I'm buying some new ramps very soon, maybe even tomorrow. My excavators rubber tracks are 300mm(12 inch) wide. My two ramp choices are: One that's 350mm(14inch) internal. weighs 33kg(73lb) The other 400mm(16inch) internal. weighs 38kg(84lb) I want to get the lightest one because of my back, but do you guys think it would be annoying trying to line up the ramp narrow ramp? What do you guys prefer?
I think the narrow ramps would be fine, with an exc. you have good vision of your tracks when loading/unloading,as opposed to some other machinery. But having said that, 38kg is still a light ramp. I have this pair of 8 tonners, that we have to manhandle regularly, that weigh 68kg. The narrow ones may be easier to stow on the truck, under the machine, etc.
What length are the ones you are looking at and what height is it you are loading onto. The longer you make them the stronger and heaver they have to be for the same sized machine. I personally like the short ones and if they are pinned to the vehicle the rubber tracked machines don't seem to mind the abrupt inclines. Depending what work you are doing but most times you can sneak up on a shoulder and reduce the angle further. If they are to short your blade will strike the ramps or ground. If they are no longer than 2.4 i have seen people placing them across the tops of the tracks front and back and load binding them down to hold the machine better in transport.
I would worry about ramps being to short .Going from truck bed to the ramps can be very tricky,if ramps are short
I'm getting ones rated 3.5 ton 3.5m long so im just really worried about the narrow width possibly being anoying. I'm use to big 6 ton ones but can't move them round well due to a herniated disk in my back.
When it is wet/muddy a little wider will give you a lot more safety for very little weight.
Yeah i think i will go with the wider ones. Seems like unloading in the rain could be a really pain with only a inch clearance either side of the tracks, and it probably would be annoying having to measure the ramp spacing every time i was to unload.
We never use ramps without pins and have several pairs of holes in each truck to accomodate differing widths of machinery.
Yeah same, i think its the best way.
I just bought the ramps this afternoon, i ended up going with the lighter narrower ones.(350mm)(33kg) I was just about to order the wide ones but called the actual manufacturers to check the weight and they said at least 42kg( another 4kg than what i was told) and didn't look as good quality.
The narrow ones will be fine. With the rubber tracks they shouldn't slip. I'm a retired car hauler, so loading 8-10 cars a load up and dotrsmps is all I've done Just learn how to set them up and do it the same way every time. ON A LEVEL AREA Tie them off to the trailer/truck so they can't jump back
Mine are 420mm wide and 3 meters long.you can see the setup in the pics
I like the bobtail on the truck ,a lot better to load and unload.