Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Aluminum Welding cables?

simonsrplant ยท 2015-10-14 23:19

Years ago I bought an old 300 amp welder didn't work to great and I replaced it with a newer unit. Anyway, it came with aluminium welding cables. When I say cables, I mean alu cable that had welding connections on it. I got to like them more and more until I sold up years later and they went with the welder. Light to carry about, easy to reel in... just nice to use. 100 feet at arms length, like to see a guy hold copper cable like that! I've done a basic web search in the hope of replacing them and it turns out they don't exist? So the big question is, what cable was it? and has anyone ever seen or used anything similar?

Replies6
  1. #1lantraxco2015-10-15 00:44

    Popular overseas, Aluminum or CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). Appears to be popular for use in the ghetto blaster car stereos. Something like this might work: http://www.droppinhzcaraudio.com/2-0-cca-power-ground-50/ 50 foot lead is the practical limit for 300 amps of 2/0 I believe. Tons of ads on Alibaba if you don't mind buying direct from China.

  2. #2simonsrplant2015-10-15 00:59

    Thank you sir, so why has it not taken off in working applications? Seems like the Far East or boy racers get it, no one else?

  3. #3lantraxco2015-10-15 01:08

    I think copper carries more amps for a given size, and will heat less. If you look at the car audio boards the advice is to use pure copper for best performance. It's like power line use, it's way cheaper so they use it. Copper is better and smaller for the same capacity, but it cost more so you usually see aluminum. Also, I'm guessing that over time the flexing will cause the aluminum strands to break where the fine copper will last longer. Just a feeling. Maybe we're just old fashioned, lol. On the other hand did it ever cross your mind that the old welder "didn't work too great" because of the aluminum leads? Just curious. Cheers

  4. #4simonsrplant2015-10-15 09:40

    Interesting you say that... I kept in contact with the company so bought my welder, one of the guys there commented to me on my leads, couldn't stand them. Never went into detail about it tho. At this point I would say I am no licenced welder, but I can throw rods about with good results. I guess if the current draw on alu cable is higher on some heavier jobs a person would notice.

  5. #5DDoug2015-10-15 11:40

    My neighbor was welding up a skid for brine tanks, he has green leads, looks just like garden hose... His ignorant/arrogant step-son was there with a friend, and they walk over to the stinger (we stepped away to conduct some business) and he's telling his friend (as he points to the stinger laying there) "Hey Dood, fire comes out here, and he melts this rod with it....it's wild mannnn"...

  6. #6TomA2015-10-16 10:21

    I had some al leads at one time, came from an auction. I don't know the size (0000?) the stranded aluminum was about 3/4" diameter. I had about 100 ft spliced on the leads of my old 180 buzz box. I could weld all over the yard. I son't know if they are still around, my boy went portable and everything has changed.