Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Missing GVWR tag

oifla ยท 2022-02-12 00:03

Hello all, I recently (today!) picked up a 1998 International 8100 dump truck. The truck has the VIN sticker on the door but there's no further info (axle rating, GVWR, etc.). I looked on a couple of VIN decoder sites but all I could find was that the truck was a Class 7 (26,000-33,000lbs) which is helpful but I still want to know what the actual GVWR is for this truck (rather than the range). Is it possible to somehow get this info? Any recommendations? Ultimately, for multiple reasons that I don't need to get into here, I would like to find a replacement weights tag. Do manufacturers do that? Thanks! o.

Replies10
  1. #1Steve Frazier2022-02-12 10:28

    I would think and International dealer should be able to give you the info you seek with the VIN.

  2. #2mekanik2022-02-12 10:40

    Give me the last eight of the VIN. I might be able to help.

  3. #3oifla2022-02-12 19:25

    Awesome, thanks! Last eight: TH356379 o.

  4. #4mekanik2022-02-12 21:08

    This all the info as far as weight ratings are concerned. FRONT AXLES AXLE, FRONT NON-DRIVING {International I-100SG} I-Beam Type, 10,000-lb Capacity REAR AXLES, SUSPENSIONS SPRINGS, REAR AUXILIARY Multileaf, 4,500-lb Capacity, REAR AXLES, SUSPENSIONS SPRINGS, REAR Heavy Duty Vari-Rate, 23,500-lb Capacity, In Lieu Of 20,000-lb Capacity REAR AXLES, SUSPENSIONS AXLE, REAR, SINGLE {Spicer J210-S} Single Reduction 21,000-lb Capacity, With 190 Wheel Ends

  5. #5oifla2022-02-13 01:05

    in translation (?) 33,500lbs. GVWR? i think i can live with that o.

  6. #6skyking12022-02-13 01:12

    21000 rear and 10,000 front = 31000

  7. #7oifla2022-02-14 09:40

    hmm i thought it was front axle + rear axle. so if I (at some point) update the trans, I can get the full 33.5K the axles are rated for? o.

  8. #8Nige2022-02-14 14:04

    According to what I see above your rear axle rating is the issue. It appears from @mekanik 's post that you have 23k-capacity springs but only a 21k-capacity axle mounted under them.

  9. #9The Peej2022-02-14 14:28

    Don't forget to check the tire rating, often they are the limiting factor

  10. #10skyking12022-02-14 21:55

    what Nige said. The 23,500 is the springs. The 21000 is the axle itself.