Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Am I on the right track?

92U 3406 ยท 2025-04-26 20:41

So we've got a little WL38 Wacker loader, Deutz engine. I'm looking more of a general answer rather than something specific, which is good since I do not have the S/N at hand. It is fairly new, Stage V emissions I believe. So customer went to start it and it just barely idles and then dies after a couple seconds. Ended up getting sent to the shop and the guy who diagnosed it says it needs an injection pump. I have my doubts on that at this moment. I tried starting it and found it'll idle, but laboured, if I run a hydraulic function. Engine dies as soon as I release the joystick or if the cylinder reaches full travel. Would I be right to maybe attack this as a hydraulic issue first? Seems to me like the hydraulic pump could be stuck fully stroked and is stalling the engine. I just really do not want to see an injection pump thrown at this based off an incomplete diagnosis.

Replies6
  1. #1Tones2025-04-26 20:46

    Pressure and flow test will answer that question and for the process of elimination a good idea.

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-04-26 20:53

    Sounds hydraulic to me I would start with signal pressure to pump

  3. #392U 34062025-04-27 09:48

    That's kind of what I'm leaning towards. Rule out excessive load on the engine first.

  4. #4Vetech632025-04-27 14:41

    I assume the engine will not throttle up at all? Does it smoke when its laboring? If so, it could very well be a hydraulic problem.

  5. #592U 34062025-04-27 17:30

    I didn't actually try to throttle it up. I never checked the RPM at idle. When starting it with a function activated it does sound like it's running near a typical idle RPM but it's definitely labouring/lugging. This was more or less a situation where it was the end of the day on a Friday and we were just trying to gauge a direction to start with for next week. Didn't see much for smoke but being Stage V emissions I'd imagine the DPF is probably masking that if it is smoking.

  6. #692U 34062025-04-30 23:29

    Problem is solved. One of the pumps was loading up the engine.