Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Amount of play in a hydraulic pin grabber?

LCA078 ยท 2019-12-24 14:55

I just acquired a Cat 325BL with a JB Hendrix pin grabber. It's a C-linkage setup so has the 80mm pins, with 13.71" between ears and 19.1" ctc for pins. While I'm on the hunt for attachments, how much play can I get away with on the pin layouts? I'm assuming I have to stick with 80mm pins but not sure how much wider on the ears or +/- on the pin ctc distance? Is there a rule of thumb on this?

Replies5
  1. #1heymccall2019-12-24 17:40

    On my JB Hendrix couplers, they will not accommodate other pin center distances. You need a "multigrab" coupler of you want to run other pin centers.

  2. #2LCA0782019-12-24 22:20

    Thanks for the info. Was hoping I could go an inch shorter to 18.25" ctc as there are some options for me then but doesn't sound like that is possible.

  3. #3LCA0782019-12-29 11:48

    I've been looking on the internet about info on 'multigrab' coupler specs but really have found anything specific for my 325B with C-linkage. I did find this pretty nice brochure for a Case coupler but can't find similar for my Cat. Any recommendations on a good multi-grab coupler for a Cat 325B with C-linkage? CB-linkage also looks to be similar as I could bush the coupler to use 80mm pins instead of 90mm. Not ideal but possible.

  4. #4heymccall2019-12-29 12:17

    Here's a Caterpillar rebranded "Miller Bug" But, all the "multi grab" or "multi fit" couplers run off bucket curl oil, whereas your Hendrix operates at pilot pressure. Putting a used coupler on your machine will, most likely, require a different control valve and a touch of plumbing changes. https://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/construction-attachment/for-sale/26799719/cat-1608288

  5. #5LCA0782020-01-05 19:57

    Heymccall- Yes, I see now how my JB Hendrix coupler is only for one center-to-center pin without any play. I have the Gen 1 version which has no wiggle in it- can easily see that when comparing the link-pin portion between the Cat coupler you posted above and my Hendrix coupler here. I did find some older Cat sales literature that describes the tolerances in some of their older couplers- I'll add them here for other folks who may need them. I'm still amazed at how hard it is to cross-reference parts and pieces to see if they fit for these machines!