. Both are used exclusively on dirt/gravel. I like the ram design and orientation on these snow blades, keeps everything closer to the mount and less side force. They also articulate 15 degrees each way, which is great when plowing across slopes or driveway crowns. Build quality and the welding seem very good. However, the paint sucks, there is no primer and it wears off very quickly. FWIW. HLA Snow | Home For the last 20 years HLA Snow has been committed to providing our customers with innovative equipment. With a comprehensive line up of snow and ice management tools HLA Snow has the right blade, bucket, or spreader for your team. hlasnow.com

  2. #2stefuel2024-09-30 19:56

    I adapted a 9 foot Fisher trip edge plow to my Case. I'm sure it will work fine if I ever get any snow. Haven't had any since I bought it. If I didn't have it, I'd be nostril deep in snow in August.

  3. #3stefuel2024-10-01 20:14

    We typically get feet of snow here. I bought the Case two years ago and two years in a row with no snow. Go figure.

  4. #4colson042024-10-01 20:22

    I did the same. I picked up an old Meyer 7'6" plow for $50. Mated it to a an old quick attach plate I was given and never looked back. Works way faster on the Bobcat than a bucket ever could.

  5. #5IceHole2024-10-01 20:39

    We broke records last year. Left the skid steer at the wood lot last fall as I ran out of time to haul it home (delivered wood till leaving).. "shouldn't snow before in back" Got home after being gone for work and had 3+ft drifts. Had to fire up the 977L to drag the truck out. (Have forks on the 977)

  6. #6IceHole2024-10-01 20:41

    For what I'm imaging is big money, should at least have decent paint!

  7. #7Acoals2024-10-01 21:50

    You want the Best this is it, though for a non commercial application it may be a bit of overkill, both in its capabilities and cost . . . Skid Steer Snow Plows | KAGE® Snowfire | Snow Plow Skidsteer The Snowfire Skid Steer Plow by KAGE Innovation is the best skid steer snow plow system for professional snow removal. Also fits Mini Wheel Loaders, Tractors kageinnovation.com

  8. #8IceHole2024-10-01 22:28

    We use Arctic Sno Pushers at work on loaders. I mostly run a 724 Deere, but we have a couple larger ones. The loaders we road use 10 or 12ft blades and ones that stay on lots are like 16-20ft. They are ok, but the rubber blocks on the sections are a weak point. And they are $$. The 8ft one for skid steer is near 10k from what ive been told.

  9. #9colson042024-10-02 06:32

    That's a lot of money for pushing snow

  10. #1062oliver2024-10-04 09:06

    Those purpose built snow pushers look to me like they must work good, but seem pretty expensive. IceHole, it seems to me you got it pretty well covered already for the area you're plowing. I use an 84" snow bucket for similar area, but I'm not usually in much of a rush.

  11. #11Vetech632024-10-04 14:02

    I have a snowplow....I call her my wife. By the time spring comes, she has the legs of a 20 year old. You guys have to think outside the box LOL

  12. #12stefuel2024-10-04 17:00

    That won't work in my house. If I don't do anything and leave it up to her, She's on the phone looking to ventilate the checkbook.

  13. #13Simon C2024-10-07 15:43

    Here was my simple solution. Simon C

  14. #14colson042024-10-07 16:13

    Simple works. I like it.

  15. #15IceHole2024-10-16 11:36

    Would break off the first push into the snow pile.

  16. #16IceHole2024-10-16 11:38

    Time costs money. More hours on the machine, fuel, plus I could be doing other things, like sleeping. Not fun plowing snow 12+ hrs at work then another 2-3+ at home.

  17. #17Simon C2024-10-16 16:04

    Icehole I used it an entire season and did not bend the arms , but did not use it to push back piles. I use the bucket to do that at the end of the days work. I could bend an angle blade the first day also but they are intended for time saving if used properly. One man hole cover can destroy any plow if not careful and going 20KM per hour. Need to make a lot to get back the big investment of angle blade. Simon C

  18. #18Acoals2024-10-17 09:10

    That's right . . .

  19. #19IceHole2024-10-17 13:48

    The 8ft push box im looking at is around $2500 with the freight. Not making anything, just plowing my dooryard. At work, we use Arctic sectionals. They have probably 25-30 of them, couple are 16-20ft wide. But even just an 8ft one for skid steer is around $12,000.

  20. #20Simon C2024-10-17 14:16

    Ice hole I used my home made set up because I didn't know when the owner of property would wash his hands and buy his own unit. It did speed up my job greatly, but in the end the owner bought his own machine. There is too much competition around here for $12000 US never mind canadian price. We have to add atleast 36% to your American price. I would of been stuck with unit now. It worked out much better for me. Those big wide plows are impressive in the right place. Simon C

  21. #21IceHole2024-10-17 16:40

    Some of the contracts are well in the 6 figures. One lot we do is something like 75 acres.

  22. #22Rex-Hide Industries2024-12-27 09:52

    You are correct in that rubber blades can be costly especially if they aren't the best quality. Here at Rex-Hide we stand behind our quality rubber snow plow blades. If you guys ever want to shop it around reach out to me and I will get some samples sent your way.

  23. #23Acoals2024-12-27 11:43

    Two samples of the rubber cutting edges for the wings on a Boss EXT would be great!

  24. #24materthegreater2024-12-27 13:53

    Do you make them for a Fisher XV2 9.5'? What about the center sections, I assume the steel ones would be left in place? How does Boss do the center cutting edges on their V plows?

  25. #25Acoals2024-12-27 15:36

    The EXT that I have is a winged straight blade. It's a straight blade with permanent 30° wings, with extensions that slide in and out. The center section is a steel cutting edge, with the bends for the wings. The extensions have rubber.

  26. #26materthegreater2024-12-27 21:55

    I see, when you said wings I assumed you were referring to a V plow. Sorry. Hopefully @Rex-Hide Industries follows up for you.

  27. #27IceHole2025-01-02 19:06

    They use rubber blocks that attach the sections. Steel blade and cutting edge. $$ pushers, ones for skid steer are around 12k

  28. #28KSSS2025-01-02 20:21

    This is similar to Acoal's. https://skidpro.com/skid-steer-attachments/snow-removal-equipment/hydraulic-snow-blade-pusher-combo/ Erskine has a similar if not the same one. I have no idea what it costs, but I like it.