Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Am I getting too old

cuttin edge · 2024-06-22 18:01

Got a new 450 Deere John dozer this spring. Has not seen a lot of use yet Around 62 hours on it. Picked it up this morning for a little job at the C+D site we look after for Waste management. No key... push button. It seems to know that I am not wearing my seatbelt, even if I put it behind me. No throttle, push button. peddle no longer changes rpm, only speed. Forward and reverse is push button, or a rocker. Touch screen, slope control, didn't even attempt that. Is this really better, and I'm just too set in the old ways. I was just getting to a joystick for steering instead of 2 clutch levers, if they make that push button, I'm done.

Replies17
  1. #1Joe H2024-06-22 18:44

    I been thinkin of getting me one of those cell phone things, but maybe not.......... Joe H

  2. #2terex herder2024-06-22 19:10

    But it has blue tooth radio, and a satellite link to mother deere! Doesn't that make you feel better?

  3. #3kshansen2024-06-22 19:23

    About the only equipment I operate these days is my Farmall BN that left the factory in 1947. Have to admit I did upgrade it years ago and it now has one of those newfangled things they came out with to put electricity back in the battery, think it's call an alternater! Oh and it does have a pair of halogen head lights that some how found their way here from the quarry where I worked, no take that back the left one lost an argument with a tree branch last year, so guess I need to get to work on that someday!

  4. #4Mike L2024-06-22 20:31

    All that new fangled stuff may or may not be better. But... It definitely makes mediocre operators look like they know what they’re doing and it also tries to force you to have the stealership perform all the repairs rather than a reasonably priced independent field mechanic.

  5. #5Legdoc2024-06-22 21:12

    Sign of the times. I don't like being held hostage by technology. Just look at the new vehicles. Lane assist, adaptive braking, no key just press the brake and push the button.

  6. #6Tones2024-06-22 21:27

    No key, get an ap on your phone that unlocks everything, safe and secure they say.

  7. #7cuttin edge2024-06-22 21:33

    One thing they didn't change. It's still as rough as our old 450

  8. #8CM19952024-06-22 21:45

    Did you have to put in a code to start it? Personally I love our newer equipment with a code to start. Every Tom Dick and Harry on a site has a key so it stops the "borrowing". The tech on the GPS side is a game changer IMO. Yeah it's more money and complicated to repair but it eliminates grade stakes for the most part and like Mike L said it makes mediocre operators look great. Well hate to say it but the talent pool doesn't have too many old school operators that know how to grade with the bubble in their butt like we do. It is what it is and in order to survive it's either adapt or fall to side.

  9. #9Truck Shop2024-06-22 21:54

    2 cents, I've had several ask why I'm still building engines, simple. I have to stay moving my body doesn't like it stagnant, It keeps me thinking, there are still people wanting what I have to sell, the major thing--it keeps me in the game, not too old to just up and quit. That time may come sooner than later but for now it's a few bucks, entertainment, and something I can look back on each day that's constructive.

  10. #10Steve Frazier2024-06-22 22:53

    I rent man lifts annually for use in the same spot for the past 15 years. As the machines are updated they've become more difficult to operate, they've come closer and closer to becoming idiot proof which really has made the job more difficult. The machine level sensor is hyper sensitive and if it's the least bit out of level the boom won't operate. Somewhere along the line someone has done something stupid requiring all these safety features.

  11. #11chidog2024-06-23 01:20

    Right on, the more safety stuff, on some machines the more difficult it can be to use them, I've run into that so many times. And when you have to do a work around they can then be more dangerous than the old units that they thought they were fixing.

  12. #12cuttin edge2024-06-23 07:56

    Still has a master, and a key for the door, but no code. This is just off Deere's site, as I am still hugging my old phone. Just press the green button twice. Two buttons on bottom right are wide open, and idle.

  13. #13cuttin edge2024-06-23 08:13

    I think the GPS is optional. But I think it does have slope control. Tells you how you are sitting, and the position of your blade. I think it keeps your blade stable, no dips. Never tried that stuff, but I can see how it would be helpful for some.. I was only covering demo material, so nothing fancy. Related to the topic, of where I was working. The C+D site is owned by Waste management (GFL). It is not too far from our shop, so it has been a convenient little gig. Our scales are there, and it's not to far to move equipment to push over, tramp, and cover material. The regulations have been getting too strict, so the big boss has given GFL till the end of the season, November to find someone else to take it over. They want no garbage what so ever. You know how construction sites are. Coffee cups and bottles get thrown in the bin. The woman from the environment found a glove, and lost it. Boss said it's not worth it for the money.

  14. #14Tugger22024-06-23 10:55

    I think as an older guy that enjoys running older cranes I can tolerate a bit of the new technology,but the BS that comes with safety enviromental and construction management is going over the top.The glove found in the waste dump is a prime example. In spite of some setbacks im still going to work and enjoying it,as TS said above, i need to keep moving to. There are still people out there that appreciate what i bring to a job.

  15. #15CM19952024-06-23 11:55

    Damn that's a lot of buttons! Our '21 D3 still has the Cat rocker switches and a touch screen which is more intuitive IMO. Still has a key and master switch however it requires a code to crank it. Our new 325 has no key. The 2D slope assist and grade on the new dozers are quite handy for pad work. You can set the elevation and the machine will adhere to it. So when you're building a pad and need to trim the last .10' set it to auto and let the machine do the work. GFL has been buying up many small regional garbage companies in the southeast over the last couple of years. They came out of nowhere and were all over the place. Had no idea how large of a company it was until I did a little research. The C&D landfills here are somewhat strict and the state inspectors come every couple of months to inspect and write reports that really don't have any teeth to them. Back in the 2000's I hauled a load of drywall and wood to our county landfill on a Saturday. Our county landfill is a regional landfill that's quite large with an MSW cell, C&D cell with brush and concrete areas. It was getting close to 12 closing time and the dozer operator directed a rear load full of MSW to dump in the C&D pit since it was closer.. Rules for thee...

  16. #16Tugger22024-06-23 14:01

    Interesting about GFL . They have bought out a lot of the disposal and bin companies in out area as well.

  17. #17cuttin edge2024-06-23 18:42

    They have not gained much of a foothold here. They have the C+D site, and quite a few overhead loader bins. Fero is the bigger guy here, and they were bought out by Municipal group, which also owns Dexter construction. There are still a few private companies that do a lot of the outlying areas road side pick up, and a few smaller companies that will drop off a dumpster. A couple guys drop trailers off, and pick them up. I think a lot of garbage in the C+D site comes from them. They have tried to have someone on site to police the garbage, but between the other duties that come with looking after the site, paying someone to stay there cuts into the money pretty hard. They cross the scale, the scaleman gives them a key, they dump, and return the key when they weigh out. They had a fella on site. He kept the trash cleaned up, and picked wire and lumber to take home, but he retired. I've found a small electric pressure washer, a small air compressor, a new wheel barrow tire and rim, a feather lite 12 foot step ladder, and a coupe wooden french doors.