Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

AM General 6×6 M35a2

Timark80 ยท 2008-09-25 20:30

Need an opinion on a possible buy... It's a 1971 with a 1991 Hercules multifuel,model LDT 465, 5 speed. Owner says its has been completely gone through with new(fluids) everything. It appears to be in excellent shape. Anyone own or have much exp. with these military vehicles? Thanks

Replies24
  1. #1Steve Frazier2008-09-25 23:22

    Depending on your plans for use, you may want to check with your DOT and find out if it will be able to be used on the road. Many military vehicles don't meet DOT specs and can only be used off road, a lot of people find that out after they've purchased.

  2. #2IH270A2008-09-26 00:00

    Also a lot of military vehicles were sold without titles , only purchase slips , I had a jeep like that once ... never did get it road legal .. finally sold it to a ranch for hunting

  3. #3Timark802008-09-26 04:31

    It has a tag and a clear MI title. I'm planning on pulling a trailer with my landclearing business. Today I'll call DMV to clarify everything.:usa

  4. #4OneWelder2008-09-26 17:11

    I was getting out of service at that time period, This is 2 1/2 ton trk cargo. Which in general were under powered with not enough gears and yes you can shift transfer case but army did not like that as it eventually broke it. I doubt they would pass anybody's smog test. Good thing about them is they were suppose to be able to carry 2 1/2 tons threw 2 feet of mud ! so off roading would be fine - highway not so good

  5. #5texascadillac422008-09-26 18:39

    How much weight are you talking about towing, and how far are you wanting to take the truck? They are not fast, and as it was said, rather under powered, but they will get the job done.

  6. #6Timark802008-09-26 21:38

    OK here's the deal. Fl tag+title,dmv said... as long as I have a vehicle title from any state in the US,proof of insurance(AAA will cover),weight of truck at a local scale, they will transfer all paperwork to FL,it's all legal to drive anywhere. Fl does not require a smog test..."Yet",knock on wood. I do have a class "A"cdl also. Be pulling 20k fairly regularly,maybe 100 miles per week total.I can handle the slow acceleration,I'll be on rural roads mostly. Although, some military surplus vehicles are very diffucult to get titled. My only concern is, can it handle the 930 mile journey home!!? It could turn into an adventure

  7. #7IH270A2008-09-27 00:39

    thats a pretty long trip ... better bring plenty of snacks .. one thing about it if it does make it that far , you will know its in pretty good shape

  8. #895zIV2008-09-27 08:01

    Wrong question, it's can you and your back handle the journey in that beast?

  9. #9OneWelder2008-09-27 09:33

    I think disaster would be a better word ! None of us have seen this thing - it would be hard to say how far it would go. Does it still have the old military tires ? If so they are way to old to be going on the highway, for even a short distance.A blow out on frt. with out power steering is very bad. Windshield wipers were not very good - defrosters were an extra. You gotta get to the south before you do not need them. Might be a lot easier and cheaper to have it shipped. Breaking down on the highway is never easy or cheap. you would not need to get fuel & reg. permits, or buy fuel, not to mention meals , motels ,etc.

  10. #10digger242j2008-09-27 10:30

    A question for Timark80--have you seen anyone else in your area using one in a similar application? If not, you have to ask yourself why...

  11. #11telescooper2008-09-27 18:33

    I had a M109 shop van, same truck as the 2an1/2 ton. I never broke down in 4 years. We just got flat tires. Some of the other trucks weren't so lucky they were broke down alot. I wouldn't drive one 900+ miles no way. I didn't see anybody mention how loud they were. One plus is the front windows lift up, so you got good cab ventilation. If you do road it, goodluck may the Lord be with you.:usa Telescooper

  12. #12Timark802008-09-27 21:50

    Wish me luck! I'm flying to MI Tue. Talked extensively to the owner,he says it would make it,no problem. IH270A-Got the snacks and earplugs/ipod. 95zIV-I hope my back can handle it.The new Michelins on it should help some. OneWelder-The old military tires are history,it now has new Michelin G-20 Pilote XL Radials on all rims,including a spare,the dual tandems were removed. digger242j-In my area there is a mobile home mover and a wrecker using the same type truck. telescooper-The new Michelins should holdup,if not, thats what AAA is for. They only charge 250 a year to cover. The radial tires are supposed to ride Alot better too. The Lord will be with me.Amen.

  13. #13Timark802008-09-27 21:55

    If y'all don't hear from me by next weekend,send out a APB. Thanks for the input,these trucks are not made for creature comfort.

  14. #14special tool2008-09-29 06:32

    Don't forget pictures of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  15. #15hvy 1ton2008-09-29 13:11

    The guys over at steelsoldiers are your new best friends. They are always happy to help out new owners.

  16. #16OneWelder2008-09-29 18:02

    Check U-joints & drive shaft bolts - not uncommon for them to loosen up and break check the brake fluid ! that should be air over hyd. and I do not think it has dual brake sys.- lose a wheel cyl , line, etc. = no brakes

  17. #17OneWelder2008-09-29 18:46

    Just had another thought - When you use reverse it automatically engages the all wheel drive, you are suppose to use 1st gear to start out after using reverse. Failure to do so can result in the sprague(maybe?) spring winding up. The result is difficult steering, ft. end shake. - cure jack up ft. wheel and let it unwind, that is if it did not break it or ft. axle A lot of accidents were blamed on this.

  18. #18Timark802008-09-29 21:45

    Screeeeeching halt,Whoa! Fuel Permits? What fuel permits? Fed.DOT says:When driving a truck weighing over 10k with more than 2 axles ya gotta pay about $100 per state,and stop at all weigh stations. I always heard you had to be over 26,001 lbs. before. 6x6 truck weighs 13,050 lbs. Am I correct on this? I've heard yes and no. Dangit man.

  19. #19special tool2008-09-30 06:45

    This is the reason I do concrete instead of trucking. You have to be a friggin yoeman to keep track of all these new regs!!:Banghead

  20. #20RollOver Pete2008-09-30 09:14

    Since nobody else is gonna post pics, here's some of mine. A friend here in Bermuda Dunes buys, restores and sells these.

  21. #21Timark802008-09-30 09:57

    Clarification:Regardless of weight,3 axles or more require fuel permits. Questions call,1-800-274-8078

  22. #22Timark802008-09-30 10:00

    Now that's one serious truck! It's a little bigger than a deuce

  23. #23OneWelder2008-09-30 10:03

    I think you will find regulations are for gross weight (GVW) not actual weight. I would look into IFTA and apportioned plate rules, or can you reg. noncommercial in your state ? I would assume that any tamden would be over 26000- but for the govt. who knows yes apportioned plates are not required below 26000 provided the state you are going into accepts that rule- IE Maine made my nephew reregister his one ton as apportion . Right after giving him a hefty fine Perhaps Lowboy, or one of the others who do a lot of interstate could shed more light on this

  24. #24Timark802008-10-01 11:07

    Ain't gonna happen With cash in hand I decided not to buy the truck because of the permit issue. The more I read about awsome 6x6's the less I see they would work for me,especially pulling 18k. Maybe one day I'll buy one just to drive around and do a little mudslingin. Meanwhile I'm looking for a used medium duty truck.