Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

AM general truck-experiences opinions

trombeur · 2022-02-12 12:54

hi, I am a fan of unimog military vehicles and the like, if it were possible I would like more information on vehicles AM general which produces trucks and military vehicles for marines and army which the best and most used trucks which the most popular classic vehicles? many have winches or special applications and arrangements such as engineers and bridges, let me know thanks. There would be a ranking around a table with models and year of construction, characteristics merits defects in chronological order of production construction use decommissioning, by which vehicles they were replaced, what performance they had thanks sorry again.

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2022-02-12 13:53

    Like here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M939_series_5-ton_6×6_truck?wprov=sfla1

  2. #2trombeur2022-02-13 04:03

    Oshkosh or AM general truck.??? which the best??

  3. #3AzIron2022-02-13 19:27

    Worked for a place had a couple am generals in the fleet on the farm there built by crane carrier company witch is pretty stout They were really basic unfortunately they were military 24volt witch makes sourcing parts a little work but they were standard chassis parts and the motors were basic as well just hard to get to but for a site truck there hard to beat No experience with oshkosh I just know there dam expensive

  4. #4_Weldman_2022-02-13 19:51

    I will say from my experience and opinion Oshkosh is the best.

  5. #5JLarson2022-02-13 23:37

    One of our customers has 2 of the AM 5 tons, a Stewart 5 ton and an Oshkosh 7 ton. I'm partial to the Stewart and Oshkosh cause they have CAT motors lol. Parts and service info can hard to come by, especially for the Oshkosh, some of those manuals are still restricted.

  6. #6trombeur2022-02-14 09:43

    thanks for your clarifying intervention, am general I think cummins engine mounts, I know little about the transmission spartan vehicles but solid robust and unstoppable thanks again. Stewart ????