Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Andy’s 580B journey/thoughts/questions

drdiesel ยท 2023-04-04 11:27

Hi to all, Working on reviving the 580B i just bought, SN#8737249, which I believe is a 1974 if I interpreted what I found here correctly. Current state is workable, it's running with many hydraulic leaks and I am 100% committed to returning it to service duty. My first leak repair was one of the backhoe swivel joints, found what I believe to be the correct o-ring part numbers by searching here: O-ring #16202 and Backup O-ring #D61902 I ordered the above from Equipment Parts Source (EPS) and both were slightly too small and leaked 10x more. The bag I received from them was not labeled, so no idea if they just sent the wrong parts or what. Reused the org backup rings and replaced the rubber o-rings with some from an assortment I had laying around and so far it's not leaking. I also ordered an entire cylinder rebuild kit from HW Part Store, hopefully they are better than EPS, but I think going forward I'll just order genuine parts from Case. Mine has the 4" out-rigger cylinders and I believe all 2-piece cylinder pistons. I already have one of the out-riggers pulled apart and it is indeed 2-piece. A big thanks to the Astro Pneumatic Tool 4980, aka "Big Nasty" air hammer for having the grunt necessary to push the very stuck and rusted cylinder pins out! Changing the engine oil and fuel filters was easy, but I'm a bit stuck on the diff and trans fluid changes. I pulled the diff plug (the one located in-between the rear tires) and right at 4 gallons of heavy gear oil came out, probably 140 weight. I think the correct fill location for this is one just in front of the battery charger? I found what looks like a drain plug for the trans here but don't see a fill plug anywhere? Is it possibly the breather vent that is located just in front of the 4-speed shifter? Searching here I can find lots of info on the Power Shuffle but not much on my manual shuffle with Hi/Low box. Looks like HiTrans or gear oil is fine for the diff, since I have the manual trans is gear oil also ok for it? Many thanks,

Replies14
  1. #1drdiesel2023-04-04 11:31

    4" cylinders can be a formidable adversary! Took my 36" breaker bar, tight all the way:

  2. #2Never Give Up On Me2023-04-11 11:48

    Hey Dr. Thanks for the pics. I too have a Case 1974 580B CK. So far mine is working great just a few leaks here and there. Keep us updated on your work please. I can see that being very helpful for many members. Thanks again.

  3. #3Tinkerer2023-04-12 08:54

    Welcome to HEF, Never Give Up On Me !

  4. #4drdiesel2023-04-12 09:09

    Will do Sir! So far I've completed both out-rigger cylinders, going to tackle the bucket lift next. I plan to bring this old machine back to 100%, piece by piece but I'll get there eventually. Welcome to the forums, I'm new here as well.

  5. #5drdiesel2023-04-13 08:58

    A new mystery! Looks like I might have some interesting bucket lift cylinders. Started the rebuild yesterday and thought I had purchased the incorrect parts, or perhaps I was sent something in error. After some in-depth discussions with HW Part Store (which has been supurb and went above and beyond to help me) it looks like I have some unique or modified parts. My 580B has 1.75" rod lift cylinders, they should be 1.5" for a normal B according to HW Part Store. Gland parts numbers are G33444, and G33443, which match a 1.5" Rod and a 580B, but indeed have a 1.75" rod. Given the below picture and how the spanner holes are essentially into the rod scraper seal OD, it does appear either somebody machined them out to 1.75", or ???? And the otherside, the G33443: Who knows what or why, but HW Parts Store have sent me some parts for a 580C, which has the 1.75" rod, hopefully I can make the parts work. Can't thanks HW Parts Store enough, they spent a good bit of time with me on the phone yesterday attempting to help solve this issue. More to come when the parts arrive...

  6. #6Tinkerer2023-04-13 09:28

    The pin holes for the gland wrench are way to close the bore to be an OEM. I would say it defiantly has been bored out.

  7. #7drdiesel2023-04-13 09:44

    Which begs the question, why? Can't think of a good reason to pay for that modification vs just a new/rebuilt Orig cylinder. But perhaps somebody with spare cylinders and a lathe got bored. Either-way I'm going to perpetuate its existence!

  8. #8Tinkerer2023-04-13 10:00

    It certainly wouldn't be feasible to pay a machinist to modify a cylinder that much. But, the owner of it may have had a lathe himself or had connections to have it done for very little cost. It would be interesting to see if the piston was altered also.

  9. #9drdiesel2023-04-13 15:32

    While waiting on cylinder parts, maybe I can do something about this: EDIT, and who at Case thought it was acceptable require hydraulic pump removal to swap the fan belt?

  10. #10drdiesel2023-04-14 10:02

    Does a Case website exist where I can turn some of these item numbers into part numbers with pricing? Specifically #s: 7,8,9,10,11 and 12?

  11. #11drdiesel2023-05-01 11:25

    Been super busy and the weather has been crappy, but update time. Received the 580C lift cylinder parts from HW Parts Store and got busy. Ended up with another slight snafu, whoever modified the glands didn't bother to open up the rod seal to match, with a 1.75" rod the rod seal OD was only 2", so a really thin seal. I own a lathe so instead of finding said seal I just machined the glads to accept stock 580C rod seals of 2.25" OD, problem solved. Also fixed the steering, might have a usable machine here this week.

  12. #12drdiesel2023-05-09 15:14

    How about some new gauges? Need to research the fuel tank sender and see if I can add that as well. Also thought about adding a hydraulic temp gauge, can these be worked hard enough to over heat the fluid?

  13. #13Tinkerer2023-05-09 15:28

    If you haven't found the on-line parts book, here is a link to it ---> Parts Books

  14. #14drdiesel2023-05-09 15:32

    That is very helpful, thanks.