Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

An old story [published in a heritage magazine] on stealing business fuel for personal uses

YT1300 ยท 2026-08-24 09:57

Hope this doesn't make any of you turn wide-eyes now! I've had this screencap on my computer (from I think either archive.org or a private website that had pdfs archival) for a good several years by now. You got to wonder exactly what the editor was wondering indeed

Replies4
  1. #1skyking12026-08-24 11:07

    LOL! My dad's brother was a mischievous lout. A real Loki, a master prankster. The neighbor had a new Model A and was so proud of the fuel economy and bragged on it over the fence. Richard immediately came up with a plan. He siphoned off a gallon. The neighbor was concerned and confounded. All his hand calculations showed a problem. Richard repeated this on the next fill up. More hand wringing. Then he started putting it back, randomly.

  2. #2Nige2026-08-24 12:02

    That made me laugh, but it shouldn't really because I had a fair bit of experience of the steelworks in Sheffield as a lad and quite frankly nothing that went on inside the gates would surprise me. (I also have stories of "acquiring" Avgas from a fuel tanker at a local commercial airport while working night shift from around the same time frame.)

  3. #3Junkyard2026-08-24 14:39

    Reminds me of an episode of Gomer Pyle.

  4. #4HATCHEQUIP2026-08-24 15:08

    Could be Earnest T and Charlene