Hi All, On a whim I bought this ~1975 Case 580 a few days ago because I have numerous projects around my property and I decided it was cheaper to buy than keep renting (and WAY more convenient). I've never owned any heavy equipment before but do have a Cat 3208 and Cummins M11 I maintain/service myself and I'm generally not afraid to turn a wrench. This old girl was owned by a GC for the last 40 years so it's been worked hard but seems to be maintained in the important areas. It has one hose that needs to be replaced and there's a leak coming from somewhere upfront near the hydraulic pump, but it otherwise works well from what I can tell. I went into this fully aware of how little I know so it's very likely there will be more issues to discover as I start using it. I BELIEVE it's an original Case 580 (CK). This was the predecessor to the 580b yes? How can I confirm? What else do I need to know about this rig? Thanks! -E
Welcome to HEF! We have some good Case guys around. I'm sure they will have some suggestions for you.
That might be the loader number, have a look on the right side just under the steering column for another ID tag.
How many hours on it ? What did you pay for it? If it starts, drives, digs, lifts and just one leak , that’s a lot to like .
1966 After Serial # 8279001 1967 After Serial # 8307001 1968 After Serial # 8332501 1969 After Serial # 8356501 1970 After Serial # 8650001 1971 After Serial # 8674001 If you can find a serial number this may help. It appears to me that it is 66-71 580CK. Judging by the styling and paint, it certainly isn't a 1975. I hope it works out for you. I think I would have looked for a K at least. Writing checks to cover rentals sucks, I get it, but damn.
Ok so I believe it's a 1970 CK then, thank you. Serial# is 8656625 and it says "580CK" right above it on the plate. It does indeed drive/dig/lift no problem with just a couple leaks. Brakes work. Goes forward and reverse in all 4 gears. The GC just did the excavation for his own house with it. Lots of new seals and hoses. Fired right up in 36 degree weather this morning and is a smooth runner. I paid $6k for it.. did I get taken for a run or is that reasonable? The only other comp I could find anywhere in my little mountain town was another 70's 580 with an extendaboom at $12k so I just took a leap of faith based on the general impression I got from the seller.
Honestly, I don't know. It is probably reasonable price, assuming it works. It all depends on what you want to do with it, and what your expectations are. You have less than 50 hp, 4X2, and finding specific parts for it will likely be a chore. Sometimes the aversion to rental just ends up becoming a different allocation of money.
That is a great price, especially in today's market.
I dont think I would regret paying 6000 for that it will be handy to have around if you find a project to big you can always rent in for that specific need
$6k was a good price before covid for something running and and in use. You go buying something that's sat for a while, and you'll put thousands in right off the bat, plus the hassle. I wouldn't be in any rush to dive into maintenance. Check the fluids before you use it each time, and change the filters if they're due. You'll lose some hydraulic fluid here and there, so no point in dumping it all out early.
All the new to me used machinery that ever got in my fleet got a FULL service upon receipt. I got to see the old fluids, I got to see the filters, and I KNOW what fluids are in it now.
Nice old case, welcome aboard!
I used to have one just like it. About the same year. I think I give 5k for mine. About 10 years ago. When it ran it was a fine machine. When it didn't, you couldn't cuss it enough.. Yours looks to be much better condition than the one I had. If you can keep her going, you'll come out good.
and as they say, what you put into it isn’t as important as what you can get out of it.
Thanks all, I'm happy to hear it was a decent deal- I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that it is as healthy as it seems. I hosed it down with degreaser and a power washer yesterday so I can get a better idea of what's leaking. Today I'm going to find all the zerks and clean them out and start figuring out which hoses need to be replaced, I definitely found a few more that may not leak yet but aren't far away from it. Have you all found it worthwhile to own the tooling to make your own hoses or do most of you just go down to NAPA each time you need one?
Based on ROI only it's not worth it, you'd have to make hundreds just to break even.
As far as value, if it works as it should then you are golden. It has not been a production machine for decades now, but consider this: It will out haul and out dig any compact tractor setup and if it makes a few years without much wrenching, it does not owe you anything.
If you're replacing a bunch of hoses, and want to do it cheapest, order them custom made. If you have one that you need fixed now, go to the local hose place if they're open. IF you need to run when they're not open, that's when you need a hose machine, but you wouldn't be buying this machine if that was the case. Other uses for a hose machine are patching hoses, etc. that nobody will do for you. Some hoses on some equipment are almost impossible to get out and back in, splicing on the machine is worth it in those cases when a hose is mechanically damaged.
I just bought a 580d extenda hoe couple weeks ago. not use to this monster as the others i had were a lot smaller. i have downloaded all the manuals. only leak i found was the left swing ram was leaking a lot I've replaced them so as of now i have no leaks. my left brakes need replaced. haven't started on it. still trying to find the power steering unit so i can check the oil. sounds to me that your happy with your purchase and that is a large plus for you. glad to her you can work on it. around my neck of the woods its impossible to find anyone to help. my brother back in 73 showed up with the car he just bought. we went out to look at it and he told me what he paid for it and asked me if i thought it was a good deal and i asked him if he was happy with his new car and he said yes then i told him he had a great deal. sounds like your happy so you got a great deal. this is a very good site for help. just remember that haste makes waste. if you buy through case it will be very costly. there are alot of aftermarket pieces out there so do your homework when you buy things for it. always keep your tractors serial number close. congrads on your purchase.
Not worth it for you to have your own hose machine. You can always get a few various length and size hoses and handful of fittings to get you back home. For older machines, when replacing one hose, I'll usually do them in pairs, like if one loader cylinder hose blows, replace it and go ahead and get the other side too. After a while, you'll have some spare hoses that aren't new, but will still get you out of a bind.
This is a great idea and exactly My style, thank you
580D powersteering works off the main hydraulics