YouTube - Impressive Excavator Skills YouTube - excavator trench hopping I never knew Excavators could do stuff like this Anyone have any pics or videos of stuff like this? YouTube - Cat 319D LN climbing onto rail car
YouTube - Mini Excavator Tricks
The first video on the barge is very dangerous, that barge is to small for the machine, especially to do much work, or if a storm popped up. Also loading on the ramp with the bottom of the barge on the rocks and concrete could easily put a hole in the bottom of the barge, and look how unstable the barge was after he shoved off. Not much value on human life.....
You really thing so? I ran a 120K lb hoe out on a barge and if I wasn't smooth and toke it easy I had no problem making that barge buck up and down 3'-4'. I never felt like I was in any danger other then if I tracked off the end. Your making a few assumptions like whether or not he is going to work from it or if there where any rocks.
Dozerboy, yes I am making some assumptions look at how low the draft of the barge is in the water. We have worked from barges before doing silt removal, and shore line work. We do not work from barges everyday, so I'm sure there are several other people with a lot more experience than I. Since I own the equipment, and pay the worker mans compensation policies, and take the responsibilities of my workers safety pretty seriously I would never place any of my guys in that situation. These are judgment calls that I have to make everyday, and are usually influenced by my 15 years experiences. It is always good to hear others perspective, I'm just not a high risk kind of guy. Bill
I do a pretty good bit of marine work, and I come down between the 2 of you. I would not be worried about using this barge to transport this hoe, on that river or protected harbor. It wouldn't be a good barge for heavy work, or going outside, if you are not sure of calm seas. We used to use a barge about that size to move a B-E 22B dragline on the rivers and from rice field to rice field. I'm pretty sure that PC150 weighs less than a 22B. If I was going to be doing heavy work from that barge, I would either tie it down or bolt some heavy planks to the deck, so that the tracks wouldn't slide. If that barge is dry, the lack of freeboard isn't a major concern. We frequently take 30x100 footers outside with the seas washing over them down the whole length. This thread has info about what happens when you take one outside that isn't dry. It would suprise you what a barge can hit and not be holed. It would have to be aground on something very sharp to hole it by loading that hoe on it. They are not just hollow boxes, the bows are usually pretty thick, and have a lot of bulkheads in them.
Look at ware the first video was filmed. They do not have someone looking over there shoulder telling them what they can or cannot do. They do what they can with what they have and get a lot more done with a lot less. Not saying any of it is safe or unsafe just fact.
Amen, Dwan
Wow!
Neat stuff
The barge one, would scare he heck out of me. Unless it completely secured by chains to the dock, with a small ramp across it for safety (secured as well) then I'd attempt driving a multi-ton tracked vehicle on it. lol If the thing were to fall, with an enclosed cabin like it has, that operator would be dead. Pressure from the water on impact, unless the door came open, would be pressurized closed. With water that can be easily 45-50 degrees (adding to initial shock of "OMGosh I just tipped over) with the cabin being rapidly flooded... That wouldn't be a good day at all... I can see the serious risks regarding it.
YouTube - Swimming in Russia|Плавающий ÑкÑкаватор
I have done trench hopping it fun. Kyle
Keenco, This isn't the place to promote your business on the forum.
that first hoe on the barge was ok for that water cept loading it where one end was sitting on the bottom. it's not how much it sank, it was the freeboard available for a righting arm............. 2AE unlimited oceans he'd be ok but working from it would probably eventually make you sweat! the worse thing is the salt water!!
I like the one in post 12. Row Row Row your boat, gently down the stream!