I currently own a volvo 160B lc that does not have the hydraulic plumbing on the boom and stick. My question is there another route besides spending 5-8k on a auxiliary hydraulic setup??? Also have contacted H.K.X and they have quit producing the kit for any volvo machine. Wasn't sure if you could just use the heavy duty hoses and install it along the boom.
Well you could, probably look awful and you will have hoses rubbing through (or being rubbed through by) something eventually.
I don't know anything about Volvo excavators, but since it didn't come with the factory auxiliary system, does it even have the aux valve in the main valve chest? What about the control? Does it have either a foot pedal or button on joystick? What are you trying to install, a two way or a one way circuit?
I've never figured out why those things cost so much as I did them for both dealers and individual customers. Used to do a complete install of the hydraulics alone for $3,500. That was all the parts and labor for the following description. Mounting the bucket and thumb was a separate issue. I'm sure the parts price have climbed some but not 250%. The tubing over the boom is pretty simple after you set up your suppliers the first time. You need seamless tubing which you can purchase in twenty foot lengths and cut to what you need. I used to buy standard fittings for the ends that were female pipe on one side and JIC male on the other. I hogged the pipe sides out on a lathe for a tight fit on the tube and then arc weld them on. I used Stauf clamps welded on some one and one quarter inch by three sixteenths inch bar stock cut long enough so the clamp would clear the existing tubing. I then figured where to weld the clamps onto the boom and got them all done at once. Once the clamps are installed I would start clamping the tube at the boom foot end and bent the tubing to fit in each clamp. I used an old sixteen or twenty pound hammer handle to bend the tube over to get a good fit. Once all that is on it is just a matter of sizing the hoses from the main valve to the base of the boom. The pilot system is a little more complicated in that you need to know what kind of control handle you want and figure out the electrical system you are working with. I usually bought a four way solenoid valve with a pressure control cartridge mounted in the manifold block under the solenoid. Installation time ran about twenty four hours max with installing a new bucket and thumb. When I had a line of machines for installations I was doing three of them in forty hours. Back then someone else handled getting the parts to me so that saved a bunch of time. Contact a hydraulic components supplier in your area. You can certainly beat HKX by a wide margin.
Thanks Mr. John. I agree with you, i just can't understand why in the world these kits cost so dang much. I live close to baton rouge, la, which is a pretty industrial area. I should be able to find a hydraulic supplier close. I guess they try to sale you on the neatness and all the right bends of the tubing. But i just can't justify spending that much money for auxiliary setup. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me on this, thanks again and i'll let you know what i come up with.
The volvo has the control buttons on the joystick. Im trying to install the correct setup for a hydraulic thumb. I'm guessing a two way circuit??
But do those buttons actually "work" an auxiliary valve section on the main control valve? If if does, then yes, all you need is the hardware on the boom. You could check places like Machinery Trader for dismantled machines that have the OEM pipes and stuff. I see several EC160B LC machines there.
Agree with John C, if you're at all mechanically inclined you can save a lot of money doing it yourself. I haven't done one now in probably five years but used to do a fair amount and only once did the dealer I did them for request a kit. It actually took longer to install. One thing you can do if you do not want to deal with bending the tube over the arch of the boom is to put a 3-4 foot piece of hose over the arch. It's a few more fittings ect. but there's minimal bending and it does help to keep the vibration down.
Good day Strutter The EC160B has an option spool as standard, check out the spool block on the four spool side you will see two main lines plugged. This is the connection for the option spool (thumb - hammer ect), to make a reasonable installation you will need a tube bender - suitable tube - connectors and hose's. It is not so difficult we have made this on a number of occasions. You can link the spool to controls in variouse ways - foot pedal -Remote control lever - On/OFF soleniod valves. We have installation information if you need it at excatech.com. As always if you need illustrations or more help drop us a line. Kind regards uffex
I to agree with John C , cause I have done the same thing only I bought the weld able fittings to go onto the pipes. you can get them in J.I.C. or a split flange. worked really well and cost effective.