Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Alternator warning light for the dash

rasman57 ยท 2010-12-14 23:37

My 69 580 CK needs an alternator warning light fixture. Dealer said the oil pressure is available but the alternator light is not? I guess it is a two wire non grounded at the dash obviously as opposed to a simple one wire dash instrument light etc. Anyone have a source or suggest a replacement/ Are there generic auto type available that will work with a 10SI GM type alternator? Anyone dealt with this... thanks

Replies2
  1. #1El Hombre2010-12-16 13:55

    http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/10si.htm How to wire your alt. If I remember, the wiring was from the ignition key "run", to the bulb, then the #2 wire on the alt. How it worked was the ignition supplied 12v to the bulb, and it grounded in the alt. When the alt was charging, the 12v it produced pushed against the 12v from the ignition and no ground; no light.

  2. #2drinderer2010-12-24 12:49

    I'vew had no luck finding an exact replacement for the light and most of the indicator lights i've found are 1/2" dia. (too small). I did come across a light that seems to be used in boating applications that has a larger diameter. http://www.iboats.com/Cole-Hersee-Indicator-Lights/dm/view_id.2190 I haven't purchased yet but am thinking about getting a few.