Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

An’ you thought you knew what a hi-sprocket was?????

Deas Plant · 2007-10-21 00:50

Hi, Folks. An' you thought you knew what a 'hi-sprocket drive was, didjya? Well, cop this.

Replies14
  1. #1d4c24a2007-10-21 03:54

    operator hi deas is that D8BOB at the controls of that er um thing ? that might put you off driving hitracs on a slope

  2. #2Deas Plant2007-10-21 09:06

    On letting sleeping dogs lie. Hi D4C24A. Hasn't anybody ever told you to leave sleeping dogs lie? It's been pretty peaceful around here the last couple of weeks and you have to go tempting fate. LOL. Do YOU want to post that photo over on the 'Steep Slopes On Dozers' thread and see if you get any volunteers for a trial run on a 1:1 batter?

  3. #3wrenchbender2007-10-21 09:20

    Looks a little tipsy for me, but then again oil changes & bottom end work would be a snap!

  4. #4stumpjumper832007-10-21 09:25

    To all that thought that cat had the first hi sprocket, sorry cleatrac was first. The cleatrac model f was the first high track produced. Here is a little bit about them, http://cletrac.org/pages/model/pic-F.html Deas, your high trac high crop is still cool

  5. #5Deas Plant2007-10-21 10:36

    The FIRST Hi-sprocket Drive. Hi, Stumpjumper83. I don’t want to put big ugly bootprints all over your post but C. L. Best had the Best Thirty ‘Humpback’ 1913 and Holt built a ditcher with the drive sprocket midway along the track frame and above it in 1910. It also appears that Rollin H White may have gotten his ideas for the steering system in the Model F and later Cletracs from C. L. Best. I have been told that Rollin purchased a tractor and/or patents from Best at the 1916 San Francisco tractor show. This tractor was the Best Sixteen and it gave Rollin the information and other wherewithal to build the Model F in 1919. I seem to remember that there is a post or two about this in a thread about differential steering over at Cletrac.org.

  6. #6stumpjumper832007-10-21 10:43

    Well deas, thanks for the info, I was under the impression that cletrac had the first, but I guess there were a few others that just didnt get the fame. Kinda like bell and the telephone. Anyhow there is some cool pics on that cletrac page of some cool stuff like the cable operated backhoe. Man, heavy equipment sure has came a long way.

  7. #7farm_boy2007-11-11 11:43

    Betcha didn't know that Deere made a high track as well!!! I found this little gem while cruising through the local Deere lot the other day. It appears to be a custom job for vineyard work. Maybe someone else knows more about these conversions. Check out the last picture as a comparison next to a late model 450H!! This thing is really up in the air!!

  8. #8RollOver Pete2007-11-11 11:56

    WoW... Looks like the wind could tip that one over. I bet loading that on a lowbed is fun!

  9. #9FarmerDave2007-11-11 15:58

    I saw a picture of ad old interational TD-9 woth igh tracks like that on the redpower fourum. I think it was ued for goin over trees

  10. #10Construct'O2007-11-11 21:23

    So what was the company using it for now.Looked like it had been in the sand for some reason.Got any ideas?:usa

  11. #11farm_boy2007-11-11 21:44

    I don't have a clue. It definately caught my eye though!

  12. #12Deas Plant2007-11-12 07:33

    Some more. Hi, Folks. Here are some more that have been 'fiddled with'. The last one may not have long legs but it sure has long feet.

  13. #13Countryboy2007-11-12 21:44

    There's one in this thread based on an AC platform: Tree Lifter?

  14. #14alaskaforby42015-03-30 17:50

    Thought I'd revive this old thread. Some pretty unique dozers!