I've always loved the looks of these trucks... even sat in one once. OCR
Yea i agree, the last marmen I seen was probally 3 years ago at a old dealer south of me.
That tow rig is from a company that is just a half hour away from me. I don't recall seeing that truck, he's about the biggest operator I've ever seen. He has a fleet of heavy tpw rigs like that and turns them over on a regular basis, they hardly have a chance to get dirty!
One selling point to these trucks is that they were still all hand assembled. It's been years since I remember hearing this. I've never known a Marmon owner or driver who had anything bad to say about his truck.
They might not have it any more Steve. I just happened to find this persons web site... Wayne Crane Collection... They have a lot of truck pictures, and the site gives permission to use them, so I did. But for some reason, I've always liked the looks of the older square front, long hood Marmons. OCR They almost look as good as an IH 9370 Eagle...
Must be talking about Michael J. Bigg, Steve. I'd been towed by one of his wreckers years ago to his shop in Orange County. The yard was jammed with tow trucks, all with that rainbow banner paint job. Really cool. The story goes, I was headed through Slate Hill NY on rte. 6 on a Friday with a dump trailer load of scrap going to Reading, Pa. As I was about to make the turn onto 284 south to NJ, a Barney Fife Orange Cty. sheriff noticed my one-day-over-expiration NYS annual inspection sticker.(I was registered in NYS at the time.) He spins around and stopped me on the shoulder of rt. 6, and proceeds to run through the act. 20 minutes later, I'm in handcuffs in the back of his car headed for the hooscow. (Not for misbehavior, but another incident.) A year prior, I got a ticket in upstate NY for no tarp on a load. Guilty I was, so I went right home and wrote the check and sent it to the town of West Sand Lake, NY. All done so I thought. Evidentally they never processed my payment, so I had a suspension but didn't realize it till the silver bracelets were secured around my wrists. From the comforts of the sheriff's holding pen I called my wife and had her check into it. The town clerk of West Sand Lake sent proof it was paid, and I was free to go. Problem was, I'm stranded in the sheriff's office now, a few miles from my truck. A state trooper happened to stop in for a doughnut and was told I got a bad rap, so he brought me over to Biggs' shop and explained what had went down. Biggs' manager told me there was no charge for the tow due to the whole mistake. I thanked him for his kindness, thanked the trooper for his also, but never got a chance to thank Barney Fife for making me lose a load that now I had to drag 150 miles back home for the weekend, a backhaul from Pa., and still had to show up in court in Slate Hill, NY 30 days later in the town highway dept.'s makeshift courthouse. It was hillarious. 12-15 fold up chairs in one bay of the garage with the overhead door framed in with plywood, in plain sight of the grader, dumptrucks, backhoe, lawnmowers. Cost me $25.00 court cost to be innocent, lost another backhaul because I deadheaded from Pa. to be in court on time. All total, a couple grand in lost revenue, thanks to Barney Fife. Life's interesting some times... As for the Marmons (to get back on topic,) I drove one for a year hauling bulk cement and dump trailer. It was an '82 daycab glider kit. NTC 350, 13, Reyco spring suspension. It was a great truck to drive.The Reyco suspension however, is probably the reason I hurt in certain places today. I always loved the large car versions like East Penn ran. They were also a dealer for Marmons in the day.
I know what you mean but I go as far as I like the looks of any of the big Square hoods. Just like pickups too, the best looking ones are the 60's and 70's designs. They just look good, not like those melted things that they have now a days.
:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead and the beauty of it is the trooper / cop who pulled you in the first place wouldn't have given it another thought,
ahh ROHRER'S SEED....done a bit of business with them, i don't think they still have that truck, i believe they are running a Peterbilt now
I agree. OCR
Thanks for the pics, OCR! You brought up an old, pleasant memory: my old man never called it the "hammer lane" -- it was always the "Marmon lane".
You're welcome, BB64. OCR
There is a local residential paving company in my area that has a Marmon tri-axle and he has had that thing forever. That is the only one that I have seen.
out in the west and central plains i was always told it was the "monfort lane"
lol if youre in NY, then I am the driver of that marmon...
Naw, I am in the Wilkes-Barre area. Post some pics of your truck though.
The Marmon thats a wrecker there belongs to a customer of mine.I believe he sold it.He usually sells them after a year or two on the road.