Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Pins by dimensions

Clawed Backster ยท 2019-10-23 17:09

When I bought my Ford 555, one of the pins that connects the pad to the stabilizer arm was broken. It is 1 inch in diameter, and 12 inches in length. I can find lots of pins for sale for other machines, but they are listed by part numbers rather than dimensions. Anyone know where I can find some that are sold by dimensions?

Replies27
  1. #1kshansen2019-10-23 18:09

    You could always just buy some chrome plated rod like they use to repair hydraulic cylinders and make your own! I'd just do a search in your area for places that rebuild hydraulic cylinders and give them a call. You might get lucky and they might have a rod out of a cylinder they can cut off a foot of for you!

  2. #2edgephoto2019-10-23 19:08

    Fastenal is a good place to try. https://www.fastenal.com/product/fa...level=3&isExpanded=true&productFamilyId=20210 Another good source for these kinds of things is McMaster-Carr. https://www.mcmaster.com/pins

  3. #3Clawed Backster2019-10-23 21:59

    Thanks

  4. #4Tyler d4c2019-10-23 22:49

    For 1 inch I'd just get a grade 8 bolt with enough body on it to make the pin out of that

  5. #5Welder Dave2019-10-24 02:56

    Take the other pin to a shop that does hydraulic cylinders or a machine shop and have a pin made. I hade some 2-1/2" pins made with a 1/2" hole through them for the keeper bolts and they were about $150 each. Probably be cheaper where you are. I would guess 1" pins should be less than $75.

  6. #6joe--h2019-10-24 18:02

    https://www.zoro.com/search?categor...butes.Diameter=1"&categoryl1=Raw Materials&q=

  7. #7kshansen2019-10-24 19:17

    That was also one of my thoughts, it's not like a stabilizer pin gets that much wear. As long as it is kept greased regularly an unplated pin should last as long as the rest of the machine!

  8. #8Clawed Backster2019-10-24 20:22

    Any suggestions as to where a guy might buy such a bolt?

  9. #9edgephoto2019-10-24 20:47

    Here is a piece of 1" bar stock 12" long. Buy this https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/70872429 I assume buying a new one from a dealer is not a possibility. Buy the annealed rod, drill your holes and make sure it fits. Once you have done this you can harden it yourself. This should be all you need. https://www.wikihow.com/Harden-Steel

  10. #10Clawed Backster2019-10-25 06:43

    Thanks for the link. I am going by a steel supply place about an hour from me this afternoon, but if they can't set me up, I will order that.

  11. #11Clawed Backster2019-10-25 06:45

    Also, I didn't see the stock pin listed on Messicks site, but knowing NH prices, it would probably be very expensive if it is available.

  12. #12kshansen2019-10-25 10:17

    I tried just for fun looking at Messicks an ran into the problem of not knowing which 555 you might be talking about. Seems just like with Cat knowing the exact model and possibly date of manufacture, at least for Ford, Cat prefers S/N's, is very important. I'm seeing every thing from a straight 555 to 555A, 555B, 555C, 555D

  13. #13Clawed Backster2019-10-25 11:36

    I have a straight 555, no A,B,C, or D. One thing I forgot to mention is that my backhoe has custom made feet on the stabilizers. I think that they were made to get extra height. Therefore, I am not even sure that the stock pins would be the ones I need.

  14. #14Welder Dave2019-10-25 13:41

    Just take the other pin and get one made. It's not like it's a $1000 part.

  15. #15joe--h2019-10-25 20:53
  16. #16Clawed Backster2019-10-25 22:32

    Thanks guys. I picked up some cold rolled 1" stuff today. Now I have to figure out how to drill it for the keepers. My cheapo HF drill bits probably aren't going to be up to the task.

  17. #17Clifford B.2019-10-25 22:46

    You could bring the pin stock and a beer or two to me here at Klamath Falls and I would make them for you, I have a home machine shop ..........PM me if you want to

  18. #18jimg9842019-10-26 00:21

    those pad pins are larger than 1in

  19. #19Clawed Backster2019-10-26 00:58

    That is very generous of you, and I appreciate the offer. I don't know if I will be getting over that way any time soon, but I will certainly look you up if I do.

  20. #20Clawed Backster2019-10-26 01:01

    The original ones may have been, but the ones(one) it currently has is 1 inch in diameter.

  21. #21Welder Dave2019-10-26 01:09

    Mild steel isn't the best for pins. 1045 is common. Mild steel might bend and will wear fast. Obviously 1" isn't large enough if the old pin broke. What shape are the bushings in?

  22. #22Clawed Backster2019-10-26 01:18

    While I agree that 1" seems really small for this application, it is what the machine had when I got it. It appears that nothing on the machine has been greased for YEARS, and it is amazing to me that all of the pins and bushings in the loader and the hoe are in pretty good shape. I will be checking out the stabilizers and pads much more closely tomorrow.

  23. #23Clawed Backster2019-10-26 01:25

    I will post some pictures of the project tomorrow. My plan is to get a couple of decent 3/8ths cobalt drill bits to put some keeper bolts in the home made pins.

  24. #24Tinkerer2019-10-26 10:58

    Wouldn't the cylinder rod eye dimension dictate what diameter pin you have to use ? 1 inch seems small for a stabilizer. Unless someone put an odd size bushing in the rod. I sometimes just tack weld a bolt cross-ways on the end of pins.

  25. #25Clawed Backster2019-10-26 12:22

    Mighty crude, but for a hillbilly farm hoe, I think it will work. It looks like the former owner ran it for a long time with a broken pin, hogging out the arm pretty badly. These custom feet were made with WAAAAAY too much side clearance, putting a lot of extra stress on the pins.

  26. #26Tinkerer2019-10-26 13:51

    Oops ! I should have said the stabilizer arm eye. The wear on those pad eyes are normal for a high hour machine. The end of the stabilizer can be repaired with some heavy wall 1 inch id pipe. I have done it on the inner ends of my own bh. The pipe can be cut long enough to meet the pad eyes. I drilled the pipe in the center and threaded the hole for a grease zerk. I can post a link to the pipe source if you want it.

  27. #27Clawed Backster2019-10-26 14:08

    Thanks for the tips. For now, I am just going to see how it holds up like it is. I bought a couple more pieces of that 1 inch stuff, so if I have to redo it I will have the material.