Hello everyone! I just acquired a gem of an old dragline in great mechanical condition and I am trying to find out what model it could be and I can't find anything online. The serial number is GS 3409 and it has a GM 3-71 diesel in it. It has a 1 yard bucket and I'm hoping to add on to an existing pond with it. Could anyone help identify this beast and have any ideas on how you would go about getting an operator manual for something like this? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks! Ben
Congrats on the great find, I don't know what model it is but jensales sells manuals for all kinds of old iron.
Thanks for the reply and info! I spoke to Jensales and they were unable to track one down. There must not be too many of these babies around! I'm thinking it is maybe a 375-BC or a 395-BC, but that is just a guess. Thanks Again, Ben
GS-3409 is a 395BC. It was originally equipped with a backhoe attachment. Phillipi Equipment was the dealer and Gibson Brothers Construction Company purchased this crane in May 1957. And from what I understand Phillipi Equipment is still in business. Sincerely, John.
Hello John, Thank you so much for the reply and info! That is very interesting history to go along with the old beast! I was beginning to think I would never figure out exactly what it is. Would you have any ideas on where I might look to find an operators manual for it? I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find anything what so ever. So many levers and controls, a manual would sure help out this rookie! Thanks again for the info, I REALLY REALLY appreciate it. Ben
it looks like a old 21-b Bucyrus-erie and it having the detroit engine also make me think that....my memory leaves me sometime....lol
the color should be red and white if it's a 21-b the bucket is around 3/4 yard with 43' of drag cable 3/4 and about 90' of hoist cable 5/8. That was one of my first job's the oiler on it for him.it's very sound machine as long as you keep vinger and baby powder on hand!!
this is what I think it is...I was wrong about the color red and white was the color is the linkbelt-speeder.
They are selling on Ebay.com (look American crane) on this moment the complete American series manuals, also 300 series parts and operator manual! you have aprox 10 -17 days left. sincerely, John.
Thanks for the info guys! I've been looking for a manual specific to the 395BC, so that makes sense that I wasn't able to locate one! Your right Firebird, the American sure does look a lot like the Bucyrus-erie! Makes me wonder if they were in cahoots! Thanks Again, Ben
Vinegar and Baby Powder I started on one of these 22Bs a lotta years ago. I remember using Fuller's Earth and/ or Carbon Tet before we found out these were hazardous to ones health. Sometimes I just threw a handful of dry cement into the swingers to clean out the grease. Mine had 318 Ct with a rope start pony engine. Used a long rope and pulled fom the ground out back. You could pull from the platform alongside the swingers but took the good chance of cracking knuckles on things. Greta old machines.
If it was in the UK I would say it's an NCK Rapier. However, I believe the NCK Rapier machines were a license-built Link Belt, albeit not with Detroit engines (May have had Dormans over here), so somebody earlier may have gotten close.
NCK Rapier I was not aware that Rapier ever had a deal with Link-Belt. I remember operating an old NCK 405 at a British Steel Project in Scunthorp back in the late '70s and it was a carbon copy of the 405 Koerings that I have operated in the US. As a matter of fact I always thought the "K" in NCK was for Koering.
Sorry, brain fart there. You're right that the NCK's were koerings. Can't remember what the N and C stands for though.
Newton Chambers Koehring if I remember correctly.
It might be an L 50 Lima. it looks just like one I worked with in the early '70's. that was in Minnesota.
I meant an L 50 Lorain, they were built in Lima, Ohio
Hello friend, did you already dig with your 395 American?
American 375 BC We have a 1957 American 375 BC and it runs but hasn't been operated in some time- I cannot find an operators manual online nor can the original operator who is 93 remember the controls. Can anyone give me a set of instructions on the controls and use of them? Thanks!
WOW, That machine looks clean for not being run for a long time.
Thanks! Yes, it's in great shape, having been restored/rehabbed and then used lightly for building an open-truss barn and then parked. She starts right up with a good battery, little smoke, the 3-71 GMC sounds great. The problem I'm facing is the controls- some seem stiff beyond reason but maybe this is simply because I'm not pushing the right levers or foot pedals in the right order? I have found the boom cable drum lock so I know I won't drop the boom accidentally- that's my biggest fear! We are trying to check the operation and do a video for selling. It also has the digger shovels a push and a pull style all in excellent shape.
Old thread I know but wondered if you had success with sourcing a manual? We've got the same model crane- a 1957 375 BC.
Terex bought out American Hoist and Derrick Co., so they might be a source for manuals. Hope this helps.
Thanks I'll look into it.
FYI: The "GS" in the serial number of those old American machines, stands for "Gopher Shovel". At least that is what a customer service guy at the American Hoist and Derrick factory told me one time. We has an American 997 dragline at a sand plant I managed. It had a screaming Detroit 6-110 in it. Boy, that machine could move some dirt in an 8 hour day with a good operator. There should be manuals and data around somewhere for that rig, as American sold a lot of machines over the years.
Thanks for the reply- I think you're right some others have said the same and I'm awaiting a response from Terex.
Thank you, I have emailed them. I appreciate the help. We'll let the users here know when/if we sell.
Thanks for the reply- I have emailed Terex, we'll see what they have. We're interested in selling the crane and will be announcing it here, once we have it running.