Hi all: I have a 1986 1155D track loader with what looks like a Generator for a 24volt system. It looks like it only has one wire coming off of it. Is that possible? Everything else I work on has at least a positive and a negative. Thanks.
Probably a Delco 26si. They ground through the frame of alt. It probably had a ground wire to the frame of alt to engine but someone lost it. Would work as long as the mounting ground is good.
Yeah, Delco has been making what we refer to as "one wire Delco's" for many years now. Nothing to worry about. Delco makes fairly good units that just about any starter/alternator shop can work on and get parts for.
Thank you, I tore into it last night and found some worn brushes. I appreciate the responses.
953 alternator I had an alternator that seemed to not be charging this winter and when I took it to the local alternator shop the man took a screwdriver and arced the terminals while the alternator was unhooked and held it.....when he hooked it back up again it worked perfectly!!!! The reason he said he did that was he said the armature lost it's residual magnetism. Guys this might sound weird but it worked!!!! the alternator has not caused any trouble since!!!