Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Alternator light comes on with blinker or flashers

chris cilley ยท 2019-10-23 19:51

Hi guys! I have a case 580 super K. Not sure the year? The alternator is charging 14.4 volts but when the blinker is switched on or the hazards are turned on the alternator light will flash along with the hazards? I suspect a chaffed/shorted wire somewhere but I can't seem to locate it? Anyone ever had this issue before? Any ideas on that to look for and where?? Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies4
  1. #1edgephoto2019-10-23 20:03

    I am no Case expert but I have been in the automotive repair business for 35 years and before that tinkered since I was a kid. I have learned when seemly unrelated systems have a problem that you have a poor ground. I would be checking all the ground on the machine. You should be able to find them in the wiring diagram. If you need help understand the diagram post a pic of it here. We can help.

  2. #2alrman2019-10-23 21:08

    Welcome to HEF @chris cilley There is a cluster of ground wires below the fuse box, down near the floor - You need to raise the plastic console to gain access. That's the first place I would look.

  3. #3catskinner 102019-10-25 05:27

    As mentioned the first thing to check is the cluster ground wire. If it checks out below the fuses, move up to the cluster itself. The harness plug at the cluster is notorious for problems were it connects to The printed circuit. Tom

  4. #4Coy Lancaster2019-10-25 13:44

    Also check wiring for flasher unit in steering pedestal.