Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ancient d5 brakes locked up

catfixer ยท 2016-09-02 14:05

Had a guy call me and tell me his dozer wouldn't move after sitting for a month. It's a D5 prefix: 96J She goes into gear, but the brakes are locked up. Looking at sis, this machine has band brakes. I inspected all the linkages and such and they go back and forth as they should, but I've never opened up a machine with this older style brake. He just needs it to move so he can sell it. any recommendations on how to go about going about freeing them up or something to check that I may have missed. I know you guys here have a great deal of experience with these older pieces. Thanks!

Replies14
  1. #1lantraxco2016-09-02 14:21

    Assuming it isn't older than I've seen, Have you removed some small cover plates to check the adjuster? Some of those old units I think would kind of overcenter if you let the adjustment get too far out. If you can find the band adjusters on top of the clutch housing or from the rear you can try backing the adjuster off and working the linkage to free them up? YMMV

  2. #2catfixer2016-09-02 14:42

    are those the small rectangular plates on the rear? I didn't see much of any access on top

  3. #3lantraxco2016-09-02 14:48

    Should be, yes, one on either top corner?

  4. #4catfixer2016-09-02 15:40

    yep, I'll pop em off and take a look

  5. #5ben46a2016-09-02 18:18

    There is a small cover on each side on top as well, under the fuel tank. They aren't to bad to get too even to take a look. They're about twice the size of the rear covers.

  6. #6kshansen2016-09-02 18:22

    Not positive but this might be of some help:

  7. #7lantraxco2016-09-02 18:57

    Oh yeah, the adjusters do point up, had it cornfused with the D6C we had I guess....

  8. #8catfixer2016-09-02 21:46

    Is there a chance it's maybe both steer clutches locked up and not the brakes?

  9. #9lantraxco2016-09-03 01:52

    If you pull both levers and the load comes off the engine I would assume it's not the steering clutches?

  10. #10catfixer2016-09-06 17:14

    Went out to the machine this weekend. Fired her up and pulled buth steering clutches as lantraxco advised. Started moving back and forth once I released but now it's not steering at all. Any ideas?

  11. #11lantraxco2016-09-06 17:23

    Okay, so you can stop the machine by pulling both steer clutches, and get each track to drive by releasing the steer clutch on that side? But when you pull the steering clutch on one side and apply pressure to the one brake pedal, does the pedal come up tight, or not, and no braking for turning, on either side? Is that what the machine is doing, or not doing?

  12. #12catfixer2016-09-06 19:35

    I put it in gear, pulled both steering clutches and the load didn't come off the engine. After I released them the tractor be an to move, but now pulling either steering lever doesn't seem to to anything

  13. #13lantraxco2016-09-06 23:43

    Oh great, if it ain't one thing.... now it sounds like the steering clutches are not releasing?

  14. #14catfixer2016-09-07 14:46

    I printed out the steering clutch adjustment procedures. Will see how she fares when I go back in the morning. customer just wants it sold and gone.